[Xbox Series X/S] Visual Downgrade - LOD Reduction

Allright, today I spend €50 on 5 new airports which were so high on my wish list for ages. It’s a sale after all. They looked beautiful and performed outstanding.

I hope I can continue to use them as time goes by. That’s a big concern for me, but I’m willing to take the risk.

I initially thought the LOD transition was at two levels (Mips, whatever Asobo is using) but I’m astonished to see five Mips, all within ~2000ft! I did capture a 4K video at LOWS, but obviously won’t be uploading a 100+MB file here, and even 4K screenshots are getting on for 20MB, so I’ve had to make do with 1080p images due to upload limits.

I’ve no idea what these will look like on here, but the texture LOD transitions are extremely clear on my TV while in showcase mode. 3D LOD, i.e. buildings/trees LOD radius, seems to remain the same at all altitudes, so possibly an intentional cutback. But the texture LOD; bug? Server issue? Who knows? Well, hopefully MS/Asobo do.

Again, if the five LODs aren’t clear from these shots, simply point your camera down in showcase mode at ground level and increase altitude. The first four Mips (again, whatever they’re called) seem to show within ~1000ft, the final, and all destroying fifth at ~2000ft.

Without further ado …

2 Likes

think its permanent been like this since beta 11:'(

In all honesty, is this a real big problem? Especially considering the scale of this simulator, and it had to run on Series S as well etc etc etc.

I highly doubt that the “average Joe” on console will make such a fuzz about it. IF he/she is even noticing.

As far as I can tell, those pictures look outstanding.

I understand and appreciate that this kind of thing is very subjective, but can you honestly look at the fifth image (zoom in slightly or better still, replicate what I’ve done yourself within the sim) and not think the texture quality is appalling?

It’s not even at 2000ft and already the runway is virtually a soup.

4 Likes

I zoomed in to the max on my phone. Off course, there is degradation. But honestly, why should I do that when flying???

I appreciate your effort, but I think we should agree to disagree on this👍

Heh, OK my friend. Well if you’re simming on your phone then maybe you’d not notice, but on a large TV the huge texture downgrade at under 2000ft is clear to see.

4 Likes

Lol no I’m simming on my 65"OLED😉

Well I was starting to think that United was an Asobo employee!

As stated in my above imagefest post, it’s extremely simple to see for yourself, United, what people are finding unacceptable. Enter showcase mode; face the camera down onto a runway number; increase height (drone speed 30 is sufficient); witness runway number and all surrounding ground textures degrade until at ~2000ft runway number is no longer readable.

Now, United, if you consider runway numbers not being readable at 2000ft on a clear day as acceptable, then as you aay, we will have to agree to disagree. Being a longtime VFR simmer, I prefer to be able to see ground detail at low altitudes.

Let’s be clear here, even an unmodded FSX displayed clearer ground textures at 2000ft.

9 Likes

Those screenshots are all taken low enough that the buildings below you are all close enough to be within the draw distance. It’s also possible that the hardware that runs the cloud version isn’t affected.

If I didn’t love this sim so much I wouldn’t be on here trying to make a fuss over it. Of course I’d rather be on the forum talking about which plane to buy or figuring out some obscure question about airplane systems or flight procedures. But this visual degradation affects the core of my experience with the sim and all I want to do is make sure Asobo is aware of what is happening and makes it a priority to investigate it. Then I can go back to spending an inordinate amount of my time enjoying the sim and all that comes with it.

4 Likes

the visual degradation is there and huge, maybe not everyone may notice since not every eye is there though denying it is absurd

the draw distance and the details aren’t there anymore and perceivable in and outside cockpit, near and far objects and the terrain is simply not acceptable on this hardware

the update was huge and I’m very grateful for that, i can’t count the days waiting for a high fidelity airliner and the a310 is top quality

but cmon, in this state is hard to not point that out and call for a rollback in textures quality and draw distance, we were already there

13 Likes

I think saying the visuals have been reduced is a huge understatement. I apologise if people think I’m banging the same drum, but seriously, please take a minute and do as I ask.

Go to showcase mode above a runway number and simply increase altitude. The number (after several LOD transitions) becomes unreadable at ~2000ft. Now this isn’t just a small gripe aired by a bunch of entitled prats, this is bloody ridiculous and not one person should be saying it’s fine, unless, of course, you’re flying IFR with full FMC input and spend all of your time looking at the cockpit.

MSFS2020 since launch has lent itself very well to VFR flying due to it’s great scenery. That cannot be said since SU11 dropped. And maybe that’s what MS intended; more focus on jets/IFR meaning cuts had to be made to better accommodate that side of the sim. If there’s even an element of truth there, then I’ve spent almost £200 on something that is no longer what it once was.

17 Likes

I cannot see this being the case — they just gave us helicopters, gliders and a number of non-pressurized vintage aircraft not suited for IFR.

7 Likes

Ha, yep, good point. Excuse my haste with that speculation, but until MS share anything with us, speculation is all I have.

1 Like

We might be able to do more than just sitting on our eggs while they work out a fix.

I’ve been actively working toward getting some questions regarding this issue included in the next developer Q&A. In case that falls through, they do take some live questions during the stream. Since many of us are feeling so passionate about the resolution of this issue, I’d suggest we all tune into that Q&A and post our relevant questions in the chat. I’m sure they’ll feel more compelled to take this seriously (maybe just by giving us more information) if they see that much of the community is concerned with it.

The livestream will be on November 18th 1:30PM EST. Here’s a link to the announcement post with more info:

14 Likes

i’m on S…i’m saddened to be stolen now…all my pleasure is wasted…the trees are no longer visible at 100m…the textures and the cities in disgusting 2d plates. where mfs was doing prowess on S now there is no more pleasure.

13 Likes

I was flying north of chicago w/ a cessena. hit the button to look back to downtown and it wasn’t even there. It then rendered the entire chicago skyline . then changed the view and looked back again like 4 times and same thing. the game didnt even save the first rendering . looked cheap as F!

5 Likes

Id also like to comment, hoping the developers are reqding this.

The past coue of months have been the most fun playing this sim on series x. The world simply looked amazing. There were several moments that i can think back to that i had to literally pause just to admire how incredible this sim looked.

Now…its bight and day. Everything looks washed out, everything looks flat, and theres massive pop in. The world looks way worse, not just a little worse. This has made me not want to fly as much as i used to, and whenever i fly now i mostly just get dissapointed at the incredibly poor visuals.

Its honestly really really bad, but atleast i always get a smooth framerate now. I would trade the framerate for the old visuals in a heartbeat though.

Thank you for anyone that actually took the time to read my rant lol

21 Likes

This update has really ruined the whole game for me. I love the gliders but the graphics is too bad. I would really prefer to go back to SU10 if that would be possible

19 Likes