Xbox users only - black screen / ctd discussion

So we can’t post discussion on the bugs page.
Maybe we’re permitted to post here.

Main points are to maintain pressure and post all occurrences onto that thread. Or it will just be ignored which is what it probably hoped for.

MS took the decision to release on Xbox they should make it function or pull it. Asking folks to delete paid for content isn’t a fix it’s a temporary botch.

15 Likes

Yea the stutters are horrible! Black screens usually appear on approach, short final or in when taxing for departure or arrival. Stutters happen on approach and take off. I don’t know what happened but it’s like someone just broke it.

7 Likes

What are you discussing here?

2 Likes

Then I’m posting my last post here too

Interesting idea to reduce the resolution of the Xbox X to 1440p. I’ve put it to the test and have mixed results. Started with the pdmg 737 at Queenstown from NZA (NZQN). After starting up I got black avionics even before I got to the runway.
After that I tried KLAX from inibuilds also a high detail area again with the pdmg 737 and this time no black avionics. Everything worked very well. I think some scenery is not well optimized (NZA Simulations and flytampa EHAM for example) . Default scenery never gives problems.

Also the EHAM scenery from flytampa gives a lot of stutters. But this seems to be part of this scenery. On other places I have no stutters

2 Likes

Add ons can have a big impact on MSFS performance (PC too): choice of aircraft, airports, or scenery. A few good habits can make one’s simming less frustrating: always start with a fresh reboot of the box and game, always. Restart MSFS between flights when using resource intensive add ons or between long flights. Don’t use features you don’t really need: ATC, AI or live traffic are not great anyway and they are resource intensive, so fly without them if flying is important to you. My preference is to fly with only live weather and enjoy the scenery, but that’s me; and I rarely see BS or a CTD. There are a few large airports and add ons that always cause trouble, avoid them, e.g. KJFK. Find a way to have some fun with what works, and for me that is most of it. YMMV of course, please share what works for you so we can all learn!

8 Likes

An overspill of the huge bug thread on the on-going issue with Avionics Black Screen and CTD on Xbox X|S.

It happens on Vanilla, but less frequently than on folks who have airport add-ons.

Just trying to walk through help for people who can’t fly the SIM on console because of the issue.

It isn’t that bad in reality there are things that can be done to minimize the issue.

3 Likes

Pmdg 737-800 ESNQ-ESSA. Never had any problems with black screens before with pmdg and never had them before at these airports either. Before SU14 so to speak. But now I get them. Micro stutters as well.

Xbox Series S

5 Likes

There is a bug area to report the issue. Can you please do that.

We gotta keep the visibility going.

Personally I think we should have been allowed to keep discussing in the bug section as the chat was mostly how to work around the bug.

But gotta respect the rules set out or things turn messy. So I do appreciate the polite moderator note.

3 Likes

I’ve had all traffic off for a while now, turned off live weather recently where I noticed an instant improvement on frames, but never thought of not using ATC. In your experience does ATC also have much of an impact?

I stopped using ATC last year for a number of reasons, so I don’t actually know how much it affects performance on Series X. If ATC works for you and you find it enjoyable and it does not add to BS/CTD, then by all means do continue. OTOH, if it doesn’t really add to your sim experience, why devote any system resources to it?

2 Likes

This is what Pilot0083 YT suggested

Also folks if we are getting them we should report them on the bug post below. We don’t see lots of new names there but know folks must be struggling.

Also vote at top of it - if you haven’t.

1 Like

It’s now loading 3rd party way too far out with std lod too short. If you find a long lived add on causing black screens try uninstall-reinstall of the ADD-ON.

Glass aircraft are causing some strange problems on first load. Start your flight, just hit control+E to get it all running, then restart the flight and do all your cold and dark procedures. You can tell it’s going to be a problem switching to outside view and do a full pan around the aircraft. Chugs at ALL, restart the flight.

Do this before you load approach and waypoints. Spend 20 minutes on the ground and it stutters on taxi…

Could someone tell me how exactly to turn off ATC?

Change the channel. Or load the closest small airport channel nearby where there’s no controller.

It’s in the settings, assist options if memory serves.
You can’t miss it if you do flick through quick.

1 Like

Haven’t had any problems in weeks. Flown through handcrafted airports with live traffic and live weather both enabled. Just got a CTD the second my wheels hit the ground in the PMDG 737. Ugh. False sense of hope.

1 Like

Love this guy, he’s a bit much but he’s not wrong.

2 Likes

Have experienced black Avionics on finals to LHR (Inibuilds) on XSX. Using the default A320 Neo. I ensured to keep my flight duration to less than 2hrs which it was but still nevertheless Black Avionics once again. Has anyone else experienced black screens at Inibuilds Lhr too?

I’m on Xbox Series X and have been flying MSFS since it launched on Xbox.
The sim has improved greatly for us since then and especially since SU13. Rare is it for myself to experience CTD.

I do still experience the odd BS and that can almost always be attributed to a 3rd party airport that has not been properly optimized for Xbox.

I own quite a few aircraft, airports and other world add ons that help with immersion in sim flying. In the earlier days I would see far more conflicts with add ons. It has been so much better.

There was even a Beta test for Xbox users with the MSFS team collecting data on crashes and BS. So it does show that we are import and they are working on a more reliable experience for us and everyone.

A lot of this still comes down to 3rd party developers willing to put in the time to optimize their product for Xbox. There have been many already that are embracing the expansion of Xbox and do continue to update and support Xbox users.

From my seat , things are headed in the right direction. So yes let’s continue to be vocal but also recognize the work that has been done.

It really is quite the achievement for us to have this sim on Xbox

5 Likes

The sim really is a marvel to be running on Xbox, especially post-WASM implementation. I’m impressed by the architecture of it every time I fly - but to echo the topic, yeah, it’s just a lot of stutters and black avionics and cruise level game freezes and crashes to dashboard lately.

I know that I put it through too much as far as scenery and aircraft and add-ons but I still hope against hope that I’ll get that butter experience like back in the first iteration of this SU beta and it’s just rarely a complete experience lately unfortunately.

3 Likes