Your bandwidth is too low (February/March/April 2023)

Last 4-6 months been diabolical with connection issues on any given day. This was forecast and rightly predicted by myself becoming a huge problem at launch - looks like it’s now a very real thing.

Servers are absolutely rubbish.

At this point, I’d like to see improvements to the offline portion of the sim.

3 Likes

Internet services will never be 100% reliable - and MSFS connects to a whole bunch of them simultaneously. So the real issue isn’t that servers are unreliable - it’s how MSFS is designed to behave when 1 or more service is delayed or unreachable.

The current behaviour is as if it is in “debug” mode for a programmer - with popups that interrupt flight.

Instead, each service needs graceful fallback behaviour, and, the connection reports should automatically be logged by Microsoft so that they can see patterns of issues for any particular service in real time and improve this “game as a service”.

8 Likes

Is there an issue with the servers, or something else? Most of my flights the bing/PG stops streaming. Reconnects and then remains offline. CTDs if you turn it back on. This has been going on for many months. I have reasonable connection speeds. Can’t remember it being this bad and I have owned the sim since launch…

Are the servers up to scratch for the volume of data being streamed? Not sure they are!

I have noticed this too - but it’s very intermittent for me. Today a short flight with no connection problems, then another maybe an hour later with 3 or 4 messages to say the game servers were offline, and then the flight was fine. These messages may be correct when sent but if the server comes back up one minute later it’s kinda misleading. There must be a problem with server resources though, as I often seem to see these messages. I have a fibre 150mb connection which is fine.

1 Like

JFYI, I tried the 'bandwith 40 Mbit/sec fix" and still have the low bandwith warning.

Even 830 CET weekday I get low bandwidth. Never happened before. Mostly like a Friday evening.
there is def something going on with the servers.

1 Like

Not for me, I almost always have PG off, and yet I get the message quite frequently. When I try to switch Bing graphics back on manually, it usually results in a CTD.

From my experience over the last few days on PC the low bandwidth error has nothing to do with photogrammetry or the amount of data I’m streaming. I can get it flying anywhere in areas away from cities.

As others have said it must be a server issue. Its just odd that its clearly not effecting everyone.

Sometimes the download speed in your content manager drops to 0,02 Mbit! No matter how fast your internet connection is! The same thing happens when you get the low bandwith message! The game needs at least 5 Mbit to stream data! If it drops below —> Your bandwith is too low! Actually it should say ‘our servers are not powerfull enough’ instead! This is quite an annoying issue and needs to be adressed ASAP!

4 Likes

It is very annoying, but it is even worse to say that it is because of my bandwidth…

3 Likes

Hi everyone! I´m so glad that I managed to fix this issue (at least for now), it was very simple I only had to delete my host file and then restart my PC so Windows could generate a new one, I did check what was on my old one before deleting and I had something there related to P3D even though I´m not sure if that´s what caused it. I have just finished a 15hrs long haul with 0 warnings and I´m so happy to be able to fly again! Hopefully this method works for you as well.

Edit: For those wondering what´s the host file it´s a system32 file which can be found at C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc. PLEASE MAKE A BACKUP BEFORE DELETING THIS FILE. Also keep in mind that it worked for me and it might not work for you therefore I do not recommend you doing this if you dont feel sure about what you are doing.

Have you only done one flight? Sat there for the whole 15 hours? I did a long haul yesterday after having tried the ‘40MB’ bandwidth restriction and I managed to be looking at the screen at the right time when it showed the green connected box. So, it’s server side. Small fixes on the computer may ‘help’ but if the server burps and it gets passed along to the user, nothing on their end will fix that.

Hi there. I have to admit that I did not sit infront of my screen the entire flight but what was annoying me the most was the photometry alert which paused the Sim, thankfully I did not get it during the entire flight, otherwise I would have to press OK before it disappeared, contrary to the green connected box, (which I didn´t really mind since it disappeared right after) however I did around 5hrs of VFR yesterday and I didn´t get any errors. As I have stated this has worked for me until now, previously I couldn´t even be on the sim for more than 20min before getting an alert, but I can not say for sure that this really fixes this annoying issue. Hope that helps!

The green reconnect box is after connection lost.
This topic is about bandwidth error.
Which is a big pop-up box and pauses the sim and has to be acknowledged!!!

Also after this bandwidth error Bing data is set to off in the settings.

OK, bandwidth lost just seems like a lower level of this overall issue. It all has to do with connectivity issues. Whether you’re losing connection or not having enough bandwidth it’s all under the same umbrella. I have a very modest connection of 55Mb which comes out to 5.5 in computer speak. Other examples posted here where people break the test meter shows that regardless of how fast your connection is, that it doesn’t matter. It’s a server issue. As I said, you can change things on your end that may help, but if the server (which who really knows where their data is actually coming from as I’m sure that switches all the time) burps then it doesn’t matter if you have a 1TB connection or dial up, you’re still going to get a break in the connection or knocked off.

getting anoyed by this.

just checked speed with speedtest, ping is 5 m/s and download 946,26 mbps upload 51.33 mbps.
I can download from market place , but in a flight it just says MY bandwith is too low…

3 Likes

And completely broken right now again, right from the start of the flight. This is just ridiculous…

2 Likes

Had the same thing last nigh for the 1st time. Thought it was my internet connection, but from what I see here, its not. Microsoft server side problem.

For me the issue comes and goes, and is very unpredicable. But really annoying! I agree this must be server side.

2 Likes

… and the next low bandwith warning right after loading the flight and the second one with a CTD in flight after one hour.

Thanks Microsoft :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

3 Likes