Your Current TOP 10 Aircraft

Yup, I calibrated it in windows…didn’t make a difference.

1. PA 32 when someone decides to design it

2. Bonanza

3. Baron

4. SR22

5. Honda Jet

6. Vision Jet

7. Carenado’s 337

1 Like

Hi. Thanks for your entry! :wink:
Just checking, but you don’t want to add 3 more?
What is PA-32? Edit: Ah, I see - a wish! Umm, so we can’t put that, this is just for released planes. So you can have 4 more?!

But at least we’re back on topic :face_with_peeking_eye::laughing:

1 Like

Yeah sorry about that Intermission guys!! We’re back in the room!

3 more weeks to survive until the first real report. What are we going to chat about next? :smiley:

Anyone surprised by anything in the current snapshot after 1st week of January?

I guess my biggest surprise (and I’m not a tubeliner guy) is that the Fenix is so low down. Compared to the FBW and 737.

Great to see the Beaver up there and the Porter out-pacing their own 310R. Can’t wait to see how much help the Willy being available in the in-game store is going to be to Her. I’m not so sure, I mean judging by the Wilga thread everyone was desperate to NOT buy it in the MP so maybe this is it?! I’m a bit confused.

The Tiger Moth and Twotter having the same quantity of votes just seems wrong though. I guess biplanes are more of an acquired taste?

1 Like

I flew the F-35 for the last couple days. They have done some wonderful work on it since I last flew. Still, such a super plane it is almost too easy to enjoy. But wow.

And the Longitude is getting my time tonight. HUGE improvements are coming. The beta is :fire:.

A biplane isn’t going to easily top a plane that can go anywhere. Even a mediocre one.

I think the Wilga will enjoy time in the top ten if the trend continues for not the Marketplace release.

The Fenix is a hard sell when two free A320s exist. But it is brilliant. It also really taxes slower systems and isn’t on XBOX.

The 310 is underrepresented so far. It will come back.

1 Like

F-35, not flown it for ages. Will have to give it a go again.

…that was my thing with why I stopped. Have you tried the F-22? Also super easy but so interesting to pull those crazy moves it’s capable of. For a supersonic jet it just feels so odd! Pretty jaw-dropping when you think you’ve “had it” but actually you still had plenty of margin for safety (well maybe not really safe haha. But I can’t die!).

I suppose we can claim the Beaver to be the clear favourite of the new 40th Anniversary options. The Airbus appears but way further down.

1 Like

For me, the biggest surprise is that not thst many people seem to have discovered how good the Orbx PAC-P 750 XSTOL is just yet.

This is a great plane to fly. To me the biggest factor in determining whether I’ll fly an airplane a lot, is its ability to give me a stabilised approach with the right configuration, pitch and power… I’m a simple soul, that’s all I ask for in a good plane. A good flight model always does that. Gives you the ability to set repeatable power and pitch you can rely on to fly the plane. You can put this aircraft down exactly where you want it to be, even in the worst weather once you’ve learned the settings - and the instrumentation has a unique design that lets you see very quickly through a set of LED borders, if you have got your power settings right…

And as a bonus the low wing configuration also gives it the ability to pull some amazing low level, low speed manoeuvres… a crop dusting variant is provided for you to do exactly that.

There are some imperfections - always are of course - default Cessna Caravan turbo prop sounds are used - impact on immersion absolutely minimal as the default turboprop sound isn’t that bad anyway and you won’t notice a thing unless audio engineering is more your thing than piloting, and a temperamental autopilot - actually that feels quite real for this sort of aircraft which you’d probably be flying manually a lot anyway - that’s how I work with it anyway…

It’s an astonishing southern hemisphere workhorse which I’ve grown to love - it does what the first release of the Kodiak did for me, probably a little bit better just because I have a slight preference for analogue instrumentation over all-glass but that’s just a matter of personal taste…

3 Likes

I’m waiting for the right F-22 to drop on Xbox.

But I am on a warbird kick these days. Any era. The F-35 finally has some weight. I dunno how to describe it. You can finally skid your speed off. But you can save it at any time. It is SO American.

It’s no Moth. The Moth feels REAL.

But, it is fun like the Moth. And a great one to fly up to FL55 and back down, to land like a helicopter. And it is WAY too easy to fly as a helicopter. Makes you wonder why people even like helicopters. Too hard! :yum:

1 Like

Agreed. Also factor is that Orbx aren’t exactly in the echelons of “trusted aircraft developer” but I wonder if another team made this for them. It’s such a huge step up in quality and complexity compared to the EA-7 Optica (I think the only other Orbx branded plane?).

2 Likes

The Optica has kept me from buying until a deep, deep sale.

You don’t need it now you have the GF one!

You missed my point. :smiling_imp:

1 Like

Oh yeah I see what you mean now.

1 Like

I might be getting interested.

Note: it is not listed as a turboprop in the Marketplace. Or it wasn’t listed as one when I last checked.

Old

• Flysimware Cessna 414AW with PMS GTN750
  • WB-Sim Cessna 172X
  • Fenix A320
  • Asobo stock Cessna 172 with WT G1000NXi
  • Asobo Cessna 208 with mod and WT G1000NXi

New

• Flysimware Cessna 414AW with licensed PMS GTN750
  • PMDG 737-800
  • Asobo stock Cessna 172 with WT G1000NXi
  • WB-Sim Cessna 172X
  • Fenix A320
  • Asobo Cessna 208 with mod and WT G1000NXi
  • WT CJ4
  • Asobo TBM
  • Asobo Top Rudder Solo 103
  • iniBuilds A310

The 414AW is still in my top spot, and is winning due to ease of control flights on VATSIM, where I feel I have a really good handle on controlling the speed, altitude and descent profiles when asked by a controller or other simmers on UNICOM.

