Wrong temperatures

Yes i totally agree. How fun is it to predict the weather to 100% with static and sometimes old metar data? The fun with this sim is that it’s not totally accurate with metar data. I forecast the weather on https://www.meteoblue.com/ on the weather map to get the winds, temp and radar i need to plan my flight. I’, not using vatsim but i think vatsim should look att that forecast instead of metar when dealing with msfs simmers in the future.

Yep - I ran the same tests as yesterday and the issue appears to be fixed and my numbers in the flight levels match real world data.

Can confirm steady expected temps in flight this evening.

I’m currently doing my LFBD to KSEA run… so far… no issues except for the mismatch altitude… 2nd time trying…

I also did a flight an hour ago cruising at FL360 using Live Weather… The temperature was fine from takeoff to landing.

They must have been doing something on the server side, which fixed this issue.

1 Like

Good for me

1 Like

Works for me now too, except for the other bug-- the one that makes ATC start complaining that you’re above or below your assigned altitude. I think that bug happens when the live weather is updated, or the plane flies into a different weather area. After the weather changes, the sim fails to consider that the plane is above the transition altitude, and thinks the plane should be at the altitude it would be at if the baro is set to the sea level pressure.

Yep! Temperature was fine for me too tonight! Did two legs, 3 hours, no problem! :+1:

1 Like

That one is different and is addressed here: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/vatsim-ivao-pilotedge-users-be-aware-of-an-important-bug/426142/160?

you are at 20.000 ft and you have +12c …its not so good…

1 Like

God, please stop saying it is fixed, the live weather works, and no problem with live weather. It has been like this for weeks now. Suddenly work and suddenly not work. I will never say the liver weather works or is fixed if they don’t release a new update or hotfix that addresses the live weather issue.

1 Like

What do you mean by live weather? It involves many things. This thread is about something very specific, so can you be more specific in relation to the context of this thread when you say live weather does not work? That would help with keeping this thread on point.

Flew YPAD - YAYE today and first flight in a week or more in that the temps didn’t go crazy at high altitudes. But temperatures at the airports were not accurate, e.g. YAYE was 12c when should be 17c, altimeter was 1021 vs 1024 actual. Although general sky / wind conditions were accurate. So seems mixed bag.

A TAT temperature of +12 at 20,000 in a high speed aircraft feet would be perfectly normal - especially in summer. However a SAT of +12 would not be normal for that altitude.

1 Like

They have temporarily disabled the injection of real-time METAR winds and temperatures at airports from the weather servers, as it definitely appears that the surface conditions were “intruding” into the upper level weather and causing the high temperature bug. As a result, at the moment, airport surface weather is coming from the MeteoBlue model only.

It would be easy to assume that the high temperature bug is related to SU5, but the problem actually started several days before SU5 was released. It is strange, because airport METAR weather injection (for wind, temperature and pressure) has been working well since Asobo first added that feature to Live Weather late last year.

Perhaps something recently changed in the way that either the MeteoBlue data or the METAR data is formatted on the server that now allows the two data streams to interfere with each other.

I would like to have accurate METAR surface winds and temperatures back, but not until they fix the interference issue, because the bug was making it impossible to fly at high altitudes.

7 Likes

I wonder if it’s caused by a delay in the weather feed. I keep saying, it should not be exact and we shouldn’t expect that, nor should we want it. The observation is taken at a point in time, usually, the top of the hour. The wind of that observation are an average of what is experienced over several minutes. Weather changes during the rest of the hour and only certain things would cause the weather department to do a special observation. Wind, in particular, on a typical day, will vary constantly by 20 to 30 degrees either side of that in the observation and may change to another direction entirely. Wind speed will vary as well…up or down 3-5 knots unless something changes like frontal passage. (NOTE: The reason the tower gives the wind every time they clear an airplane for takeoff or to land is because it changes constantly. Listen to the wind every time they say it. Not just when he clears you to land. That’ll give you a sense for how much its varying. The trouble in the sim is that they don’t have a real-time anemometer to observe. In the real world, they do…the windsock is your friend. :slight_smile: )

My point is this: deal with it. That’s what you need to do. Don’t expect it to be perfect and, sometimes, expect it to be wrong. Be on guard and deal with with the weather you have.

EDIT: To clarify this. I did not mean to be rude by saying “deal with it”…lord knows we have enough people being less than kind. What I should have said was “accept the challenge” or “roll with it”. You’re a pilot and, due to a somewhat inaccurate observation, you’re in a pickle. Maybe the observation says there’s a 2,000 ft ceiling but you’re down at 1,000 and still haven’t broken out. It happens. Go through the steps a real pilot has to. What if you need to go around? Hand on throttle, recall the go-around procedures, the missed approach procedures, where obstacles are, what you’ll say to ATC. Once you do the missed approach you can consider what you’ll do next…try a different approach or go to an alternate. It adds something to your experience and teaches you…and it’s rewarding when you do it well.

1 Like

What is working now and what is not working? Is it still over 40 degrees Celsius at 35,000-45,000 ft or is that fixed ? Small differences to real time weather are ok, but 40 degrees Celsius in cruise flight is not acceptable.

At the moment, the bug is not present. The high temperatures aloft appear to be directly related to the injection of real time METAR surface weather at airports. They have turned off the METAR injection, probably to stop people flying with Live Weather from getting the high temperature bug while they troubleshoot why the METAR data is interfering with the upper level MeteoBlue weather.

THE BUG IS BACK LOL SMH WELL I GUEST WE ALL HAD TO MUCH FUN WHILE IT LAST kewr to kmsp

and now it just went back to normal lol in 3 mins