Xbox series X simply cant handle Microsoft Flight Simulator

I had the world map gang as well .
What area did you fly?

UK, south just outside of London at a local airfield near me. There is another thread on it, but the turb feels a little excessive now to me.

1 Like

They said it’s memory makes CTD how long do we have to wait for them to fix it? Hopefully it won’t be too much longer

As a PC user, add in the flickering I’ve seen reported by Xbox users on the Official SU9 Thread. I have these very badly, it’s like a strobe light in the windows

1 Like

If you can find a way to keep tender scaling at 100 or compatible (I think 50, 150, and 200) it should quell the issue on PC.

1 Like

I’m going to give this a shot, and thanks!

1 Like

Update 9 and the Xbox series X still can’t handle MSFS. I rest my case.

1 Like

What 9 updates has Xbox received?

Xbox Series X is perfectly capable of handling MSFS. It’s the many, many bugs since SU9 what is ruining the experience.

8 Likes

It can. It’s just bug ridden at present, and poorly optimised. But we’re talking about a mid-to-low-high end PC here, specs wise. So it can definitely handle it.

1 Like

Still?

That’s strange because SU7 and SU8 were great for me and many other’s, maybe you got a duff xbox.

1 Like

also there’s plenty of posts concerning uber high end pc with performance issues, so it’s not hardware related (obviously the more the better but i guess pointing the finger to the hardware is misleading)

1 Like

They said it’s memory links hopefully they will fit it soon

Things have been fairly smooth for me on the Series X the last few days with the exception of a couple of specific areas which I’m really starting to feel are objects or other features that are bugged at those locations only. These are stock areas of scenery (with the World Updates installed) not 3rd party scenery packages. The area in particular the other evening was very smooth flying except when I panned my view towards a specific geographic feature and then I would get a noticeable hang for a couple of seconds. I could spin my view inside or outside the cockpit, or turn the aircraft towards the feature, and it would hang at the some point each time which it didn’t do at other flying locations. So, it’s not the aircraft for example.

I’ve also been feeling for a while, given there a better days & problem days for overall smoothness, and given the hardware doesn’t change and is not subject to “tweaking” by the end user, that Xbox users suffer from server side load issues or internet issues (connection points A to B) which I believe affects PC users equally. The issue is made more random for the community as a whole and more difficult to assess because we’re all connecting from different locations, through different service providers, and hitting different cloud servers.

It’s a massive virtual world so I’m sure difficult for Asobo to chase down some of these location specific issues. The server side performance issues are most likely beyond Asobo’s control and even beyond the Microsoft team responsible specifically for MSFS’s control. They are both “clients” in a sense of the Microsoft cloud services. The internet in between is completely out of their control.

Out of frustration for not being able to tune some things myself, for example reducing the distance trees render at, because we have no options available on the Xbox I’ve been looking at PCs. It would really be nice to be able to try some ideas and rule them in or out. However, to match the Series X, or slightly better it if I’m going spend a bunch of money, will cost a minimum of 3 times what I paid for the Series X console and realistically a minimum of 5 times what I paid for the console to feel I got a modest performance upgrade.

A secondary reason for considering a PC is not having access to a number of aircraft add-ons but really there are probably only a handful of those that I want and some of them will come to the consoles once WASM is fixed. I’ve already got some nice add-on aircraft that suit me so the extra is not justified for more of those alone and I’m not convinced moving to a PC will cure the problems I’m seeing on the Series X either. I don’t play any other games and I have a nice laptop for my day to day computing needs so it’d be a huge investment for a single use application.

Last week, due to the frustration noted above, I even dragged out my old PC and loaded FSX:Acceleration along with some of my favourite 3rd party aircraft. I was very surprised and thankful to find out A2A would allow me to upgrade their Aircraft to the latest versions after being away from those for at least a decade. While I enjoyed the extra immersion of those fine A2A products and Accusim, the FSX virtual world doesn’t look very good at all once you’ve seen the MSFS 2020 world. That completely counters the immersion the A2A aircraft provided me. Also, I never did get FSX completely smooth on that rig (judders/micro-stutters). So that experience was a good reminder of the “old days” and remembering PCs have challenges too which hasn’t changed between the old title and the new title. I don’t have the desire to edit CFG files anymore or chase down the latest registry hacks but do miss having some sliders in the sim to tune it to suit.

