World Update 4: France, Belgium, Netherlands and Luxembourg

Will the water masks be UK and Ireland specific or will it cover their entire water mask library thus far around the globe, in particular along the tropical coasts, all at once ?

I know it is a silly question as most of the Britannic Islands have steep costs and water masking would hardly make any difference.

Southern France, Nice etc looking terrible at the moment , so yes, looking forward for a good update. :+1: :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

I‘m not sure if it‘ll cover their whole library but they said it would cover all the spots that were shown in the various trailers, which includes many tropical places e.g. in the Caribbean and Oceania.

2 Likes

The problem is Bing map coverage, for example in China, Zhangjiajie Grand Canyon

It’s not only low res sat imagary, also full of ugly mismatched transitions.

Google shows it like this

But fat chance, MS will start using Google maps.

2021, large parts of the Earth are still digitally unmapped. Google has issues as well, many rivers lack names and as you can see above, the road overlays are shifted 400 meters all over China.

Anyway, if it’s not on Bing, it won’t be in FS2020.

1 Like

The road overlay is wrong because the chinesse goverment wants this:

I rarely fly in China as a Chinese myself, simply because the satellite image quality in most places is unbearable

Summary : If the aerial image provider was Google we would have way less of a gripe and a lot more towns around the world with vanilla PG.

not really. Bing maps works since it’s connected to Microsoft’s Azure cloud services. That’s how they can ‘relatively easily’ (I’m sure it’s still hard) let the entire globe be processed by blackshark AI etc.

It’s not just availability of satellite data, it’s the whole AI/cloud computing infrastructure.

Anyways, it’s a moot point.

Blackshark is a totally other thing they just create autogenerated buildings, vegetation etc. based upon Bing Maps in as much an AI manner as they are able to.

We are here talking about the Bing Maps’ lack of quality aerial images around the world and referring to the superiority of Google Maps over it.

And I’m saying that all of that doesn’t matter, since Bing maps is a Microsoft product, that’s already present in their Azure cloud.
Even if they wanted to, the couldn’t just inject google maps data into the sim, it needs to go through the Azure cloud and blackshark AI.

And again, regardless, it’s not going to happen, so just give it up.

We are all convinced it won’t change and Bing Maps never feel like to improve as much as Google Maps do. They seemingly might need some other more robust motivation, IMHO, than just MSFS2020.

Based upon non existent Bing map data indeed. You need quality aerial images for Blackshark AI to work. Blackshark uses different sources as well and switches to the digital map when clouds are covering the terrain or the terrain is missing completely. However in China you have the offset interfering.

That offset was in GPS as well, about 200 meters randomly, when I started working with GPS in the 90s. The USA later removed the offset to make GPS useful for civilian application.

What is odd is that the aerial and sat images (digital data) don’t line up with the digital vector maps. It’s both digital data after all, why are those two sources not allowed to match. Or perhaps its a loophole to use aerial imagery to locate the actual spot? Or is the aerial data also offset, yet differently.

Anyway the mismatch between the two digital sources plus the general lack of data on Bing for China, makes it a place to avoid. It does match up in Hong Kong, which has PG data as well (on Google anyway), and yep indeed, right on the border

On Bing it’s shifted through Hong Kong as well

Oh well, no wonder world updates stick to the west and japan, follow the available data.

I dont think we can assume there was any real logic behind the decision by the Chinese Government to offset data on the Bing maps other than the usual “controls” that all communist regimes exhibit where information that is available to the public is concerned.

It would be good to add cities in Photogrammetry ( Amiens , Besançon , Dijon , Tour … and more ) moreover the castles of the north of France are a little forgotten ( Pierrefond castle , Chantilly castle …and more ) if possible also add a texture for the churches :slight_smile:

1 Like

Might it be because China is using a different geodetic system? Most of the world uses WGS 84, China doesn’t. I don’t know if it is still a requirement but when flying in China you needed to disable GPS updating as the Chinese waypoint coordinates don’t match with the GPS ones due to different coordinate system. Maybe it has something to do with it?

@paulanergraz had the answer, it’s deliberate

Just odd that Hong Kong is part of China according to Bing maps (has the offset), Google excludes Hong Kong from the China offset.

And I guess you can still use your GPS with the aerial data, that seems to match up, just no vector maps.

Asobo, please, don’t forget Corsica in this World Update 4. This Island needs better mesh, trees and genoa towers to explore with ,why not, a future Canadair for example. Thanks for your great job. Pace Salute.

3 Likes

Here’s what we learned today:

Airports: Altiport Megève (LFHM), Nice Côte d’Azur Airport (LFMN) and Rotterdam The Hague Airport (EHRD)

Cities: Paris & Amsterdam

1 m digital elevation map for France (Didn’t say for benelux), new aerials, and over 100 POI, bush trip, and landing challenge.

New autogen buildings apporopriate to the region, including churches and windmills.

teaser trailer:

Additional goodies: Japanese + Dutch localizations.

7 Likes

I can’t download World Update 3, so w2hy worry about nan Update 4 and yes I have tried everything and even contacted Zen desk with no reply

Shame on you, I sent you a message in DISCORD, no reply. what up with that? lol