"Your game license cannot be authenticated" issue upon starting MSFS

Hi i can confirm same problems after Windows Update (2022-10 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5018427), but i managed to solve a problem.
Uninstalling latest win update did a trick for me :slight_smile:

Was getting this all day even when I logged in through xbox ā€¦ fortunately nothing else was broken.

Same for me. After updating Windows 11 I have mentioned message ā€œYour game license cannot be authenticatedā€. No online services available, including terrain generated by Bing maps.

1 Like

Same issue for me which started when I updated windows a few days ago. I have gone though all the steps but no luck. All online services still work for me and I have bought from the marketplace fine itā€™s just the message will appear every time I launch MSFS

1 Like

Iā€™ve got the same issue (MS Store version running on PC). Usually I press OK and everything is OK, but over the last few days it just randomly seems to ā€˜forgetā€™ all the settings and reinstalls airports like EGLL, LEMD, KORD, etc. for which I have third party airports. I donā€™t want to mess up my community folder, as I have a lot of addons (which I realise may be contributing to the issue), but it is just so sporadic. Iā€™ve the most recent versions of the Xbox app, etc. This is just frustrating.

I have uninstalled the latest security update KB5018418 and now everything is running as it should be and no unwanted messages anymore. I highly suggest to uninstall this security update by Microsoft and pause your updates up until to 4 weeks, until this problem is resolved by MS.

1 Like

Thank you for this. I didnā€™t have this specific update, but have rolled back KB5018427. MSFS still is showing the ā€œgame licence cannot be authenticatedā€ message followed by the need to update and reset settings. However, this will hopefully be a one-off and hopefully the next time MSFS is started it will be ā€˜fixedā€™ for me too!

You need to look for the specific security update which was installed after the 12.10.2022 inside your update history. It can vary. I am on 21H2. W11. I dont know where you are at.

1 Like

When that happens to me, I use the task manager to close the attempted start up of MSFS, then usually it loads normally on the second try. Still, itā€™s a bit irritating that it happens.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions @PaRaBaS6435 and @Makiwa9044. I re-applied all updates, to see if I could locate security update KB5018418. I also logged out of Microsoft Store and Xbox app and then logged in again, once I rebooted my PC. I thought Iā€™d check if MSFS was still getting the ā€œgame license cannot be authenticatedā€ issue, but it all worked OK! Iā€™ve been into MSFS a few times now and still not had the error. Am on all the latest updatesā€¦ Windows 11 Pro version 22H2 OS build 22621.675. Hopefully the issue wonā€™t come back

1 Like

Well, it already works with the win 11 updates, it seems that it was solved.

1 Like

Confirmed.

1 Like

I have the DVD version and worked fine for more than a year. One week from now start that issue with licence authentication and lost all online services. Please help.

Scroll up. See my post about security update.

The new security update has fixed this for me

I have just started to have this issue randomly.

This issue just happened to me this morning.
After the error message popped up, I clicked ā€œOKā€ and it looked like the game was starting but eventually it came to a point during the game loading that it suddenly dropped out of Microsoft Flight Simulator altogether.

I am still running Windows 10 on a PC.
I opened the Microsoft Store and clicked on my Library. Many different apps showed Update Available so I clicked Update All.

After doing that, I did a Restart on my computer.
Then (from the XBox app, as usual) I launched MSFS.
The warning message came up about MSFS had closed unexpectedly and asking whether to launch in Safe Mode or Normal Mode. I clicked on Safe Mode and MSFS launched no problem.
I exited MSFS.
I relaunched MSFS again (from the XBox app). MSFS started normally; no error message, no Safe Mode option popup. Marketplace is not greyed out. Various external apps appear to be working fine with MSFS (Traffic injector, Rex Wx Force, Little Navmap, Transmitter for LNM). So far so good!
Perhaps the ā€œUpdate Allā€ in my Microsoft Store Library was the solution?

1 Like

You did exactly the correct thing.

From the troubleshooter for this issue in ā€œSupportā€ at the top of the page

UPDATE GAMING SERVICES AND RE-ENTER YOUR CREDENTIALS

1. Open the Microsoft Store app on your computer.
  2. In the bottom left corner of the Microsoft Store, click on the library icon
  3. In the top left corner, click ā€œGet Updatesā€ then "Update all" and wait for the updates to install.
  4. Once the updates are installed, click on your profile icon in the top right corner of the screen.
  5. Under your email address, click on "Sign out".
  6. Reboot the computer
  7. Open the Microsoft Store app.
  8. Click on the icon in the top right corner, then click on Sign in.
  9. Sign in with the Microsoft account you used to play Microsoft Flight Simulator.

Nice to hear you have things going again!

1 Like

Many thanks @TheSevenflyer
I have exited and restarted MSFS a few times, sometimes after a restart of the computer, and the problem has not recurred. I check the Microsoft Store ā†’ Library and do the Update All.

For some reason though, I have noticed over the past several days that frequently when I open Microsoft Store it indicates the blue dot next to the Library icon indicating update(s) are available. When I click on the Library, it shows approximately two dozen apps for which it shows Update available.

I click Update All, they all complete, yet later in the same day or following day it appears those same apps are again showing that an update is needed. This was not happening until a few days ago but seems to go on happening, as if the system is not recognizing that I have actually completed the Updates.

How can I solve that recurring issue?

The workings of the Microsoft Store is not something I know a lot about.
What I would recommend is that you contact them directly, I suspect they may be the better place to go for this issue: