Your Current TOP 10 Aircraft

I had expressed an opinion earlier, but really, @Baracus250, you deserve the MSFS Medal of Honor for maintaining the list and whichever approach you choose. This thread is my #1 stop daily. My sincere thanks.

3 Likes
  1. PMDG DC6
  2. Simworks Studios Kodiak 100
  3. Asobo DHC-2 Beaver
  4. Aerosoft DHC-6 Twin Otter
  5. Asobo/WT Citation CJ4
2 Likes

Old List:

PMDG 737-700
PMDG DC6
Milviz 310R
FBW A320
Fenix A320

New List:

• Fenix A320 (Performance and VR improvements in recent patches made this my new favorite plane)
  • Inibuilds A310
  • PMDG 737-700
  • PMDG DC6
  • Milviz 310R
1 Like

I didnā€™t even know a 3070ti would run a HMD on high to ultra settings and at decent frame rates. I have a gaming laptop with a 3070ti (Iā€™ll grant you itā€™s the mobile version of course) and it overheats and crashes the simulator often with just a 2560x1440 monitor on high settings only.
Upscaling and OpenXR are still Greek terms to me, guess I need to join the VR forum and get up to speed because Black Friday is coming up.

Ok, here is an update of my list before we advance to a list of 10:

1. Microsoft DHC-2 Beaver
    itā€™s the (almost) perfect bush plane for me. (just needs skis)

2. WBSIM Cessna 172
    itā€™s the best single piston study level plane

3. Black Box L-19 Bird Dog
    great sound, itā€™s still an immersive bush plane

4. Blackbird C310
    great study level twin

5. Black Box Islander
    my go to twin bush plane

4 Likes

Nice list, can vouch for the WBSim 172, very realistic, I have over 700 hours in one of those and the transition from sim to real life would be a lot easier and faster if you master that one. Milviz 310 (or whatever itā€™s called now?) itā€™s also great but never flown a 310, but have hours in other twins. They got it right, you do need power until touchdown. I have an acquaintance who cracked a wing spar on one on landing because he thought he could pull power off like other planes coming over the threshold. The plane was totaled, what a shame.

Okay Blackbird C310, I can remember that, but I liked the name Milviz better. Anyways, just got that one and itā€™s a nice little synchronized dance between elevator and throttles until touchdown. Challenging to say the least. Having started out on single-engine Cessnas, which are like gliders with an engine and very easy to land power off, it took a while to learn to manipulate throttles all the way to touchdown and itā€™s interesting that itā€™s the same muscle memory you can develop in the simulator with this plane. Especially if you are using a Honeycomb Bravo with a yoke. Add in a good crosswind and then the fun really begins, with elevator, ailerons, rudder and throttles all needing to be used together all the way through rollout in less than chaotic fashion.

Sorry guys, should curb my enthusiasm, but to me this simulator can make a fantastic training aid, even if the hours are not loggable. But it cost a ridiculous amount of money to practice this stuff in a real airplane.

2 Likes

No! Please donā€™t :wink:

I think a monthly Top 10 sounds perfectly fine but as youā€™re the one putting in the time and effort to make this such a success, whatever you decide Iā€™ll be happy with. I agree you deserve a medal for what youā€™re doing.

3 Likes

Haha, thanks for the support man!

Iā€™ll set up a ā€œmedal Patreonā€ page :rofl:

5 Likes

Yeah, or you deserve some kind of monetary reward! Itā€™s a daunting task, as more and more people join with more and more addons coming, and expanding to 10 instead of 5, not sure how well you are going to hold up? But Iā€™m sure we all appreciate it! The least I can do is contribute my top 10 every month. Maybe you need some kind of staff to help out, or at least some groupies to follow you around handing out praise!

2 Likes

Iā€™m a firm believer that all pilots should have groupies following them around, I donā€™t understand why we donā€™t? :joy:

1 Like

Iā€™ve got these stored in my wardrobe so itā€™s all good!

7 Likes

Iā€™m very sorry, itā€™s 3080ti now. But it used to be 2070, and I managed to squeeze a very decent picture out of it, abeit 30fps and not as sharp as I wanted it.

And yes, the VR way is tinkering, trial and error. But it all pays off, when youā€™re inside, not before the flat picture.

1 Like

Have you tried the GotFriends 40th Anniversary Expansion Pack from Flightsim.to? It adds skis to the standard wheel variant, and a bush wheel variant on top :grin:

4 Likes

So it already has skis? I still have the mod with the bush wheels only. Thank you!

2 Likes

They keep updating it.

Whatever you decide @Baracus250, Top Ten, Dirty Dozen, I donā€™t mind. I just enjoy seeing peopleā€™s lists, their reasons why aircraft are included and your regular summaries. You do a great job here and with the Hobbs data and so on. :clap:

6 Likes

I made an impulse purchase and WOW, we are all sleeping on the Amphibian Kodiak. It makes the Kodiak a complete package. A little pricey for all the variants but if you could only get one, the floats is the one to get. Now, this plane can do what the only Twotter could do. Go basically anywhere in the world.

1 Like

Itā€™s a nice package but I canā€™t really agree the Floatiak is the best package and can go anywhere. it can go on water and paved runways that are long enough. Without proper wheels itā€™s not landing or taking off from 1500 ft grass strips on mountainsides - thatā€™s 90% of how I use the plane.

The Kodiak we have in the same is not approved for flying into icing conditions no? Compared to the Otter that is.