Your Current TOP 10 Aircraft

Just say that to yourself as if you were Mr Miyagi from Karate Kid. Sounds authentic to me!! :rice: :chopsticks:

1 Like

You beginner luck!

1 Like

ONLY when used correctly as in a turn fight they were dead meat against a zero.

They actually could do rather well in the right hands:

P-40 and Zero the Australian 75th squadron stationed in Port Moresbyā€¦ were the only serious aerial defense against Japanese attacks coming from Rabaul and Lae.
ā€¦ . It was not uncommon for only one plane to challenge twenty or more Japanese. After 44 grueling days of combat the 75th destroyed 35 planes with another 15 probables and roughly 50 damaged. Their loss was 11 pilots and 16 P-40s lost to combat and 6 to accidents.

The P38 had similar issues if it tried to turn fight:

Joe Foss Researcher@Large - 1943 USMC interview with Joe Foss If any of the enemy fighters made an attack, theyā€™d just pull up, give a short burst, and the enemy fighter would pull right back up out of range. When they failed to do this one day, three of them were shot down. They went down below 20,000 feet to get some ā€œeasy meatā€, (these float bi-planes that can turn on a dime) - went down and tried to dogfight - that was the end of three P-38ā€™s.

Of course what gave the allies the biggest advantage against the zero was the Thach Weave named after John Thach who came up with the tactic.

1 Like

Top 5

1. PMDG 737-8
  2. FBW a32nx
  3. Default C172
  4. Milviz c310
  5. Kodiak 100

A big downer for me is the just flight PA-28, Did several flights with it and had less than Great experiences

1 Like

It needs an update, they have promised one but we are still waiting.

2 Likes

Here is my list for January 2023:

• MS/Asobo/Milviz/Blackbird DHC-2 Beaver. Wow, this plane has a lot of names. I love this thing. For me, by far the standout of the 40th anniversary collection (I donā€™t fly airliners). I love the modelling, I love the sounds, I love the systems depth. Itā€™s just deep enough for me to have a lot of fun in but not so deep that it affects my framerates or crashes my XBOX. I really like that there is a seaplane version included. I really like the way it reacts to inputs. It just feels honest and sincere. Iā€™m from the west coast of Canada so this plane is just a part of life. My primary hardware is the TCA Boeing Yoke and throttle, and this plane matches up perfectly. Pendular yoke + three axes. A match made in heaven! If I had one criticism it would be that I wished we had a bush version with tundra tires on XBOX.

• FlightFX SF50 Vision Jet G2. I think Iā€™ve said enough about this plane in these forums so Iā€™ll just give the short version. It may be a terrible performer in real life, but itā€™s perfect for mid-distance travel in the sim. Iā€™m almost completely a GA sightseeing player, and this allows me to do what I like while also playing jet pilot. The visibility is amazing, the systems are simple but can do everything I want, and the handling is pretty good to boot. Itā€™s also fun to play with the autothrottle. I hadnā€™t even considered this plane until I watched a FlyingFabio stream about it and Iā€™m glad I did. I just finished my tour of the lower 48 states and the first 20 or 25 (I flew west to east) would have taken a lot longer without this plane. The developer is super active too and thereā€™s already been two updates. Highly recommended.

• Flysimware Cessna 414AW. Although this was on my original list, I didnā€™t actually warm up to this plane for a while. I liked the way it felt hefty in pitch and roll, but I didnā€™t really gel with the style of plane. Like I said, I fly really low and anything pressurized or anything that uses ā€œflight levelsā€ is usually out of my range of interest. But I did the second half of my lower 48 tour in this and ended up growing to really like it. Looks great, sounds great, flies great. I really appreciate the steam gauge version of things Iā€™ve only ever used on glass planes, like the radio altimeter and the thing that shows the glideslope (Iā€™ve forgotten the name of that instrument). Anyway, itā€™s a wonderful blast from the past that is very usable every day. Actually Iā€™ll just mention one more thing: I love the way you arm the altitude on this thing. Being able to flick each digit individually is so much more efficient than endlessly scrolling that wheel on the modern Garmins.

• Default MS/Asobo 208B. This has to be on my list because I flew it almost exclusively for my first year of flight simming. Itā€™s not the deepest or most complete simulation, but I like the plane that it represents so much that Iā€™m just happy itā€™s there so I can pretend to fly it. I also like to imagine Iā€™m carrying pax from island to island and bush strip to bush strip, even though the doors donā€™t open on the default model. The 414 and the SF50 both require more runway than this, and the Beaver is much slower. So it fills a niche.

