Your Current TOP 10 Aircraft

Nearing the end of the month, so my list, in no order, follows. No new purchases, just a bit of commentary.

1. Just Flight Turbo Arrow: As I said previously, this is just almost perfect. Still no patch yet for the reported flight model issues, but I don’t seem to have a problem with it, possibly because this version is all I’ve ever known. I’ve flown this almost every day since purchase and it just seems right.

2. FlightFX VisionJet. Timely updates and good support from the dev. Haven’t flown as much as I intended; there’s a reason for that, and it’s partly to do with the JF Arrow winking at me and saying “just one more leeetle hop to over there, it’s not far” and partly because of the next choice.

3. SWS Kodiak: This had been in the hangar for ages, as sim updates made it almost unflyabale for me. I was away when the patch finally released at the MS Store so had to wait a while before I could jump in. First flight, disappointment, I couldn’t fly the thing smoothly. I decided to start again from scratch, watch videos, read and knuckled down to relearning this. Adjusting controller profiles certainly helped, as did treating flights as training sessions rather than flights. Result…now I’m loving it again. I just wish there was state saving in this mod, but I don’t think they intend to implement it.

4. Carenado V35B. Probably the best looking plane in the sim for me and very easy to jump in and fly (if only the Arrow and Kodiak didn’t get in the way).

5. Iris PC-21. Has enough brute force to intimidate the Kodiak and Arrow’s and their constant need for attention, but she’s just letting me have my time with them for now. She knows I’ll visit her for an afternoon in Wales at some point.

6. Asobo G36 with improvement mod. Still a great plane, still a dull interior.

7. Asobo 172 Haven’t used it for a while, but I still recognise how good this and the…

8. Asobo 152 …are.

That’s all for now. My mouse has hovered over some purchases for a while, but the use I’m getting out of the Arrow and Kodiak is holding me back. The money has gone on scenery (UK coastlines) and small airports (from Burning Blue and Pilot Plus) instead. I quite like the look of the soon-to-be released Vans 10 and the price is good, so may be tempted by that. Also looking forward to the AAU update when it comes out of Beta.

5 Likes

Are what? You tease! :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi Kiki. Just checking what you mean by AoA?

Chris Palmer’s plane : the Cessna 172 N2423U aka AngleOfAttack by Bagolu @ flightsim.to

1 Like

The Islander is definitely on the “need to buy list.” Little bit of competition right now because DCS is also having their Chinese New Year’s sale. I think I need that Mosquito after reading comments from people raving about it here. Its on sale in a bundle with the P-47 which I don’t have yet either. After finally receiving my HP Reverb I feel the need to blow things up in VR versus flying the Islander around right now.

2 Likes

Looks too notch, would definitely get liquid cooling to go with that rig and unlimited pocketbook.:grinning: I might put up with what I have and wait for the X3d though and choose different RAM than the Corsair.

EDIT: would stay away from a Zotac GPU and get a EVGA or ASUS

1 Like

For the GPU the guy I spoke to at that company said that was really expensive. It is with CPU liquid cooling though (Corsair iCUE H115i Elite).

Looks like this is back on the table for me too now… some kindly soul has taken the time to help me and MY PROBLEM IS FIXED! :partying_face: It was blooming vsync in-game setting. Switched it OFF and I’m back to “normal” now! I never changed that setting so no idea why it went wrong, and even less idea why it gradually got worse!

Anyway, the rush and pressure is off it seems, so I can revert to my original plan of seeing the 7X3D performance before deciding!

Noted - thanks!! I will try to ensure that. He said it depends what brand they have in stock for builds at the time, and currently it’s Zotac but next week or month it could/will be something else.

2 Likes

That’s great! Such a simple thing, I will remember that one. Good thing you found it with expert advice.

That Corsair unit is pretty expensive, I’m sure it’s more so after the builder marks it up. I have the Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML280 and it’s had no issues and is also highly rated at 2/3 the price and not much more than a aftermarket fan cooler like the Master Cooler Hyper 212. I started out with the Hyper 212 It’s fine also but takes up a lot of room in the case and doesn’t look so cool like the liquid cooler with the radiator fans and the RGB LED lighting. Wish I had got the liquid cooler from the start. Just don’t go with a stock cooler/heatsink that comes with the CPU, they are adequate for normal computing but that’s about it.

1 Like

Yeah man! I am emotionally drained after all this, I tell you.
Just done my first flight “for fun” in what feels like 2 weeks and I am relaxed again now! I missed it!

I will never understand this software… has a mind of it’s own!! So so strange. In my 35+ years of gaming I have never seen anything like it’s temperamental ways. I suppose you could say (being kind) that at least it has a personality. Just a shame it’s such an annoying one! hehe

Remaining “new” issues (coz there HAS to be SOMETHING to fix, right?)

1. XP Force suddenly stopped working since switching vsync off. No idea how those two things can even be related, but here we are. If I try to launch with XP Force, just black screen (before Checking for Updates, no errors) and “Not responding” in Task Manager.

2. With vsync off, got some pretty awful screen tearing now… so I still need a new PC but all you naysayers out there… I won’t have anything bad said against my little machine! She does fine! Ain’t gonna run a Category B training simulator (maybe it could!), but you have to admit it’s pretty amazing for such a small box you can put in your (big) pocket and tiny bag :wink:

All PG and LOD I have checked so far (not for long yet tbh) is back to what I would expect with my super low draw distance and hitching frame rates haha

1 Like

maybe … but 100C CPU temp is not normal that is certain to be thermal throttling and will result in a substantial drop in performance.

That said, your MSFS diagnostics show you are GPU limited not CPU - go figure.

1 Like

Also vsync is an old technology now that causes lots of problems. G-Sync (Nvidia) and FreeSync (AMD) are suppose to fix a lot of those problems.

1 Like

Yeah agreed. Just checked again (thinking the GPU problem may have been making CPU run in circles abnormally), but it’s still hitting 90-100 on all cores (only for a moment, then back to 80-ish).

If I can get this thing to last another month without spontaneously combusting, I will give the reseller a call and see what’s up. If I do it now they will want me to send it in probably.

I don’t have native G monitor though. It has Freesync Premium, but I have Nvidia card so… trying a new setting now!

Momentary spikes are a little less worrisome. If it was sitting on 100C continually that is a bigger issue. Check with them anyway though.

2 Likes
Cape Town has been rebuilt today!

But seems Boise was a red herring - still looks ■■■■■'ed

2 Likes

I believe I’m allowed to be a naysayer due to my Irish and Scottish lineage!

1 Like

Oh yes, fair one. You got me there… you carry on :slight_smile: :ireland: :scotland: :four_leaf_clover: :beer: :cloud_with_rain:

1 Like

I’m gonna try not to buy a lot of add ons right now because most of my budget is going to buying my first car (I which is one Ford explorer) :slight_smile:

1 Like

So we’ve gone from 6 to 9 in the space of 4 minutes :slight_smile:
Sure you can’t squeeze another one out to make 10?

You have 2 days. There is always the Wilga you could add to the fleet. Ooops, I did it again, didn’t I… :angel:

2 Likes

I Wilgonna try to do that.

EDIT: Will add the Flying Iron Spitfire to make it 10. I really like it, flying low over the beaches. But I was using the Honeycomb Alpha with it and it didn’t feel right, not as agile as a stick. I have my Thrustmaster Warthog but doing a DIY center stick arrangement with an extension to make it more realistic for Warbirds. So was waiting to finish that before using the Flying Iron aircraft. I have the Wilga on my buy list, was overwhelmed by the Wilga blitzkrieg.

I really doubt if you are feeling apologetic about that :smirk:

3 Likes