In a new shocker, I’ve taken the plunge and bought the PMDG-800! As I said in another thread, I remember when I first got re-interested in flight sim when I saw the teaser trailer for MSFS. I was so blown away by how far we’d come that I got immersed in Twitch streams and it was all PMDG 737. So although I’ve turned out to be mainly a GA 414 guy with a Fenix A320, I now want to reconnect with that initial feeling, that initial buzz and excitement I got when watching streams of the 737.
It’s in my second place only by dint of it being my new Christmas hotness, we’ll see if it stays there and can change my GA spots. It’ll be a good long while before I use this bad boy on VATSIM!

The WB-172X is still an amazing bird for that ‘real world’ immersion, and making me use my Qref Checklist every time.
But keeping it ‘real’ to me means state-saving, and full realism on, all at my local airport.
Winter is therefore and naturally having a real effect on flying the WB-172X at the moment.

The 172SP with G1000NXi still has the Working Title factor, and the 172SP is a little more forgiving in winter flights, so at the moment it comes before the WB-Sim 172 during these colder days.

The Fenix has unfortunately fallen by the wayside ATM as I’ve been having some perf and stability problems when running the sim with this :frowning: . Which is a shame, I love it!
But it means I can’t really rely on the sim/Fenix combo on VATSIM when there’s a good 30% chance of a PC hang. I’ve had my PC hard lock on me a few times (hardware long switch off job) so that’s no use. No idea what’s going on ATM.

Haven’t gotten that inclination to properly try the A310 just yet. Got all my hardware mapped and all, and have taken off a couple of times, but nothing beyond that ‘how does she fly’ messing around, and testing the AAO scripts. Maybe one day I’ll revisit and get some proper old-school Airbus love.

Notable additions now that we’re punting our Top 10 - although TBH I haven’t flown these guys in a while:

WT CJ4 has nothing to prove to me or anyone and was the aircraft I chose when going my first VATSIM training event, and what an event it was too :smiley: . When AAU1 hits at the end of the month I’ll be revisiting this guy as it looks even more immense than it did before.

Asobo TBM was the first ‘fast’ bird I learned, and it’s a still joy to fly on the odd occassion.

And finally to complete the Top 10, I love the wee Asobo Top Rudder Solo 103 for super-low-and-super-slow flying. The basic airframe allows for great views and I use it to cruise above beaches and towns where I’ve been on holiday.

Until next time, G-F2N.

3 Likes

I realized I am fairly poor at describing flight characteristics of planes, so instead I will just focus on the “feel” of why I like each plane.

Trislander/Islander - I only have the Trislander but I believe the two belong in the same listing. What a plane! It’s like the difference between driving a Ferrari and an old Land Cruiser. A Ferrari is cool, but the Trislander always gives you 100 percent and has a soul and character. You can feel it “working” as you descend through clouds wondering if the engine is going to ice over or climbing in the mountains whether you will make it over or not. And then it will continue doing it over and over again. What a lovely school bus!

DHC-2 Beaver - most people will have had a chance to fly this already, but this plane helps me get into the mindset of a true Alaskan bush pilot.

Carenado 170b - This plane is super simple with a clean cockpit and is meant to be hand flown. For the current price it’s another excellent plane that I have enjoyed on Xbox (less buttons to fiddle with). Of all the planes, if I could afford to purchase a plane in real life, this is the bargain that I would most likely be able to afford (at least in my mind as I haven’t actually checked the real prices to keep the fantasy going). It’s a nice and very capable clunker to me :slight_smile:

Kodiak 100 - Tesla of the skies and can do everything! If I need a more adventurous flight through challenging terrain and whether, this is my go to. Icing? Zero visibility? Want to hand fly or have it fly itself? Let’s go!

Rutan Long-EZ - The EZ is a bizarre plane. It can fly at Everest heights, has a ridiculous range of like 1,800 miles, and I found it excellent for longer trips through the mountains. If you want to take a solo adventure and feel like you are alone in the world in an ocean of sky, then you might like this plane.

Fox42 Freedom - a fun plane to mess around in if you want low and slow, and the next second to climb at 4,500 fpm and land on top of a mountain.

Caproni C-22J Ventura - a small jet without any real aids aside from VOR (if you can call that an aid). For the price it’s very well modeled considering it was released a long while back. If you want an Italian sports car with great visibility then check out this plane.

To round off the list I have added 3 planes that I hardly fly at all but have enjoyed the few times I took them out.

Junkers Ju52
MB-339
DC-3 (looks like a fun plane but haven’t gotten in depth with it)

In terms of wishlist of planes:
PAC-P750
Beechcraft Bonanza V Tail
Wilga
Sting S4 - but that one won’t be available on the Xbox :frowning:

6 Likes

Well, if you’re poor at describing flight characteristics then you’re really good at explaining the “feel”! Kinda considering trying out the Islander now.

3 Likes

Man, some of you guys have awesome lists with birds I’ve never heard of.

Makes my list hella boring in comparision :smiley:

2 Likes

Awesome descriptions Segna. Thank you for writing those :wink:

One thing I must argue with you though! :smiley:

Huugghummmm < clears throat > … OLD Ferraris had plenty of character I’ll have you know!

You touched on my other favourite subject using the “F word”, so watch out, hehe :slight_smile:

No off-topic excursions again (yet) so I might leave it at that, hahaha

2 Likes