Xbox series X simply cant handle Microsoft Flight Simulator

No. The evidence is conclusively against the title’s assertion.

For example, slower PCs and the Series S itself get smoother performance.

It is a configuration and optimization issue that could be patched.

And it is identical to performance issues that hit the PC… just, the PC has sliders to quell the issue further.

4 Likes

I don’t understand why so many PC users are getting involved in my thread? Yes, I know we are all having issues, but the XBOX is a totally different platform to PC. The XBOX can’t be upgraded, most PC’s can. The updates haven’t solved this issue from day one, and some have actually made it worse. The developers need to understand the hardware limitations of the XBOX and limit the performance of MSFS to match it. At the moment the resource requirement of MSFS is too much for the XBOX to handle, and it has been this way since day one. Why are so many prepared to accept the stutters and poor performance, just because the game looks pretty. Personally I would be very happy just to be able to fly the ■■■■ thing without it stuttering or crashing back to the desktop.

1 Like

What I don’t understand is why you blame the Xbox for these issues.

Don’t you think it even within the realm of possibility that Asobo and/or MS, with their server technology and server partnerships, haven’t done a good enough job to make the sim work on the Xbox?

Can we agree that that could be a possibility?

Why the impetus here to blame the hardware?

5 Likes

I’m running in offline mode and it is still ■■■■.

But clearly not everyone is experiencing an inability to run it and even then we a re a vocal subsection of a larger gaming community.

The Xbox can run it and does so very well in my experience. Yes I’ve had issues, but not atypical of PC users. And I’ve reported those from the position of contributing to (hopefully) potential fixes and improvements. Potentially some add-ons may need tailoring to the lower available RAM, but even then I’m speculating. As I’ve said, the title is misleading and factually incorrect as so many have felt able to attest.

I think to suggest Microsoft, being the creators of Xbox, may not be aware of the hardware they chose to build into it is not a plausible argument.

The thread title arguably should be “For some reason my Xbox can’t run MSFS”

And for that i hugely sympathise, especially if like me the platform was purchased primarily to run it. It’s also annoying when, updates have improved some areas but regressed others, or certain add-ons fail where previously they worked. It’s a massively complicated program, and the community ask for and expect a huge variety of features, physics, effects.

3 Likes

Offline/online why does that matter, as said it may just be a possibility that the sim is not very well optimised for the Xbox at this stage.
The hardware is capable, but as seen the SU updates have had major effects on performance, from one end to the other end of the scale, same for PC.

3 Likes

X box s user, the older versions on CD FS9 etc, & I have been using FS since the “wire frame” days, never had problems as no updates required. When I bought the x box s a few months ago, it was stable, and enjoyable to fly, now with failed update after update, (SU8 / SU9), they are totally destroying a good product. Fix the faults, not keep updating an already broken programme!

11 Likes

This. Exactly this.

5 Likes

The developers should imho add a proper graphics settings screen for XBox. I run a medium spec laptop (worse than XBox-S GPU, but 16GB/SSD) and sinceSU-7 I fly in Low mode on 100% rendering scale. Smooth flight, 20-22 Fps, no CTD’s… when I switch to Ultra I get a CTD on temperature within 4-5 minutes, even in Pause mode.

1 Like

Welcome aboard, that’s what we’ve all been asking for for 2 years :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :wink:

3 Likes

While I don’t disagree with opening more of the settings up on XBOX, my fear is that Asobo would then be even more careless about negatively impacting performance with their “updates”, leaving it to the user to “fix” their problems by dumbing down the settings.

I think we may already be seeing Asobo compromising the experience to cover their mistakes because since SU 9 there has been no antialiasing on XBOX at all, and draw distance has been radically reduced, causing ridiculous amounts of pop-in even very close to the aircraft. Unless these are just total screwups, the only reason you would change those parameters so significantly is to compensate for some other change that hurt performance. Incidentally, in case Asobo somehow sees this, the current image quality is NOT ACCEPTABLE at all. Plus, if they did consciously reduce these settings to compensate for a performance hit, then they sucked at it because even with those settings reductions performance is horrible as well.

3 Likes

You could be right about what’s happening at present, because we just don’t know what additional load SU 9 may have placed upon the hardware. But I totally disagree that it’s been a problem for XBOX since day one.

When this sim released on XBOX it was like a dream. Perfectly smooth, almost never a stutter to be found. In fact, it was performing far better than the PC version at that time. And it stayed pretty much that way up through Sim Update 7. When everything changed for me and a number of others was with SU 8, though yet other users didn’t experience issues until SU 9.

Bottom line, though, is that the Xbox version was generally very smooth and relatively stable from launch through SU 7. Sim Updates 8 and 9 have completely trashed it.

3 Likes

I doubt even that, it has to be some kind of code optimization or server related issue. My pc (1060, 8gbram) had some issue after su9 but not even near the performance degradation I had on xbox and overall it run stable and the experience is super positive

I just tried briefly the new patch but performance wise it seems it helped at least

I guess some of the “rage” comes also from the fact that a lot people flyes doomed default planes that never worked properly (and probably never will) and su9 may exacerbated the situation

Not to justify anything but just my 2 cents

2 Likes

Wow, that’s an interesting observation about the performance of your PC, with half the RAM and a weaker GPU than the XBOX, still running better than the XBOX and less affected by the update issues. I think there may be multiple independent issues occurring. Sudden inability to separately uninstall or install core components of the sim (base sim, deluxe and premium upgrades, world updates) without uninstalling or installing the rest of those components at the same time hints at a possible DRM-related screwup for some users, in my opinion.

And it just so happens that they hastily implemented that “mystery patch” right after SU 8 to fix the DRM bug that SU 8 caused, and that temporarily made everything in the Marketplace available for free. When they implemented that patch, that’s when some of us lost the ability to independently install or remove separate components of the sim. I also remember around that time that when I tried to reinstall from the Store, it said that I owned the Deluxe and Premium upgrades (which I do), but wanted to charge me for the base sim. They also released the cloud version of the sim at about the same time, and I also recall the Store getting confused and trying to make me run the cloud version when I was trying to reinstall the base sim. Somehow (and I’m still not sure how) I managed to get around that mess and reinstall, but all of the confusion I saw made me wonder if their digital rights tracking had gotten scrambled.

1 Like

Are you a Game Pass subscriber?

Yep, running the Gamepass version of the base sim, and purchased the Deluxe and Premium upgrades.

RIP to this game since last night

Xbox Series X

Italy update made my game unplayable

2 Likes

Well I guess we can finally conclude after SU9 and WU9 that MSFS no longer works on Xbox

I think it’s too early to make any conclusions like that. Mine stopped working also. But a rogue line or two of code? I don’t know the cause and neither does anyone outside of Msobo.

Don’t write off a platform because within a day of a flawed WU. On the flip side then, how do we account for 8 previously installed WU’s?!

Let’s suppose a scenario where some errors in WU10 cause all PCs to fail to load the game. Do we then say PCs and Xbox are incapable of running MSFS, call it a day, swathes of PC and Xbox equipment hits the online auction sites of the world

Or let them fix it…

I’m just venting. It’s extremely frustrating how we went from such a great game to unplayable.

It’s a good thing I was already stepping back from the game for awhile, this WU9 has driven home the point to just take a break until they figure it out.

Good thing it’s NHL playoff time, ha ha

2 Likes