[Xbox Series X/S] Visual Downgrade - LOD Reduction

PC user here. No negative issues aside from live traffic which is being investigated. Smooth as butter and the LOD hasn’t been affected. More notable the overall memory usage has been reduced to sub 50’s where as it would have been higher than that before back in SU10.

1 Like

I know you asked someone else, but lemme chime in.

Graphics calibration is different on PC. Often an update will give you better or worse performance but after massaging the visual settings for a while, you can get back to the performance you are used to. When all is said and done, it looks as good as it did before, just maybe a little different.

Like, now PC has a DLSS option. Folks can bump a LOT of other details UP if DLSS is working for them, but textures might be a little blurry. So it would look better in ways and worse in others.

With PC you can always add something if you take something else away which is different than this Xbox update where we only lost fidelity for no apparent visual gains.

TLDR: It can be really hard to tell sometimes on PC if an update is better or worse because you often have to change so many settings to get similar performance, you lose track of what is different.

3 Likes

But in a general sense, PC is so much more customizable whereas Xbox is literally more of a one way street.

2 Likes

And intentionally so. Usually that makes a console a joy to use… but simmers are a unique breed of gamer.

not to speaks for others but firstly i didn’t notice any difference on pc, but right now i’m trying a flight in NZ with orbx mesh that prior to this update did make such a subtle difference it wasn’t noticeable but now it cleary shows how superior textures are compared to any other part of the world i flyed today

so it seems something is happening cross platform (even though the degradation seems more apparent when i’m on xbox)

1 Like

And this is my experience on Xbox right now over Italy with World Update installed. A beautifully rendered Ryan NYP plane (can’t recommend this aircraft enough) in an ugly, blurry world out of X360 era games. With mountains popping into existence before my eyes, which wasn’t happening in SU10. It’s just sad. I have all online data turned on in the settings.

The ground textures look like heavily (99 percent) compressed JPEG pictures.

12 Likes

That is not even close to a fair trade. 60 FPS doesn’t matter when the planet looks terrible.

8 Likes

Not for you, and that was never my point anyway.

It is the type of drop in fidelity folks might expect when they choose a 60 FPS option over 30 FPS. But in our case we lost a lot of fidelity without anything gained in return.

3 Likes

Your about to celebrate your 40th anniversary, thinking your gift is an amazing iPhone 14
Pro max and suddenly all you won is a galaxy pocket. It resumes everything

4 Likes

The pictures being posted are truely sad. The splash screen intro pictures are a slap in the face and constant reminder each time the sim is launched.

13 Likes

Any word on when they’ll be resolving this? Is this on Xbox only?

• stutters are back
  • photogammetry is broken or loads late
  • LOD looks horrendous unless you fly very close to the ground
  • everything looked and moved better with SU10

Asobo, what have you done?

Can’t play the game for now. Contemplating uninstalling it to save some space and play other games.

7 Likes

They said they will address it on the livestream on Friday.

1 Like

Address it? Right…

So that means they will just acknowledge it and tell us why it’s happening or actually plan to roll out a fix?

I never vent on this game and always forgive it’s shortcomings but this is downright unacceptable! It feels like the textures have gone back to the ps2 era.

Can you post a link to the live stream please? Many thanks for the response :blush:

@FL991R

4 Likes

Hi all! Wanted to do some expectation setting - we just announced a new Beta Update coming tomorrow:

Unfortunately this will not yet contain fixes for the Xbox LOD issue as our team is still working on it. Just a heads up!

20 Likes

It’s here at 1830 UTC

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up! I got the notification of the beta before this thread and got my hopes up for a split second. Please keep this great communication coming, thanks! :+1:

6 Likes

Thanks for the info Jayne, I feel at least a little better as you seem to be acknowledging this as an “issue” . If it wasn’t a deliberate decision to reduce visuals, I am happy to wait for a fix.

3 Likes

Thank you!

Official confirmation this is being actively worked on.

Will it make this beta release eventually? Who knows?

But folks experiencing this issue, they ARE officially working on it!

4 Likes

Really it’s the very impressive downgrade from this SU 11. before in the SU 10 on X the LOD was bea
utiful

2 Likes

Does that mean no resolution to the LOD issue even through the next beta? How many months is this going to take? Unacceptable, hopefully we get a clear answer on Friday.

1 Like