Xbox series X simply cant handle Microsoft Flight Simulator

What you are experiencing is the building textures. From far out, you get the building shape and base textures, but as you get closer, the detailed texture gets loaded. One of the things that has always annoyed me about flying in London is how late loading some of those textures is, because London is a pretty intense city with textures.

So offhand, it sounds like you are hitting a bottleneck while loading those textures.

For gits and shiggles, I flew my same flight — KSBD-to-KONT — on my PC.

While I didn’t get the stutters on approach/final. I did find this: once on the ground, I switched to external view and circled my aircraft with the camera. My normally rock solid 30 FPS just tanks to 17 FPS.

I’m wondering if one of the reasons why some people have issues where others don’t is a function of how the camera and which ones are being used.

I’m going to now do this on the Xbox and then your “Chuck D.” flight in the A320.

EDIT: I’m getting the stutters on PC while taxiing to parking.

1 Like

So sounds like its not a specific xbox issue, its system wide.

Hopefully Asobo look into it.

I flew yesterday and stutters were insane, today I flew and it was a lot smoother, so perhaps a server side issue?

I had not experienced such stutters prior to the latest update.

1 Like

Standard Xbox controller. Photogrammetry off. HDR on. Live weather off. Live traffic off. Live players off. AI pilot off. I only fly airliners.

may i ask what kind of peripherals you use?
and do you play with everything on (photogrammetry, hdr, live weather, live time, live players/ai, etc)?
and what kind of flights do you do (airliners?)

Nothing attached. Just using the standard controller.

It’s driving me mad this stuttering

So how do we stop it?

Answer that and Asobo will offer you a position as a developer lol.

I fly airbus and mostly from Bristol airport (pilotplus add on) to various other UK airports and Spain there is stuttering but nothing major i have live traffic on and live weather on photogrammetry on. I have had a few crashes when on external view and going to fast looking around the plane

So first, do a flight where you stay in the cockpit the whole time, never change the camera view. Do you get the stutters then?

Second, fly the same entire flight again, this time from the external camera view. Are stutters the same, or worse, do they happen quicker, or not at all?

Then actually third, do the same flight again, this time constantly switching the camera between cockpit and external the flight.

I’m trying to eliminate whether it is a specific camera view, or the context switching between the views that is the issue

3 Likes

Man, first. I SWEAR Asobo better be looking at these posts we make, because we are putting in a fair amount of effort both investigating and reporting these issues and the various parameters surrounding them.

Ok, on my Xbox, I re-flew the same KSBD-to-KONT flight in the same aircraft at the same altitude. Of course, because I fly in live time/weather/traffic, the conditions are different to yesterday. I had some mild stuttering on approach, and worse stuttering including a decently long pause just before touchdown. In the same on the ground external view 360° camera rotation, there were a couple of hiccup stutters, but no visible FPS decrease, unlike the PC.

On my “Chuck D.” flight in the A320, I set autopilot to 4000’ and reversed the heading so the aircraft would basically make a u-turn over the airport.

While this was going on, I switched to external view and did the 360° camera rotation over and over. On the first couple of passes there were a couple of hiccup stutters, as observed in the C170B at KONT and also without FPS drops. By the third rotation and beyond there were no stutters. It is, however, nighttime in Paris right now.

1 Like

It might also help to know what your traffic density is set to. There could be a lot of resources used at some settings? That might explain why it’s more prevalent at larger busier airports

I get stutters even just keeping it to cockpit view which I do 95% of the time. Switching between the 2 makes it worse.

One other thought I’ve got here that is meant to give some hope to the situation is this: The Xbox version is still quite young and when you examine the Asobo development roadmap, it would be pretty clear that the attention to releasing Reno would have delayed any major refining/optimization of any Xbox-specific code.

I’m keeping my fingers crossed that they are going to sort this out.

1 Like

Here is a link to a video I took on the Xbox which shows stuttering even during the pre-flight cinematography.

Right, after some further experimenting, I have concluded that these stutters and crashes are nothing to do with the servers, as I am running in offline mode and still have them. I stand by my original quote that the Xbox cannot handle this game properly. Until the developers sort this out, it may as well go in the bin.

EDIT

Just tried the same flight around Malta (night time, offline, no ATC or weather) in the Dayer TDM and take off was fine, as soon as I started to view left and right out the windows everything slowed down and stuttered. Changed back to front view only and it eased off. Then 100ft above the runway, it froze, the screen went black and I was booted back to the Xbox home page.

Then I’d argue the PC can’t handle it either.

EDIT: Because it suffers from this affliction, as well.

In that video the ATC azure service is also not working?

Or was this video in offline mode.

Anyway I have had stutters on one flight and other times a fairly smooth flight, so I don’t buy that the series x cant handle the game. Considering there are threads on stutters/FPS drops plaguing some PC users it’s clearly a case that there is an issue that has occurred in a later update.
Ive been playing since launch and it’s been relatively fine, only since last update I have seen more stuttering on occasions

1 Like

I’ve just done a flight from Brussels to Bristol with live weather very little stuttering everything went smoothly even with the landing (been having trouble with the plane veering off the runway on touch down) pleasurable flight i must say all on the series x

1 Like

Even the video was in offline mode and still stuttering.

Here’s a suggestion for you all to try, sorry but I don’t have my series X any more to test this one out.

On PC side there are obviously many graphical settings to try changing. However a golden rule with stutters seems to be that they mainly happen when CPU load is too high compared to the GPU load.

Now on XBox there are no graphical option sliders to work with as they are all preset, BUT I have noticed that traffic sliders (airport ground vehicles, airport ground workers, road/car traffic) do have an impact on CPU load, and these should all be changeable on XBox.

I just set mine (on PC) recently down to a much lower level and saw less stutters at add on airports. XBox should have these sliders so try reducing them from whatever value they are currently set to at down into the 15-20 range and see if it helps your CPU loads at airports a bit.
I have no idea whether these sliders get reset or not with every update, but there are reports of people seeing their graphical settings being reset after an update so that’s also worth checking.

From memory of the series X, flying over detailed airports and scenery dense cities was always a bit of a stutterfest, with London discovery trip being possibly the worst in this regard. Quickly panning views in this environment also loads CPU/GPU higher, you see this on PC side too as scenery is loaded into GPU and processed this will be affected by VRAM size that your platform has. On XBox X I think VRAM and RAM are pooled/shared resource by CPU/GPU from same physical 16GB memory I think.