Xbox series X simply cant handle Microsoft Flight Simulator

Careful. We can’t have all this common sense talk, it’s not the done thing these days :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Except MS say that’s not going to happen.

And to be quite honest I agree with them, it shouldn’t need to beyond the UI. Afterall nobody is saying there should be a separate AMD version to Intel or Nvidia.

Underneath each’s respective shiny hood we are talking just another computer running variations of the same hardware and when all is complete you can be sure that performance will match whichever hardware’s capabilities.

There are no limits.

What about a low/mid tier pc, do they need a separate version as well? The xbox more than meets the minimum pc specs to run the game.

2 versions is pointless and puts a huge workload on the studio, it’s already tough for them to get all the bugs ironed out.

This seems just like another xbox bashing post to me.

10 Likes

Stuttering on Xbox X series. A lot of people have been asking what my setup is and what I’ve done to try to resolve the issue with Microsoft flight simulator causing crash to desktop and a lot of stuttering on my console. I have taken the steps to remove everything to do with the game from my console including removing all reserved space on the console itself. I’ve removed all information relating to the game in my profile, as in delete everywhere. I’ve then taken the step to uninstall the game entirely. I’ve reset my console back to factory settings and removed everything so the console is now in a factory condition state. I’ve then reinstalled again and once installed I have choose no satellite imaging. I’ve turned off photogrammetry. I’ve turned off ATC. My rolling cache is set to 8 but I have also tried this at zero and 20. My download speed average is 500 MB per second and my upload speed average is 35 MB per second. I’ve turned off live weather and any other setting that would potentially slow the system down. I have no marketplace add-ons installed. This is a completely new fresh installation. My console is located in a place where there is plenty of airflow around it to prevent any overheating. I have no other games installed and my console has been updated to the latest version. I am using the standard wireless Xbox controller and no other devices. My Xbox console is set to 4K at 60 Hz and my TV is an LG 4K running HDR. My TV does not have 120 Hz capability and no VRR. My preferred aircraft to fly are the A320 and the Boeing 787 and it seems the stuttering is definitely worse with these aircraft. I’m not saying that I get no starters with the GA aircraft but certainly less than what I get with the airliners. What I would like to ask the community is for other Xbox X or S series players to try a night flight from Paris Charles de Gaulle airport using the A320 or 787 and after takeoff change to the exterior camera, locate the camera just above the aircraft and then scroll around the aircraft using the right stick either left or right to do a few rotations at full speed. No when I do this on my console it stutters like crazy and quite often it will crash to desktop. I know I’m asking a lot of from the console in doing this But scrolling left or right in rotation around the aircraft is a perfect example of the stuttering effect that I have from time to time worse when you’re flying over populated locations but I’m even getting small but persistent stutters flying over the small island of Malta with hardly any scenery on it. If other users could please try this and let me know what results you get it would be very much appreciated. Please do not be offended but PC users please do not reply to this thread as all PCs are different, whereas the Xbox series X console should all be identical specification.

2 Likes

same here, xbox series x, the stutters/ctds mostly happen when i am on final approach, 50ft above runway, or when i use the exterior camera and move it “too fast”, or the crashes happen randomly

4 Likes

I have had a Series S for 6 months and I might have had 5 CTD and a few black avionics in all this time and I do use the sim regularly. I mostly have a good and smooth experience although I must say I don’t usually fly at night over cities… Do you get the same results if you do the same flights during the day?

I had a few ctd on my series x past days I found it was using exterior camera and moving to fast whilst watching the ground services

1 Like

hello

Funny you mention Charles de Gaulle, I flew there from Zurich yesterday evening in the a320 at night with live traffic, live weather, e.g and it was stuttering like crazy.

Today I flew from Charles de Gaulle with same settings (this time however it was daylight) to London Heathrow and it was a lot lot smoother, I got a few stutters here and there but nothing that ruined my experience.

I did however have multiplayer turned off this time, I just don’t see the point in having that enabled.

So its weird it was stuttering at night but daytime it was much better, you would think daytime would be worse as more details are visible, which makes me think its just an issue that needs fixing.

If I get time over the weekend I will try another night flight, perhaps from Heathrow to Paris.

Hello, Series X user here. I am sorry for all your troubles, and really feel for you. Did a cold start flight from De Gaulle at nightime just now, and went crazy with my thumbstick in exterior camera mode. Noticed some small stutter but nothing major as I flew around the airport and Paris for about 15-20 minutes, and no ctd. Took some video screenshots, but don’t know how to share them in the forum, if possible at all.

