[Xbox Series X/S] Visual Downgrade - LOD Reduction

MODERATOR EDIT:
This post was merged into the topic.

:wave: Thank you using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No. (Xbox Series X)

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons?

I don’t use scenery add-ons.

Brief description of the issue:

With Sim Update 11, it seems the ground textures have been cut back on Xbox, and they are extremely blurry even from a low altitude. The textures resemble the low-end setting on PC. See the screenshots below. Previously, runways could be clearly seen against the environment even from a distance. Now they’re just a blur in the scenery. The screenshots are from California, but this applies to everywhere in the world. Scenery is blurry everywhere, tested in Europe as well.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Start a flight on Xbox Series X anywhere in the world, and look at the scenery from a few thousand ft.

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

N/A

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

1.29.28.0 (Sim Update 11 / 40th Anniversary Update)

3 Likes

There are threads about this already.

The bad news? This seems to be a rollback for all Series X users.

The good news? It has been logged by the developers as a bug. A sign they intend to fix things eventually.

3 Likes

All I’ve seen is about photogrammetry and pop-in which are different topics. The root cause may be related but the blurry scenery is something that applies everywhere, not just city environments like the others.

1 Like

It is still LOD related but fair point.

1 Like

This is where things get confusing.

After a major update we do often have server issues. Like, MS doesn’t want to waste server resources on games that don’t need the overhead, and sometimes there is a player boost like a major Anniversary update that draws more players back than was expected. So it can take a few days to stabilize.

It does make it more difficult to know what is a server issue and what is a LOD issue.

And it is VERY easy for folks to assume they are connected.

But the server problems will likely stabilize as the player base returns to a more normal size and/or when more server resources are provided to MSFS for smooth running with a higher than average player base.

LOD handles how far away you see high fidelity things like trees, detailed meshes, high resolution ground textures, buildings, vehicles, night lighting, and photogrammetry.

TLDR: If you are seeing square chunks of textures pop in, or melted looking photogrammetry, that is usually a server issue. Everything else is likely lowered LOD.

2 Likes

Included are two images. The image with buildings is SU10, buildings deleted image is SU11. Please return to the SU10 settings to return the buildings and give us sliders so we can make our own graphics decisions on consoles.

3 Likes

SU 11 makes this game look like I"m back playing on Playstation 2.

9 Likes

The discussion in this topic is not intended to be limited to city environments. The LOD reduction clearly affects ground textures across the board, whether it’s city or rural. The issue you’re reporting definitely belongs in this thread.

2 Likes

I wish my PS2 could do this back in the days:

2 Likes

Better than a PS2 is a pretty low bar. I think the main issue is it’s gotten worse. Even on a PS2 you would expect one iteration of a game to be graphically superior to the previous one.

5 Likes

I heard the Anti-Aliasing is disabled too. On Xbox, resulting on much worse jaggies. Can anyone verify?

3 Likes

Here’s a comparison with a screenshot I took over a year ago :sweat_smile:

Tried to get same location/lighting/time of day etc.

VFR navigation is hard work right now :smiling_face_with_tear:

26 Likes

Yeah that is unbelievably bad. Can’t see how people can look at this through their fingers.

10 Likes

Did they think people wouldn’t notice this huge downgrade? Or did they not notice? It doesn’t make sense.

10 Likes

All is said :pensive::pensive:

Very disappointed 
 :pensive::pensive::pensive::pensive:

8 Likes

Global warming is a real concern.

We don’t know. Odds are they knew they were rolling things back and knew (because look at us) that people would notice. Also the bug was logged during beta. A sign this isn’t working as intended and it will be fixed eventually. Also confirmation they are aware of this issue.

3 Likes

Right, glad to see it’s been logged. They probably couldn’t get to it for the SU11 release but perhaps they’ll improve it in the next update.

2 Likes

What a shame
 :pensive::pensive::pensive::rage::rage::rage::rage:

1 Like

Or in a hot fix. But yeah, the Anniversary only comes around once. And this is the version they had ready to go for it.

1 Like