Your Current TOP 10 Aircraft

Pilot Description: I prefer bush, STOL, GA, vintage and very light jets and that is reflected in the aircraft I have chosen. Mabye one day possibly I will get the 737-700 or -800 if it goes on sale, for some short Southwest-style flights, but generally I am not a fan of airliners. I live near Miramar (the original Top Gun!) but I haven’t really gotten into military either. I prefer steam gauges but sometimes indulge in glass, especially where necessary.

Where I Fly: Anywhere in the world that looks amazing but mainly San Diego, Southern California (especially the desert), Idaho and the Northwest, Canada and Alaska.

1. SWS Kodiak: glass cockpit, but the power and STOL capabilities make it my top plane. I can’t see anything dethroning it.
  2. Milviz Beaver: the perfect bush plane, steam gauge, stable - what a beast. The Got Friends freeware mod brings it up to just barely below my #1.
  3. Black Square Analog King Air: when I want to fly fast GA, with all the analog bells and whistles.
  4. Black Square Analog Cessna 208: when I want extra power in my STOL flights, with all the analog bells and whistles.
  5. Got Friends Wilga: at the price, I had to be talked into picking the Wilga up, but I am happy I did. Another perfect STOL plane, lots of things to do and play with in the cockpit.
  6. Got Gravel Savage Carbon: FREE! A wonderful mod of the Savage Cub, tons of power and climbing capabilities, XSTOL to be honest. I actually fly this more than any other plane.
  7. Black Box Islander: probably the most fun to fly around Hawaii, Alaska, Iceland, the islands of Great Britain.
  8. Just Flight Warrior: my favorite plane to practice real flying, circuits and general technique.
  9. FlightFX Vision Jet: very modern, the joke that it’s like flying an iPod is pretty much spot on, but there are things to do in the cockpit and you get to see the scenery on quick trips around the country.
  10. SWS RV-14: pure joy, fast, aerobatic, also a good cruiser.

Honorable mentions which could all easily make my Top 10: 310R, Staggerwing, Sting S4, DC-3, Twin Beech, JPL 152, Honda Jet, V35, Arrows.

7 Likes

@Baracus250
Hi Baracus,I don’t know if that’s true,I haven’t seen toplist this month, maybe I haven’t found it yet, oh ■■■■ the mouse wheel.

Hi. Sorry, I’m totally confused… you don’t know if what is true? You can’t find what? This is your first post in this topic. What am I missing? :slight_smile:

EDIT: January’s “results” will be published this Sunday.

In post 1 is the end of 2022 results. Is that what you mean?

1 Like

Me neither. A few days ago, my sim began stuttering, that it came to a point where it was completely unflyable. The solution was to clear the rolling cache and restart the sim and everything was back to normal again. Weird stuff…

Freesync should work with any Nvidia card. Nvidia added support for almost all monitors with Freesync some years ago.

Yeah I got it all working thanks to @WarnersWorld and a few other kind folk in the thread I started. All good now so I’m pretty delighted!

1 Like

So, here I am yet again adjusting my list which almost got lost for ever in the annals of time (or something like that anyway)

My old list from Jun '22 (I know, I know! I should be ashamed of myself)

1. Milviz Cessna 310
  2. FlightFX Hjet
  3. FSW Cessna 414
  4. FS Reborn Sting S4
  5. JF Piper Arrow Turbo 3/4

So … my new list. Quite difficult really, since I now fly in only 2 or 3 favorite aircraft.

1. PMDG 737-600
    Not sure what I am doing here putting an airliner at no.1. These things are straight up boring aren’t they? Well, actually, no. This thing is a brilliant product. Almost as cheap as chips (it always helps, doesn’t it?), great on fps and most important to me very high fidelity and lots for me to learn since I mostly fly GA. Who cares about the missing EFB? Well, actually quite a few people do it would seem but not me. Circuit breakers are inop. which I found a bit strange but other than that, yes, definitely no.1 for me.

2. BS King Air (Analogue)
    Deservedly my no.2 and only recently kicked off no.1 spot by the fantastic PMDG above. Using the FTsim sounds this is a very rewarding AC to fly. Starting from cold and dark it takes no prisoners until you get the hang of it. Treat it with the respect which is its due and it will reward you 10 fold. A firm favorite now and one which, for me, is well worth the fairly hefty price of £28 for what is basically a mod of a default AC.

3. Milviz/Blackbird Cessna 310
    A great effort here from the devs. with good maintenance options and genuine downsides for the reckless pilot. A good buy and one which I still fly. The main dev who oversaw this is now working on the Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird, I think, so that, I am guessing, will be a thing of beauty too when it eventually hits the streets (metaphorically only, hopefully)

4. PMDG DC6
    Full disclosure here. I’ve not flown in this for a couple of months or so but I remember when I did that it was quite rewarding. In the beginning I had to rely on the Flight Engineer a lot to avoid completely trashing the AC every flight but after bribing him with 100’s of cups of coffee I eventually learned enough from him to fly it completely solo. Another great job by PMDG which might now need updating (not sure tbh)

5 - 10
Come on Barracus!!! You want more? More? Now you are being greedy!

Not sure where to go now, what to do or who to see. Totally lost! No matter, I’ll do my best.

In no particular order (as they say)

• FSW Cessna 414. A good AC and the dev is still doing updates.

• FlightFX Hjet. Again a good business jet and Marwan is still doing updates and seems keen to improve it as much as poss. An updated G3000 I think will also be coming as well at some stage.

• Blackbox Trislander. Quirky, ugly (sorry, being too honest here) and a bit different. Great on fps too on my 100 year old PC system.

• JF Hawk T1/A. Rewarding to fly and start up cold and dark. Not too sure about the pitch on take off but I understand that JF are looking at maybe refining the flight model a bit.

