Xbox pad settings

Hi

I have been finding flying with an xbox pad fine on my series x, but i’m curious if there is some recommended settings on here for things like sensitivity.

Also in the assist settings there is an assist for those that use an xbox pad, I have always had this enabled, should I be looking to disable this?

Thanks

1 Like

The assist does seem to offer a better touch with landings, so I just keep it on anyway.

As for sensitivity. My left sticks X and Y (Elevator and Aileron) are something like -80%, on top of that I’ve also taken a bit off my Left and Right Triggers (Rudder). As you’ve probably realized already, you don’t need much input in order to have a big effect. This helped me big time, you can achieve much finer adjustments as the aircraft become less twitchy and have a greater sense of weight to them.

1 Like

same here, turned down sensitivity a lot and helped (though it always feel like too much input is given)

I’m considering to get a velocity one in the near future to really enhance the experience but I’m hesitant given the price and the not so rave reviews

1 Like

Thanks what do you have for the rudder, I will give these settings a go.

1 Like

I had to boot up and check, I have the + part at -50%, I haven’t touched any deadzones or anything else.

1 Like

Assisted controller sensitivity has a better sensitivity curve so you dont have to move your fingers so precisely. Its more noticeable on agile planes. Keeps you from oversteering your AOA.

1 Like

I think I’ve found a way to get very good precision from the controller (game pad? Is that what we are talking about here?). What I’ve done:

I now run -50% on the thumbstick and trigger curves, but more importantly with an extremity deadzone of 50% on the left thumbstick. This was a GAME CHANGER for me! It gave me a lot more precision within the range.

Note: I exclusively fly GA, and I can’t see any reason one would need more than 50% elevator or aileron deflection (unless you’re flying stunt aircraft).

Hope this helps!

1 Like

Thanks will have a fiddle when Im on next. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Cheers everyone.

1 Like

So your mod with the deadzone gives even greater precision? I’ll try this out and see what I think.

Correct!

Just be sure to add a positive extremity dead zone rather than a negative one (e.g +50%) and ONLY on the left thumb stick.

The extremity dead zone doesn’t function as you’d expect. Usually an “outer” or extremity deadzone of +50% would ignore all thumb stick movement beyond 50%, but that is not the case here! Rather, you’re only getting 50% elevator deflection, but it is spread out over the entire thumbstick’s range of movement.

However, if you add a negative extremity dead zone (e.g. -50%) then it results in behavior we’d expect from a typical outer dead zone. I had originally misunderstood what the outer-deadzone function does and it should probably re-named.

Anyway, give it a try and see what you think!

@RomoRocket Here are my current sensitivity settings…

3 Likes

Don’t suppose any of you could post a pic of your Xbox pad settings, just easier for me to note them down for me to try. No worries if not.

Thanks very much for the image, much easier to copy and try.

I tried this rudder out and it’s not too bad with general flying yet the landing is kinda weird. I can’t really flare as much as I’d like. There’s definitely a sweet spot here developing.

I have a pair of high rise Game Freeks that I may attempt at using again with this. In theory you can get away with higher sensitivity adjustments from just as much movement as before. There’s really no right or wrong setup, it’s down to what works for the individual huh.

Do you have the xbox sensitivity assist enabled as well out of interest. Im wondering if that needs to be disabled if I make changes to the sensitivity settings?

I have default settings with the sensitivity assist and auto rudder enabled and that helps significantly. I have feeling some of the accessibility settings are not functioning across all aircraft as they should - AI Trim for example is a bit hit and miss I find. Hopefully this will get sorted.

2 Likes

yes same here. flying is better than my usual setting but while landing feels like I’m missing a lot of flare capabilities

it may be I need to get used or better settle the final approach phase

I reckon bumping it up a bit for me personally may help, it feels good but you easily notice you don’t have as much response from the rudder.

@RomoRocket yeah always keep that assist on. You can create multiple controller profiles which you can duplicate if that helps. Look around hard enough and you’ll see soon enough that you can do stuff like that. There’s really no need to panic if you’re afraid you’ll lose your settings.

1 Like

Thanks, I will try the above Settings in image I think at the weekend, please let me know if you get the flair issue improved.
I fly the a320 quite a lot, although lately light aircraft for a bit of scenic exploration.

Ah, my recommended extremity dead zone settings (see image above) have given me trouble when flying the default A320. The A320’s FM is very docile, which requires “big inputs” and being limited to 50% travel on left thumb stick doesn’t help. The FBW A320 is different and I’m not talking about that one.

Again, I usually fly GA, so the default A320 doesn’t get much time out of my hangar anyway, and as RandyFlagg9653 brilliantly noted:

Totally agree!

1 Like

Yeah, it requires a lot of test though I have to thank you for the explanation on the extremity dead zone, I had no clue

1 Like