Your Current TOP 10 Aircraft

Very fair point about the F word, and those older Fs I feel you could take to 100% all the time. In my mind I was comparing the Trislander to newer cars that you don’t get to take to 100% unless you are on a dedicated track :wink: I like my engines to really sing!

As for this forum thank you again for keeping it alive, I love to learn about all these new planes and spend hours researching them (even though I know I may not enjoy flying them myself ie Cessna 414 or any of the airliners).

3 Likes

Yeah totally. I think my preferred era is definitely the mid 60’s (hence my username, 250GT SWB / 250LM / 250TdF) to early 90’s (F40 is what got me so into it!). Some of the newer cars are indeed gorgeous (the last ones designed by Pininfarina at least, F12 and 458) but the latest ones are just too much - and fiddly over-designed too. Lost their way a bit I feel. The Roma is nice looking though.

I went off topic again, didn’t I?

Back to planes: I like all the ones on your list (haven’t got the 170b though) and your descriptions ring true to me, so I do think you’d like the 414. Flying it manually it’s very nice. Definitely prioritise the Wilga next though, really! :wink:

No worries! And thank you (all) for being a part of it!! :slight_smile: :+1:

1 Like

A mention of the LongEZ!

A very good plane that released a bit rough. IndiaFoxtEcho has really come through with the updates for their planes.

It is quite good, now.

1 Like

I second that! And, to the surprise of exactly no-one, also add the Tiger Moth to the wish list! In terms of the “feel” the Moth and the Wilga are very much in a league with very few others, if any.

2 Likes

Also, for feel, those warbirds by Flying Iron are hard to beat. The Spitfire has remarkable feel in the air. The Hellcat does too, and has possibly the best tail dragger feel on the ground in sim. The P-38 Lightning is also stunning, but you don’t have to deal with torque or tail dragger issues since it has counter rotating props and tricycle gear so it is a bit easy compared to the other two.

The Tiger Moth just keeps slowly climbing my list of favorites. Nothing else really feels like a canvas covered biplane in this sim. A true delight to fly.

4 Likes

Yes, I’ve heard only good things about Flying Iron. Their current warbirds aren’t the ones I’m looking for just yet, but with the BF109 and the FW190 on the roadmap I’m certainly going to pick them up to see for myself if the praise was warranted. And if they ever do other fun birds like a Boomerang, Wildcat, Zero, and a few more, then those will almost certainly be in my hangar as well!

Really glad to hear you’re enjoying the Tiger Moth seemingly almost as much as I do :smile:

2 Likes

Flying Iron’s graphical modeling is so good. Like, rivet dents and the smallest imperfections. And the textures. Even greasy hand and footprints make it into their builds.

Carenado may be the best at making a plane that looks like it rolled off the floor yesterday. But Flying Iron is king when it comes to making a plane look like it has been in use for 75 years.

Of the three we have right now, I think the Spitfire is most likely to charm anyone who flys it, and the Hellcat is the best looking model.

4 Likes

Of the three, it’s the Spit that’s most likely to get me to buy it. In all honesty, I can’t fully put my finger on why I haven’t already. But let me think just a little more and who knows, I may well buy it in the end :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No comment…. I can’t spend more of your money :rofl:

2 Likes

Current top 6:

1. PMDG 737 - best plane in the sim, who needs an EFB?
  2. Milviz C310
  3. Kodiak 100
  4. HondaJet
  5. Milviz Corsair
  6. FBW A320N
4 Likes

The Islander also has great feel. But I have to bring up the model and textures as they look a bit last generation compared to other planes. It hardly matters once you fly it, as it feels and sounds so good. But for the model alone, I would wait for a sale instead of paying full price.

3 Likes

Hi. Thanks for the list. A couple of questions…

Which 737 variant do you have? -800?

Sure you only want to mention 6 (can have up to 10)?

It does but they rotate the WRONG way if you get an engine out. Both props rotate outwards. Instead of the one critical engine you would get with identical direction props, both were “critical”. Engine out on take-off in a p38 could be deadly.

There were a lot of crazy theories about why they did this, but someone actually asked Kelly Johnson himself at a conference back in the 80’s, and and according to Kelly Johnson they tested all possible combinations of prop rotation and both props rotating outwards gave the most stable gun platform. The primary purpose of the P38 was to shoot things down so both rotating outwards is what they went with.

The P38 (Craig Wall)

I met Kelly in about '82 or '83 at a seminar in Norman, Oklahoma. I asked
him about the P-38 props turning outboard at the top, giving two critical
engines.

I though I knew the answer: because the spiral flow off the props was
opposite the tip vortices, the ship should be cleaner. And it is. But that
wasn’t the reason he gave…

He just said “it made a better gun platform”.

That was it. The entire purpose of the airplane was to shoot, and anything
that made it do that job better was the deciding factor in all decisions like
the prop rotation, etc…

He said they actually tried it in every possible combination of prop
directions, and that’s the one that worked best and gave the highest gunnery
scores.

That day I learned to focus.

Craig Wall

5 Likes

I did and it was worth every penny, nice to take for a Jolly from St Marys to St Just
I got fed up of waiting and paid the full £30 for the Twotter though and I have to say, I love it. Oban to Barra, land on the beach, Loganair Scottish flag livery, awesome. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Do you think you can see up the Twotters kilt if you look at it from underneath as it flies over your head?

4 Likes

Anybody compared the Flying Iron spitfire to the DCS spitfire?

Are you making fun of my Irish ancestors again? Lol

2 Likes

Aye and it’s no a pretty sight :rofl:

5 Likes

I too can recommend the FI Spitfire … you won’t regret buying it!

4 Likes

You can see it’s twot!! :rofl:

2 Likes