[Xbox Series X/S] Visual Downgrade - LOD Reduction

All: Remember to be constructive throughout your posts. Thank you.

Devilā€™s advocate but what if the constructive part was sharing the frustration and disappointment. Simply saying itā€™s been logged and hopefully itā€™ll get fixed doesnā€™t help with putting pressure to get this issue solved. Just acknowledges itā€™s there, not how much it means that users with downgraded features are stuck with it for a few months during a time of the year where people typically will have more leisure time. As a PC user and having high hopes for the changes with AI, after testing I am still disappointed and will use other options until things improve, with core issues like these being talked about here, those users donā€™t have that luxury.

10 Likes

My hypothesis on why itā€™s not a server issue is because I havenā€™t heard reports of these things from PC users. But I could be wrong. Just eager to figure this out sooner rather than later.

5 Likes

Also it was present during beta where the servers hosted fewer live players. Usually beta servers are a bit smoother due to lower traffic.

4 Likes

It was doing pretty much the same thing during the Beta ,we could see this heavy downgrade coming.

3 Likes

I been the game is crashing alot since sim update 11 :hot_face:

1 Like

Iā€™m so thankful for shots like yours. You cannot argue with those two back-to-back.

11 Likes

I find setting mine to 60hz the sim runs smoother. For some strange reason setting it to 120hz is not as fluid.

2 Likes

Xbox X owner. Been flying MSFS since this past December.

Was out of town but reading the reports about this pending downgrade with the SU11 update and, to be honest, I thought it was probably way overblown based on the Beta. I was thinking it would be annoying but something that could be ignored.

Got home today and updated the sim. Been playing around a few hours. All I can say is this is absolutely horrible and one step above trash. I am shocked at how bad it is and equally shocked at the fact that MS and Asoboā€™s QA/QC would allow this to happen. Just as disturbing is how there is ZERO acknowledgment just ā€œbug loggedā€. Bug? This is considered a bug? Wow.

Iā€™m really trying to put this into perspective. This is a silly video game and I have plenty of other legit things in my life to focus on. But, this game was so fun and kind of therapeutic to me to escape from my real job and life stresses (I happen to work in the aviation industry) and the realism was a big part of my like and escape - thus the reason I put in all the hours doing it. The fact this has been allowed to take place to a large portion of the MSFS customer base AND there is no explanation is frankly egregious. I wonā€™t be ā€œplayingā€ this game from this point forward it so bad. For me itā€™s time to ā€œturn the pageā€.

29 Likes

100 percent this! I have played this game on Xbox to relax after a long day at work or with family or whatever life situation. Just lay back on the sofa, grab the controller, and fly around. And I am one of those people who NEVER spends any money on video game addonā€™s. But in MSFS, I did! I loved the different liveries and airports etcā€¦ Only game in my life I spent money on other than the original purchase price (in this case gamepass sub). And I was proud of being a member of the MSFS community and supported it on Xbox like my life depended on it!

Now after SU11, I have NO DESIRE AT ALL to play this garbage! Itā€™s like all the positive experiences Iā€™ve had for this game just got erased in one update. Just really sucks!

19 Likes

I havenā€™t turned the page on this sim yet, but Iā€™m not using it until this issue is resolved. That isnā€™t a protest; rather, I simply donā€™t enjoy the sim enough to want to fly when it looks like this.

I completely share the frustration. If this was an intentional downgrade, itā€™s shameful how little transparency we got. Iā€™m still hoping that this is a bug, otherwise Asobo really has their work cut out for them when it comes to balancing visual fidelity and stability. Iā€™m not going to be satisfied unless they optimize on both fronts for us Xbox users, which is making me very nervous for the future of this sim.

15 Likes

I downloaded SU11 beta like last week - I did not know they were going to release it this past Friday.

I hated the beta so much for a lot of the stuff already mentioned in this thread. I even posted on here how to go back to SU10.

Now I thought with the way the SU11 beta was just this past Wednesday, this was still a work in progress and it would come out in 1-3 months after they fixed all the issues. Because I thought w/ all the things wrong in SU11, it would take them at least a month or two to fix it. But ā– ā– ā– ā– , it came out like 2 days later real life! OMG! How? How do you release this when it was so bad!