• JF Arrow Turbo 3/4. I had good times in this ages ago. One of the first decent GA (for me anyway).

• Milviz Corsair. Again not flown in this for a bit but on launch imo at any rate it had a great flight model and sounds.

So there we finally have it. An updated list. See you all again next year (only kiddin’ :slightly_smiling_face:)

Still on thread (okay, maybe not but I’m a tryer if nothing else) are you still happy, Barracus, with the Honeycomb Yoke? A yes or no is okay here since I really have no wish to make you go off topic :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

How very dare you call G-JOEY, our own Channel Islands DC-10 equivalent, ugly….I don’t know what this world is coming to :slight_smile:

Thanks for the long-overdue update! Let’s not leave it as long next time, huh? :slight_smile:

Yes I totally am. It’s lovely. The only thing I hate is that it’s taken time away from flying the Willy (for which I use a joystick, as you should! :slight_smile: ). *

I know there is better around, BUT it’s all I need. I am sure that since I recalibrated it in Windows, the previous small deadzone has gone away. It feels super responsive to the slightest change in pressure and feels very refined at all positions. And the 180-degree rotation really makes a good difference to accuracy. Love it!

I made a profile to change the magneto selection / ignition to instead change the fuel tank selector so that’s a nice added bonus. Have not found a new use for the other switches yet but there will be one - just haven’t needed anything more yet and it will be a per-plane basis probably and I’m too lazy to keep changing profiles for every plane. When will they give us auto-selection of all profiles selections based on picked aircraft?!

= * sorry if that counts as a continued Wilga Blitzkrieg effort - I don’t mean to… just speaking from the heart ;)*

1 Like

I like the fuel tank selector idea! That is totally worth having a dedicated control for. Now if only I could find a way to remind myself to actually switch tanks. :upside_down_face:

I know, I know. I really do need to up my game here. Will try to do better in future :joy:. It’s Asobo’s fault. I’m spending too much time now siming in the 737 and King Air :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks for the comments on the Honeycomb Yoke. Still looking to buy this although the prices have shot up at Box by £30 (£329 on Amazon). Anyway, not in a massive hurry. I like the look of the Fulcrum but can’t really justify it for twice the price of the HC.

Good point too on Asobo’s method of assigning controls to specific aircraft. Yeah, agreed, it’s a bit of a pain the way it works. Asobo maybe need to get Laminar in here for a couple of hours to show them how it’s done :slightly_smiling_face:

Anyway, my next AC update will definitely be in Feb. I’m not commiting myself to which year though! Only kiddin’. Take care :+1:

2 Likes

By the way that wonderful little WBSim/JPLogistics Cessna 152 Improvement Mod has been updated to Version 2 :

6 Likes

A Post-It sticky note stuck to your controller is probably “on theme” for realism :angel:

I even went to the length of getting myself one of those Dymo old-skool letter press machines to make labels :slight_smile:

1 Like

————————
Final Reminder!!
————————

If you want your votes to count for January, I’ll need to have your lists by / during tomorrow as I’ll be freezing voting on Sunday (UK time) whilst I work on the first content update to be published thet day. First time doing new way, so might take me a little longer :wink:

Cheers!! :bowing_man:

3 Likes

It’s been a while, and my original votes were when it was 5 instead of 10 aircraft. So here we go with a new update:

#1: Wilga 35/80 Series - Got Friends
#2: Vision Jet - Flight FX
#3: Edgley Optica- Got Friends
#4: Goose - Big Radials
#5: Discus-2c- Got Friends
#6: Ryan ST-A Special - A1RDesign Bureau
#7: Bell 206 - Cowan
#8: F-22 - Top Mach Studios
#9: Kodiak - SimWorks Studios
#10: Hot Air Balloon - Hype Performance Group

4 Likes

Hey! You’re not allowed to put the Wilga first! What do you think this is, a sales channel? :stuck_out_tongue: :innocent:

Actually it doesn’t matter any more - every mention just gets 1 point/vote now hehe. Thanks for the update!

1 Like

Lol Alright… put the Optica in as #1 :wink: LMFAO

2 Likes

Nah you’re OK! I’ve raved about it enough (everywhere… to the point of annoying people. Probably sold a few copies for you!) and you’re right to be proud. I’ll let you have that one haha :love_letter: :kiss:

1 Like

Just you and I picking this one so far!

Can you poke Big Radials to fix their Goose, so I can put it back on my list (pretty please!)? :smiley:

1 Like

Hi Baracus, sorry for my poor English(cant write but read),and there is the misunderstanding cause by translation.
Yes, I’ve been looking for the January’s “results” for the last few weeks.and I have never posted in this topic before,Just follow your outstanding contribution to the community for a long time.
And thank you for your reply! :smile:

edit:I just saw your announcement that the update will be updated once a month in the future. I always thought it would still be a weekly update like before.So, that was my mistake.

1 Like

How is that MS FFB2 stick with the Wilga? Realistically speaking, in your opinion? I mean how accurate is the feedback forces felt through the stick for an airplane like the Wilga? Your best guess, assuming you haven’t flown a real Wilga? Or maybe you have?

Was looking at used MS FFB2s on Ebay, maybe even just for helicopters? From my few hours in helicopters, I remember there is not much stiffness or resistance in moving the cyclic, just the resistance from the connecting rods and force required to move the piston in the hydraulic actuators. I guess all helicopters are this way, the cyclic has to be hydraulically boosted or it would be really hard to overcome the inertia of the main rotor disc (blades) which is essentially a big spinning gyroscope.

And the movement required is barely perceptible especially in hover (balancing on a beach ball) and the feedback from the stick was very little resistance and a pulsing or slight kick in cadence with the main rotor blades. Just wondering if the MS FFB stick replicates that?