"Your last session of Microsoft Flight Simulator ended unexpectedly" message

Please tag your post with #pc and/or #xbox.

Are you on Steam or Microsoft Store version?

Do you have any add-ons in your Community folder? If yes, please remove and retest before posting.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?
No

Brief description of the issue:
Ever since the update, when I start the sim I get an error message saying “Your last session ended unexpectedly. Could be due to 3rd party content. Do you want to start in Safe Mode?” I never saw this before. If I choose start in normal mode, it works fine. Any ideas how to fix this?

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detail steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

PC specs for those who want to assist (if not entered in your profile)

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:
World Update 6 (1.19.8.0)

Did you submit this to Zendesk? If so, what is your ticket #?

I’m getting this too. No matter what option I try I always get this prompt. Safe Mode is supposed to load MSFS with zero Community and Marketplace items. I don’t get CTDs always but even with an apparent clean exit I still get this message, addons loaded or not.

1 Like

I just found this discussion.

I think this is happening because closing the game is actually a crash. Notice that when you quit the game, the music stops for half a second, resumes for half a second, then the game closes. Same thing happens when you get a CTD in the game.

Since the beginning of MSFS time, there have been users complain that the game CTD when hitting “EXIT”. Many, including myself, thought it was a weak joke.

Push EXIT and end up at the desktop? What were you expecting?

However, it is actually a thing. The sim can have an exception during the shutdown. When this happens, the new protection system detects it as an “unexpected” shutdown.

You have a problem in there somewhere…

This right here. For months now, MSFS doesn’t shut down for me. Closing the game crashes it. That’s why we’re getting the safe mode option on restart. It detected a crash. And this new feature is actually working as intended.

Just thought I would reply to this because I am having the same problem. I do have mods in the community folder. Running the latest World Update 6.

After the installation of Microsoft Flight Simulator 6 Update,
And starting Microsoft Flight Simulator the image below appears
I have already tried many different things to fix this and the message still appears on Microsoft Flight Simulator Startup

Your last session of Microsoft Flight Simulator  ended unexpectedly

i am also getting the same message, any fix?

I have moved this to Bugs and Issues since it is more likely to be seen there

Have you tried to move the contents of your Community folder to another place? When you installed WU6 did you empty the community folder before installing

If removing the contents of the community folder works and you can start normally then you can return your community content one at a time to find which one is causing the issue

hmm i emptied the community folder before the installation of wu6.

Install was fine no problems there, even startet the game ones new after install without any community stuff and boom got the massage.

There was no crash involved what so ever, i just closed the sim over the menu like you should with no ctd.
But i still get the massage every time i start the sim, as said even with an empty community folder.

Than with my mods in the community folder (and i have a lot of stuff like 220gb or so) i get the message at the start but i face no crashes what so ever.

Even after SU5 i just had crashes when i move the map, where you plan your flights, to fast.
Other than that not one single ctd.

Same now with WU6 the game runs without problems the map crashes are gone too and i use the community stuff till now without crashes, but still the message at the start appears.

I mean its no problem just one click and its gone but its funny when it tells you you crashed when its not true^^

Before I update Microsoft Flight Simulator I move all files from the Community folder to a different folder on my had drive.
I also close my Flyinside Heli Manager.
There was no crash during Microsoft Flight Simulator Update Version 6

Theres another thread about this already. I to have no addons and it doesnt matter how I finish the flight, next time I run the game the old safe mode box appears again. Its the ‘Press any Key’ screen all over again. LOL???

2 Likes

Chances are good that the sim experienced an error during shutdown…

In Windows Explorer, goto:

C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState\

And delete the file “running.lock”

Next startup you won’t get that message anymore.

2 Likes

Thank problem for me to Community 16go!

How do you exit MSFS after a flight? Are you using the Quit to desktop option in the main menu? You should only get that message after an abnormal exit.

So I went to try this and looked for

C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState\

No Microsoft.FlightSimulator* dir at all at that location. So I searched all drives on the system for a file called running.lock. No such file on the any of my drives including sub folders that match of even come close to matching…

Thanks for trying but no cigar for you on this one LOL.

Always from the quit on the bottom of the main page. Doesnt matter if I abend the flight, make a flight plan and follow it to a T. Land in a grassy field, always the same thing.

I really really am starting to hate this GAME! It still runs fine, its just the stupid little window everytime I start. I should -r usercfg.opt and see if that changes anything maybe it just dont like LOD=10 settings in the cfg file…