8 Likes

Same hereā€¦was so excited about this 40th Anniversary update and everything just went downhill on Xbox Series X. I havent had any CTDs in a couple months and since applying this update Iā€™ve had 8 since yesterday. Land textures/graphics are very poor quality, framerate is inconsistentā€¦ SU10 was perfectly fine. List just goes onā€¦ canā€™t even take off with the Darkstar anymore ā€¦ if you can fly a helicopter for more then 3 minutes its a miracleā€¦ and the Princess Juliana airport updateā€¦a small company or individual put in so much effort to make it look great for a small fee already and now with your update (that cant be uninstalled) runway graphics are misaligned, static airplanes are overlappingā€¦such a mess overall. Sorry just frustrated, this is my go to game everyday : (

8 Likes

You mean for the future of Xbox users of the sim. The MSFS franchise at its core has always been computer based and the decision and inclusion to go outside of that into console gaming is one to be applauded but recognize that this is new territory for them. One could easily argue there are essentially two versions of the sim sharing the same version number, the computer users and the Xbox users. The amount that people dump and invest into custom cockpit setups and addonware is too great a risk for them to permanently upset this side of the FS fence.

1 Like

Thatā€™s a great pointā€¦This isnā€™t a protest by me either. I too simply want to spend my time and money on the things I enjoy.

The other part of this evolving situation that interests me is, what percentage do you all think X Box users are for the platform? Clearly when MS marketed the reintroduction of the franchise, the ability to bring in new ā€œsimmersā€ vis console was a big part of their overall strategy. Maybe there arenā€™t as many of us as I think, but I contend our money certainly benefits the PC users and the overall future health and sustainably of the franchise as well. Maybe I donā€™t know what Iā€™m talking about here but reading the PC user blame X Box for overall challenges of the game is funny to me. The saying ā€œeat their ownā€ comes to mind.

1 Like

Valid point there, collectively whether a PC or Xbox user, we are all in some extent benefitting the other. The finer details of that may or would involve a more in depth analysis but as it stands, thereā€™s still a clear dividing line which unfortunately seem to be sided more towards Xbox, in an unfair manner.

1 Like

Youā€™re right, I meant the future of the sim on Xbox. Understandably, thatā€™s what Xbox users like me are most concerned with.

No worries, Iā€™m trying my best to not be offensive and come across as us PC users being holier than thou and looking down on the Xbox users. I myself have been moderately disappointed with some changes between the Beta and the release version. Those changes also left me with a great sense of being let down since most of the related changes and disappointments were ones that had been heavily discussed and voiced here on the forums well before the release. Hopefully since the next cycle doesnā€™t have an immense 40th anniversary deadline attached to it and since theyā€™ve dropped in a ā– ā– ā– ā–  ton of new aircraft, we can finally have some much needed TLC devoted to the core of the sim itself.

1 Like

Also, Xbox Cloud Gaming service uses a (slightly better) Xbox Series X hardware. Itā€™s really not welcome this shameful quality decrease for the casual consumers.

=====

And, well, I must confess that I already had convinced myself to accept the inferior graphics and also the permanent infuriating white dot, requiring additional steps to hide it, BUT EVEN VRR IS BROKEN NOW, not unlocking frames per second.

This feature was exhaustively repeated everywhere when the Xbox version was released. If even this will be taken from us permanently, Iā€™m gonna literally forget and give up, because itā€™s literally unplayable for me. Itā€™s giving me a huge headache and eye strain this 30 FPS lock.

I posted here weeks ago telling I honestly couldnā€™t believe they could downgrade graphics so much, specially in this anniversary update, WHERE WE HAVE HELICOPTERS TO FLY SLOWER AND LOWER.

Actually, I would never imagine it could be EVEN WORSE.

9 Likes

Yes.

It was always intended to be a flagship launch title for the new consoles. They knew the potential PC market and looked to move it to console and cloud gaming too.

If I recall correctly, MSFS was announced WITH the new consoles.

Also, titles funded by Microsoft these days tend to come out on Xbox and PC, and day one on GamePass.

It is safe to say Game Pass and consoles played a role in projected profits which lead to getting MSFS the green light.

COVID happened and ultimately pushed back console release for a year, but the new consoles were touted from the day it was announced.

It is safe to say consoles played a role in getting this version of MSFS off the ground.

I really donā€™t understand why this is being questioned.

5 Likes