• Default MS/Asobo Zlin Savage cub. Iā€™ve recently discovered a love of flying up and down the Fraser River landing on whatever little sandbar or gravel patch I can find. I have no idea if this plane is correctly modeled or simulated but it allows me to have a great time landing on the stall horn and I love it for that. Not sure at all if it feels like a real plane (never flown one), but it sure feels like flying.

8 Likes

Update to my January list:

• Fenix A320
  • SWS Kodiak
  • FSW Cessna 414
  • FlightFX HJ420
  • HPG H145
  • Got Friends Wilga
  • SWS Vanā€™s RV-14
  • Darkatar
  • DC Designs F-14
  • Indiafoxtecho F-35

As an aside, Iā€™ve been using the AviaWorx FlightMonitor and like it a lot (I find it more accurate than other landing analysers). Just yesterday I decided to look at their FlyByWire module and liked it so much, I decided to get it. It really makes a difference when flying in really windy conditions (or whenever MSFS decides to offer up really crazy and variable winds on final).

3 Likes

@FellCloud996202 & @FL991R

Thanks for the lists. You only want to vote for 5? You can have up to 10 if you wish.

Five is good for me, just wanted to make sure those planes got a vote from me. Thanks!

1 Like

@MEMcM
Youā€™re updating for the 3rd time in January?!
Sorry but thatā€™s not the idea. Please wait until later in the month if youā€™re likely to change your list. Itā€™s just more work for me to redo the same pilots list multiple times in the same month.

Do you want to stick with this now or delete that post and post a final FINAL list before end of the month?

4 Likes

January Top 10 from me.

These are in order of my hours report from our MSFS Hours & Hobbs application. But I have skipped some that had more hours that I donā€™t fly much at the moment. Looking forward to our forthcoming update that will give reports on recently flown aircraft too. :slight_smile:

1. Supermarine Spitfire L.F Mk IXc [Flying Iron Simulations]
    Still brings me joy on every flight, a bit of a challenge but worth it once you get the take-offs smooth.

2. Piper PA-28-161 Warrior II [Just Flight]
    My original trainer irl. So this will always be in my list, even though it is in need of a (coming soon) update.

3. BAe 146 [Just Flight]
    Complex and stunning to fly. Always a challenge using the AP but that is due to a few hoops to jump. Canā€™t wait for the update to this.

4. FG-1D Corsair [Blackbird Simulations / MilViz]
    Another one of my favourite models from when I was young kid. Beautiful shape. Great to fly too. Similar to the Spit but in other ways challenging.

5. Pilatus PC-6 Porter [Blackbird Simulations / MilViz]
    Everything Blackbird/Milviz does is gold. The recent update to this has brought it back to life for me.

6. BN2 Islander [BlackBox Simulation]
    This and the BN3 but I had to choose one. Just a solid down to earth (lol) aircraft, as is the BN3.

7. Beechcraft King Air 350 | Steam Gauge Analog Overhaul [Black Square]
    Love the Blackbox overhauls. But again 10 slots so could not fit both of them in.

8. de Havilland Tiger Moth [Antā€™s Airplanes]
    Totally hooked on this. I canā€™t put my finger on why. It is slow and very challenging to fly in higher altitude. (Try it at Lukla). But looking at my Hours & Hobbs report this has immediately gone up there to the near top). If you have flown it you will know what I mean.

9. DHC-6 Twin Otter [Aerosoft]
    I will always love this. It got such a needless slagging on release, and the guys at Aerosoft handled it admirably imho. It is an excellent aircraft model and it was on first release. Since updates it is even better.

10. Concorde [DC Designs]
    For me this is probably the biggest challenge on MSFS. But that is mainly due to me being lazy and not learning all the systems. That said, it is possible to Auto Land and navigate quite easily, love it.

Why didnā€™t the Wilga make it? Well that would have been number 11.

Cheers and thanks for the great work. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Eleven?!?! Thatā€™s an OUTRAGE!! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes
6 Likes

P-40 is meh. Worth a buy? At the price? Maybe

1 Like

Oh shame. At least it wasnā€™t expensive but you could have paid for 1.5 of the 4 rotors of a 206 :wink:

Probably wonā€™t fly too well with half its blades missing though!

I guess FlyingIron warbirds are a hard act to follow let alone beat.

1 Like

I took the Spit up next. It has weight. All around great plane.

1 Like

P-40 was meh IRL also. But the Zero pilots found it to be good target practice.

1 Like

It is meh in a different way in sim. Very light. Too light. Too easy. Doesnā€™t feel right. Beautiful model though.

1 Like

Ah okay, maybe one of the DCS developers will make one? At least on DCS you could try it for two weeks before you buy it.

1 Like

OK, I swapped the Warhawk for the Vans RV14. Please no more changes this month :wink: Cheers!