I also tried MSFS on Xcloud Streaming last week. Looks great and buttery smooth but I can’t stand flying with the Xbox controller and couldn’t figure out how to add a joystick (I don’t think it’s possible at this stage). Not a solution for me “yet” but it’s going to be interesting to watch where the streaming service goes.

Anyway, I had a wonderfully smooth session over the weekend on the Series X which has put pause to the line of thinking about buying a new PC. Curiosity may “kill the cat” but that’s another story.

4 Likes

I’m in a similar situation re: purchasing a PC.

I have one — a 2018 Razer Blade GTX1060 Max Q — and the sim runs decently on it, however the screaming fans make me insane and the heat the thing puts out is miserable, too. My Series X, in contrast, is sitting here quiet as a church mouse even with its fan running and it looks way better than my PC graphically.

Spending $5k on a PC just so I can run MSFS 2020 is just stupid — especially when I know it might easily have all the stutters, CTDs and everything else many PC users complain about here in the forum. I’d rather have my issues knowing I spent $500 rather than $5000.

6 Likes

Exactly. This premise that the “XBOX can’t handle MS Flight Simulator” is absurd. Every one of the problems that many of us have mentioned with SU 8 and SU 9 have affected PC users just as much as they have XBOX users. Performance issues, of course, can vary greatly from machine to machine for a wide variety of reasons, but these recent problems are so severe that there’s clearly something wrong with the sim updates. Also, I keep focusing more on the missing data menu settings, missing rolling cache settings, and missing delete function in Content Manager, because those are different from poor graphics performance; they are straight-forward broken basic functions of the sim. And those issues are equally distributed among XBOX and PC users.

4 Likes

They will patch this, they have to. XBOX is a closed system, it can’t be blamed on user error. I spend more time fiddling with system maintenance on PC then flying. PC users got hit too, for some, as myself performance has tanked. Stutters and more than 5k spent. Not the first time either. They broke it with World Update 3 and it was the death trying to get past “User error” “Check your System” etc.

3 Likes

This is all getting to be too eerily similar to the constant hassle that was FSX. It’s funny you mention $5,000 because that was about what I spent to build a new PC back in the FSX days, and it was built and optimized specifically to run FSX. Yet, I still had the constant headaches of endless tweaking just to get it to run semi-consistently. I bought more “flagship” GPUs than I can remember, and constantly fussed with my CPU and RAM overclocks, since FSX was notoriously CPU-limited.

Now I’m seeing a lot of the same type of behavior out of FS 2020, and that has me concerned for the long-term viability of the product since Asobo has previously said that FS 2020 is still running on the core code from FSX, and that that code limits them significantly in certain areas.

This sim should have been developed fresh, from the ground up, to fully take advantage of modern technology and techniques, rather than continuing to be based upon the hopelessly broken FSX code.

1 Like

Is there actually any evidence to support the assertion of the topic title? Anecdotally I feel not, in fact as a user of MSFS in it’s different guises, prior to FS5, FSX etc I have been massively impressed with what has been achieved with the Xbox.

Furthermore I expect MSFS on both platforms to continue to improve. I have to accept that sometimes there will be a regression, and the hope is it would be temporary.

Back to my opening point. I think having read the majority of the posts in this topic, clearly Xbox can handle and has handled MSFS. Issues are not necessarily unique to this hardware, and bugs can be ironed out. Has the particular topic not reached its natural conclusion now? For a newcomer pondering which path to go down they might be forgiven, on glancing at the tally of posts reaching nearly a thousand, that the title’s assertion is borne out in the posts. I don’t feel that’s the case. In fact a great number of the posts argue the opposite. What there is within the topic is a number of legitimate concerns, some of which are not even unique to the platform (stutters, hangs, CTD etc)

Why not take the opportunity now then to close the topic, as there are plenty of other more appropriately entitled threads where issues are currently legitimately voiced?

5 Likes

The hardware is perfectly capable, sadly the current software not so. We all hope that will improve!

3 Likes