I have Paris Landmarks add-on installed in this area.
My Xbox is hardwired to 350mbit fiber, I have opened ports for NAT and running in 4K 120hz to a LG CX with VRR/Freesync. Forgot to check but guessing on Western Europe server. Everything in the game settings is turned on, besides live weather.

Have had some issues with different add-on airports in the past, so I chose to not have all of them installed all the time or wait until an update. (Wich we all know can take a long time on Xbox Marketplace).

From what you wrote it really seems that you have tried everything human possible to resolve this issue, so I don’t know what to say. All I can think of at the moment is maybe the HDMI cable can have something to do with it? It’s a longshot but…

Edit: uploaded my videos to YT, but probably won’t keep them there forever… :slight_smile:

I will take a look at this today and report back.

After not having stutters since SU7-Update (does this blasted January update have a name? SU7.1?) came out, I did do a flight yesterday in the C170B from KSBD-to-KONT (San Bernardino, CA to Ontario, CA) and experienced some pretty bad ones on approach to KONT.

I don’t fly in or use external view much, at all. I was getting them badly in 1st person cockpit view. I flew the route at 2000-2500 ft, so I was low the whole flight. What was interesting was I could see the buildings’ detail changing nearly in “rows” as I got closer and closer to KONT. It wasn’t that they were being drawn/rendered in 3D, they already had their shape and looked like buildings, but they seemed to gain a bit of detail in a small row all the way across the display. I could see this happening over and over as I moved forward towards KONT until I finally landed.

I don’t generally fly over mega populated areas like the Los Angeles basin, but I had done several flights over the San Diego area two days ago and hadn’t had this level of stutter. Interestingly, I didn’t experience the stutter yesterday on takeoff from KSBD or during the first 3/4 of the flight — it just sort of came out of nowhere.

It seems like something is possibly bottlenecking in whatever way the detail is being applied to the ground artwork. In this case, high density buildings, roads, highways, etc.

My hope is that the dev team has some inroads with what is causing these issues and have plans for addressing them in SU8. They aren’t exclusive to Xbox, so I really don’t believe this is an “Xbox is too weak for the sim” kind of issue. I really, really don’t. In fact, it bums me that the title of this thread is food for the anti-Xbox sentiment. Again, having an understanding of what SU8 is a going to address would certainly help give us an idea if this issue is included in their fixes.

Anyhow, again, I’ll try your test flight in the A320 (I’ve only got the base sim). What altitude were you when you switched to external view and moved the camera around?

Around 4000, but I don’t think that made any difference

Are you getting the stutters, at high altitudes, too? Like at FL330 you get them? Or is it only when you’re closer to ground level. I’d call 4000’ still pretty low.

Worse at lower levels I would say

I will try DeGault airport tomorrow with those planes. It could be that airport is the issue. There have been others that have bugs and cause stutters and CTD. Or a combination of that airport and those larger planes that have a lot going on.

I did fly around Manhattan this morning using two of the NY mods and only live traffic off. Not a single stutter, there is a lot going on.

Also a quick rip around Philadelphia with no issues

1 Like

Examples of stutter-based posts not Xbox-specific:

I also think the massive FPS drops on long haul flights is a related issue:

Again, this is a sim-wide issue across both platforms and it really isn’t an Xbox-specific issue.

2 Likes

That is most likely server side issues and you are not getting the data downloaded quick enough. When we get these stutters we should check what the server ping speed says, I bet it gets quite high.

Now, is it Xbox servers or MS servers or a combination of the two. I wonder where the game data streams from ?

It might be beneficial to have some PC users also fly these areas that been pointed out and see if they also experience these same phenomena

There certainly are threads discussing server load, quality, quantity and level of dust on their cabinets, so there must be some kernel of truth to server-based CTDs and other issues.

I’ve wondered the same things you have.

1 Like

I also wonder if I ought to try that same KSBD-to-KONT flight now that it’s in my cache. It was the last flight I took. Of course, if servers are still involved regardless of cached data and they have a solid, fast ping, then the test is a bit moot.

I do not envy the individuals tasked with sorting this out. There are a significant amount of ever-changing variables involved.

I’ll try your flight tomorrow as well, my cache is turned off as is live traffic.

Do you have a wireless keyboard or mouse attached to your XBox? I had one of those ChatPads that connected to the controller, and had a USB wireless dongle that plugged into the XBox. I found that the wireless dongle was all the time overloading my XBox with spurious requests. My hard drives were spinning almost all the time. Once I removed the wireless dongle, that solved my issues. Perhaps you also have a dongle that is overwhileming your XBox with a lot of spurious signals.