Xbox series X simply cant handle Microsoft Flight Simulator

Thank you…I did some corporate development for a while but I was a VERY junior developer lol taking direction from the big boys, but my description is my basic understanding…the big boy developers could code while they talked about what movie they watched the night before as easy as they breath lol…I would have to have my nose buried in a coding book or asking them questions… however with my limited development I do realize how massive this sim is and how hard it would be to fix things, but I am sure Asobo has tons of testers and let’s hope they get this fine tuned :smiley:

1 Like

You’re welcome.

I think it’s poorly optimised, certainly for the console. If indeed it is a memory leak, hopefully they’ll sort it. But having said that, rumoured memory leak issues have apparently persisted since launch, and if there is a correlation between that and the big increase in CTD’s since SU9, it’s gotten worse. So let’s just say I’m not particularly optimistic at this point.

Currently on an enforced hiatus from the sim myself, as the exponential rise in crashes has sucked the enjoyment out of it for me, for the moment.

4 Likes

A memory leak is a software defect. It will crash your game eventually, no matter how much RAM your system has. Defects are supposed to be corrected by the developers.

3 Likes

got it, thanks. exactly. needs to just be fixed.

AND I AGREE WITH YOU!!! the Xbox version of Microsoft Flight Simulator is completely HORRIBLE!!!

1 Like

it’s like it always is. everything has already been said. just not by everyone… The Xbox does a relatively good job. MSFS is unfortunately not yet where it could or should be. I think in a year that looks quite different. Until then, we have no other choice but to come to terms with what is put in front of us; actively, to support the developers in troubleshooting or in case of doubt to change the platform. My 2 cent

2 Likes

Not true. It looks and runs beautifully most of the time.

Which console do you have and do you always keep it on instant on?

Xbox Series X

Can you elaborate as to what you mean specifically by ‘horrible’?

Too many issues. CTDs, stuttering, FPS droppings, and this without third part add-ons nor Dev mod/tab (since doesn’t exist on Xbox). And this since SU9. The only add on were the world updates 7,8,9 (Australia, Iberia, Italy/Malta) other the already autoinstalled by the Premium Deluxe Edition. Before the SU9, Xbox Series X version marched well, since it and though the 1.25.9.0 and the 1.25.12.0 downloaded from Xbox Insider App the sim has troubled me with all these issues.

This is what i mean by “horrible”: almost unplayable.

And note: that i also tried every steps and followings Microsoft suggested me: logging out from my Xbox and Microsoft account either as console and the game to relog in after, uninstalling and reinstalling the sim, power cycling and hard resetting the console into factory default settings (without deleting games and savings) to after restoring my account and it’s relative settings…
Nothing, what can I say? The problem is the game!

2 Likes

These two files show the zone, first, and the waypoint nearby, second, where i experienced today the last of the many CTDs.
They occur randomly, but very often if not every time

For testing purposes, you should try different planes and see if you get the same results. For many, it can be aircraft\sim\add-on related and this is one way to troubleshoot.

FS2020 works on my Xbox series S really well. Except for the mouse issue and the CTD issues.

I am glad that Microsoft released it to Xbox when they did because most of the time is works fine.

I cannot wait for helicopters and study level airliners.

3 Likes

Are those two sentences not a complete contradiction??

4 Likes

Maybe, after i finish my trip to Tromso with A 320 neo, i might consider making a tour of the Giza Pyramids with Cessna 152, the aircraft of the tutorial. I already used it.

Works for me.

I’m curious, what do the fps droppings look like? I hope they didn’t leave too much of a mess…

Anyway, have you tried deleting the rolling cache and then playing the game with it entirely off? What about setting different sizes? Start with 8-16 then work your way up to 32-64. Whichever one shows the least stuttering is the ideal setting. But you’d have to do a lot of testing. It’s hit or miss.

I find that the game stutters more in specific locations like London City and certain Italian towns since world update 10, like Bologna and others.

Look, the game is still a work in progress, so it’s definitely not your console. Everybody’s getting stutters, PC or Xbox. Although those with $2500+ rigs may hardly be getting them or not getting them at all - oddly, I’ve read reports of the sim misbehaving and showing performance issues even on ridiculously expensive rigs

Asobo are working on it I’m sure and with time it will only get better. I’m sensing there’s even going to be an fps boost for console users at some point. Let’s see - stay positive, mate :+1:

3 Likes

Thanks very much, you’re restoring my faith and hope for an improving evolution of Asobo/Microsoft ‘s work, I’ll follow your counseil.
By the way, rolling cache is already off, since on OPTION - GENERAL - DATA, together with the data consumption they are no longer shown on DAT aettings’ list… So consider my following your suggestions about practically and already on…:grinning:
Thanks again, just pass me eventual news about some hotfixes/patches/bug fixes, etc…
I am glad to have encountered a good soul who gave me useful explanation about Microsoft Flight Simulator Xbox Series X version and it’s ventures and misfortunes

Stay well and g-bye, friend👍

3 Likes

@GoldPlate295836 anytime, bud!

There’s one more thing you can do:

Turn everything live off except for Bing and photogrammetry. Set rolling cache to 100gb. Now,at least frequently visited locations should stutter less. Also, you wanna keep your room reasonably cool while playing flight simulator. :sweat_smile:

Good counseil. I will try to turn off the online settings leaving on those you indicated me except for the rolling cache wich is actually impossible to find and manage, therefore I am expecting the fix of this bug and as DATA CONSUMPTION and ROLLING CACHE settings return again available to set, i will follow even this counseil (what, if i try to set ROLLING CACHE to 200 gb?)

2 Likes