1.30.7.0 Xbox Unable to launch MSFS 40 Premium even after factory reset and fresh install

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and add-ons?
Yes

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?
No

Brief description of the issue:
Xbox X, purchased MSFS 40th Premium on Nov 23. I was in SU11 Beta and currently in AAU1 Beta. Automatic update yesterday to 1.30.7.0 resulted in “Your game license cannot be authenticated.” … So I uninstalled MSFS, factory reset Xbox this morning, just did a fresh install of MSFS 40th Premium and get the same error. Unable to launch or play.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Factory reset Xbox and fresh install of MSFS 40th Premium…

Installs fast, completes in about 70 minutes

After fresh install, full reboot BEFORE opening, check network is OK, check signed in, check everything, THEN open MSFS for the first time, and bam:

I have a screenshot from before factory reset, in MSFS, showing the purchase is real, I have the receipt from Microsoft store printed, etc.

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:
Uninstall MSFS (not saving data)
Sign out of Xbox (not saving data)
Factory reset Xbox
Xbox set up > Canada
Xbox sign in to my account
Game Pass Ultimate showing
Automatic update to Marketplace something or other
Install Insider Hub app
Install Xbox Report a Problem app
Reboot Xbox for good measure
Go to Xbox Store, find MSFS 40th Premium (owned showing), Install
After install completes, check file info, looks correct
Full reboot of Xbox for good measure
Check network, signed in, all good
Launch MSFS 40th Premium for first time…
Error, “your game license cannot be authenticated”

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:
Xbox X

If on PC, Fault Bucket ID - Instructions here - Please type in just the Fault Bucket ID # rather than a screenshot for privacy reasons:

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

So basically my purchase of MSFS 40th Premium Deluxe 2 weeks ago is non functional on Xbox X with 1.30.7.0

Can anyone give me official instructions? Is there a server issue causing this, or am I just “lucky”? Should I just wait a day, or few days? Should I factory reset once again (3rd time in 24 hours)? I don’t really want to leave the beta testing, but is that really the only choice? I’m happy to provide screenshots in DM of my xbox os info, serial number, MSFS file instance info pages, all that so you can troubleshoot…

Every since I woke up at 6:00 AM today, I cannot play Flight Sim as I get that error, it will not connect to the servers, and even though I have the offline content installed, it says I do not…so I cannot even fly that way. I believe this happened once before, and it is more of an Xbox Live issue vs. MSFS. I “tweeted” MSFS Support, but no response so far, however, I know it is still early on the west coast which is where I assume they base their hours on.

Has anyone else experienced this either today or another time? Is there someway to get it to work, or is just wait until Microsoft fixes whatever is going on?

It is super weird I cannot play in “offline mode” since it is installed, so something crazy is going on. I can buy things, earlier this morning around when I woke up so 6-6:30, I bought the Boeing B-52, Ben Gurion Airport in Israel, and literally as I am typing this I bought Cancun International Airport just to see if it would work and it did.

It is Saturday, I just want to fly! If anyone can help or is having the same issue please let me know, and thank you in advance!

PS: I am in New York, just in case that may help in anyway and I have also tried all the troubleshooting steps there are. I really hope I do not have to reinstall my game! Xbox Series X.

Try rebooting your machine. Worked well for me on the two occasions that I have seen this hapen.

Gotten that a few times. I simply ignored it and continued.

I logged out then back in to my MS account and that fixed it for me.

Thank you for your responses! I still cannot get on, because it says I do not have the offline files installed, but like I wrote in my original post, they are installed.

I have no clue what is going on, game was working absolutely fine last night. It is weird, I can go in the store and buy airports and planes, but it will not connect to the actual game server…very strange!

If anyone else has any ideas how to fix this, I would really appreciate it. I really do not want to have to install the game all over again.

Thanks again everyone!

This thread seems like a similar issue.

It sounds like an authentication server may be down for Xbox.

Yes I started getting this yesterday (Dec 9) when my Xbox X auto updated my MSFS 40th Premium Deluxe in the AAU1 Beta testing to version 1.30.7.0. Upon launch I got the error and can’t get in.

So I tried all the suggestions:

• unplug ethernet, switch to Wifi (makes no sense, but I tried)
  • Sign out of MSFS and out of Xbox, sign back in, see purchases are “owned”
  • Completely uninstalled MSFS and factory reset Xbox

No luck, I’m grounded, can’t fly.

1 Like

One solution that “sort of” worked for a couple folks was posted this thread:

The virtual FAA is always watching. Did you actually think you’d get away with flying under that bridge?

Sorry, just trying to lighten things up until Microsoft gets its act together.

Is Microsoft aware of the issue, is someone checking if the servers are an issue? The Xbox status page shows no issues, but I think it’s obvious from multiple reports of the same issue, that something is wrong on the network side …

I’m sure they are, Asobo does follow the forums pretty closely.
Bear in mind though, this issue has been happening to folks since the sim was launched, and has historically been pretty well all attributed to user setting issues.

Have you gone through the support troubleshooter article?

I have fully uninstalled, factory reset, new install. No saved settings. On a virgin install, it won’t launch. My internet connection is a full 1 Gbps as tested IN Xbox. My Microsoft / Xbox account is fine, it shows my purchases and Game Pass subscription is there. And… others reporting all the same thing in the past 24 hours - since the 1.30.7.0 update yesterday…

So if Asobo are “paying pretty close attention but it’s happened since the beginning” and disregarding, that’s not very … responsive. I just paid for the Premium Deluxe and it won’t open, on a virgin system.

I’ve been in the beta testing since July, and I’m now very proficient at fully signing out, uninstalling, factory resetting xbox, and doing a clean, fresh install of MSFS with no previous artifacts or settings. This process has (for the most part) resolved all kinds of bugs (which seems to imply there are still bugs with the update process itself).

This however, is different. After a full signing out, uninstall, factory reset, and fresh install - where the installer shows MSFS 40 Premium Deluxe as “Owned” - upon first launch, it won’t authenticate the license. It’s a factory reset brand new install, with only generic settings - so it’s not possible that it is a “user setting issue”.

This linked article, from 2 years ago (Jan 2021) suggests steps that are for PC, not Xbox. But I have gone further than these steps anyway, by doing a complete deletion of all settings, uninstall of MSFS completely, factory reset of Xbox, and new install. In other words, this would happen with a brand new customer buying a new Xbox X and MSFS 40th Premium Deluxe - on 1st boot, unable to authenticate license. And all the suggestions mentioned I could find. So I can only conclude this is either a bug in 1.30.7.0 or an unacknowledged server issue somewhere… Thanks.

2 Likes

Once, a few months ago, I had to go into system services and STOP the XBox Authentication Service and Restart it. That appeared to fix it for me that one time…
I enclosed a screen shot of the service.

Can you leave the beta and go back to the current release? If that works , then you know 100% the issue is with the beta - and not a network/firewall issue or something more esoteric that’s happened.

Thanks, but Xbox X here. Honestly I’m done. I factory reset, that proves to me it’s the beta or the servers. If I’m correct, others will have the same issue, report it, and eventually it may get noticed and fixed. If I’m wrong so be it, but I’ve got no energy or enthusiasm left for this. My one day off was shot doing troubleshooting again, instead of finally enjoying MSFS as I had hoped. Lesson learned - I hoped for too much.

1 Like

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Yes
Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

Issue occurred after new update
If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

I getting ctds when I load up at the gtae every time Xbox series s