"Your Game Licence Cannot Be Authenticated" Xbox X MSFS Premium Deluxe

Xbox X
MSFS 40th Anniversary “Premium Deluxe”
SU12 1.31.18.0
I flew test flights yesterday and reported bugs and bug fixes.
Today, once again, completely unable to open MSFS due to an Xboxlive server error.

Can we please get some kind of acknowledgement that Xbox or Azure are aware and are working on some sort of long-term fix to this chronic issue? Or, do we need to resort to writing letters higher up (since Zendesk is a dead end for network issues, as they have no visibility).

I have made no progress after 24 days. Four MSFS re-installs plus a full Win10 reinstall. I spent about a week everyday with the Zendesk. They ultimately referred me to Xbox support and that is where the trail ends.

At this stage, I’m on a mission to learn more about the Azure servers.

It’s not up to customers to fix Azure - it’s up to Microsoft.

It’s actually Xboxlive servers that do the authentication, but Azureedge does caching and acts as a CDN. I haven’t identified the specific traffic that fails. It’s possible that it’s not even the server connection, but the logic in handling the request itself…

If I expend any more effort it will be in to a letter to Jorg Neumann (head of MSFS) and Phil Spencer (head of Microsoft Gaming).

1 Like

Getting this error today as well. On the beta. Cannot load in the game.

Series X / Premium Deluxe

Edit, signed out of my Xbox live account and back in with the game open, fixed for now.

Hi,

Issue back again ? Unable to connect to MSFS as I get authentication licence message error on Xbox Series X.
Any updates ?

Yes, me too.

Last night at about 7 pm (EST), I uninstalled MSFS, and factory reset my Xbox, and re-installed MSFS 1.31.19.0 (Base game + World offline data 129 GB)

I rebooted and started installing World Updates.
I rebooted after every 2-3 WU installs, and had no issue starting MSFS each time, until…

… After installing WU 11, and 12, I rebooted and launched MSFS … and here it is:
“Due to an unexpected error your game license cannot be authenticated.”

This suggests that the real issue resides in WU 11 or 12 … I have rebooted Xbox and launched the new install of MSFS about 5 times since the clean install last night, and only got the problems after WU 11 and 12 were installed.

I click “OK” and proceed to the MSFS home screen, and go in to the World Map to make the first flight, C152, I just choose one of the default offered airports. When I click “Fly” I get the following:

I DO HAVE the World Offline Files installed (60 GB), but MSFS fails to detect that and offers to “Exit and download offline content”…

• If I click “OK”, it puts me back on the World Map, but I can’t fly.
  • If I click “Exit and download”, MSFS crashes, and Xbox puts up an error:
    “Something Went Wrong”
    CV: kEBT4aW9AUItZmHTMTCQ9r.79

… this error code changes each time I try, or each time I click “Reload this page”.

But in conclusion, with a factory reset Xbox, and new install of MSFS 40th Premium Deluxe, I can not fly.

@moderators … I am willing to ship you (MS / Asobo) my Xbox in the orignal box if it helps to diagnose and fix these ridiculous problems.

Yep I have this same issue. There doesn’t seem to be a fix just hope and pray I guess

Just come back now. Xbox servers issues, it’s not on our side I guess.

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

yes

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Moderators: since the networking problems fall between 3 distinct companies or departments - with no clear indication of whose responsibility it is - can you provide any news to us about who has been contacted about this issue? I recognize the “Feedback-logged” tag, but othewise, there is no information, and some of us have been locked out of using MSFS for some time now… just looking for some reassurance that someone is actively looking at the issue?

Is Asobo aware?
Is Microsoft aware?
Is the Xbox Live team aware (I believe it is their servers that do authentication)?

If the forum staff don’t have the ability to contact these teams directly, please advise, and I will put in the effort to contact them all directly myself. They probably don’t want to hear directly from consumers - but since this forum is staffed by volunteers who don’t have visibility in to network issues, and likely don’t have access to the people who need to know … maybe it’s best if customers do contact those departments directly?

Please advise,
Thanks.

2 Likes

I had a livestream hyped up and planned for tonight and then this problem happened. Super disappointed. I’m doing a reinstallation to see if that fixes it

This work around worked for me. But you always have to back out to home first before signing out, then get back to the game through quick play

If you sign out WHILE in the game, it won’t work.

This bug is outrageous though. Needs to be high priority and fixed asap

@GimbalAxis What NAT type does your Xbox report?

1. Press the Xbox button to open the guide.
  2. Select Profile & system > Settings > General > Network settings.
  3. Under Current Network Status, the NAT Type field displays your current NAT type.

I’m not 100% sure if that screen shows an IP address, but if it doesn’t, could you share a screenshot of it? The reason I ask is because this can happen if the Xbox has issues opening some connections with the Server infrastructure. 9/10 times, it’s due to something like strict NAT, or double NAT.

Full specs:

Internet Service Provider: Bell Canada
Internet Package: 1 Gbps fibre optic (tested, full speed)
Modem: Sagemcom Fast 5566 (aka HomeHub 3000), default settings
Xbox Series X (May 2022)
Xbox OS: 10.0.22621.3446 (xb_flt_2302ni.230208-1530)
Shell Version: 2302.0.2302.6003
Connection: Wired, Ethernet 1 Gbps, IPv4, NAT: Open
Xbox Network Test: 875 Mbps down / 300 up / no packet loss / 1480 MTU
MSFS: “Premium Deluxe” (“owned”, not GamePass)
Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.31.19.0_neutral__8wekyb3d8bbwe
OneStoreProductID: + 9NRRJLLXM68V
TitleID: 69F80140
ConsoleType: XboxGen9 X1XE

Please note: The MSFS main installer + World offline mode files, downloaded at roughly 700 Mbps (129 GB in less than an hour) so there is no problem with my internet connection, or NAT).

Please also note: When the BASE game is installed and opened for the first time, there is NO issue - no “authentication” errors or “you are offline” errors. Those seem to only happen after installing World Updates.

So now, today, I am in the middle of methodically installing World Update 1 to 12, in order, and doing a full shut down, then full restart, then re-launch MSFS after each install to find which one is the problem (likely 11). I will post the results.

Go to DNS settings and try changing the servers. You can use 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8 for example.

May I ask if you are part of the development team (MS or Asobo)?

I will try changing DNS when the problem re-appears…

But I don’t think you are understanding the issue. Right now, I am in MSFS - it opens fine right now, after a clean install with only WU 1, 2, 3 and 4 installed. I’m currently installing WU 5 - then I will reboot and open again.
Then WU 6 and reboot and open again
Then WU 7 and reboot and open again…

I predict that when I reach WU 11, the problem will appear. If that is the case, then it is NOT a DNS issue - it is a CODE issue with one of the World Updates (or in some combination with SU12, Xbox and Premium Deluxe).

But, I will try changing DNS when the problem appears.

I have an Xbox Series S myself, I have all the WU’s installed. I do not have this issue. I’d go bet that a lot of people also have all the WU’s and don’t have this issue.

I’ve read what you’ve written in the previous messages, I’m just trying to troubleshoot this with you. Let us know if changing the DNS fixes anything.

1 Like

OK. You say “us”… are you part of the development team?

And are you using MSFS 40th Anniversary, Premium Deluxe, and in SU12 beta?

I am a moderator in the MSFS Discord server. Everyone on the planet uses 40th Anniversary Edition as that is what the sim was renamed to on the day of the 40th anniversary, Premium Deluxe that I also bought with my own earned money, and I am on SU12 beta.

1 Like