10 minutes video (by Pilot Studd) showing the visual quality degradation | Comparison SU4 to SU5

You did read the video posters comment didn’t you?

Hi, what are your LOD settings in this video?

Great for you, but how does anything that you wrote “help” people having issues on “their” machines?

I’ll be honest… with your vid… I’m having a hard time seeing a huge difference… other then FPS… and a tiny bit more popping on SU5

1 Like

I’ve watched this video and can’t see any degradation! With regard to the environment being brighter I think it’s an improvement, before I felt the sim was too dark, especially under dull overcast weather. The sky is indeed very bright above the clouds and our eyes do a great job of enabling us to accommodate an enormous range in brightness. On the whole however I am quite disappointed with this latest update.

that’s why some don’t see the differences. Understandable, what you do not know is not lacking.

Now imagine, for example, I use a resolution of 4500x3200 pixels. I see when the quality has been annoyed.

I have found old screenshots from the Aokigahara and Mount Fuji for comparison.

What speed internet does Pilot Stud have? I have none of those issues in 2k at Ultra setting, sliders both up to 200. The scenery looks drop dead gorgeous for me. No pop-in of trees or buildings and no degradation of visuals. Everything looks crisp!

That doesn’t mean others aren’t having issues but it also doesn’t mean it’s necessarily the sim’s fault.

Update*
I’m now seeing all of these issues. It seems to be specific to certain cities or areas. Flew over London this morning and it was horrid! I did not see these same issues when I flew over New York City or Toronto the last couple of days. The only problem in Toronto is the water masking is completely pooched around the City Centre Airport. It looks horrible and this is a showcase Upgraded airport from Asobo.

1 Like

Pretty ■■■■ sure several of you guys suffer from the same strange phenomenon as I do, take a look here: Settings do not stick since SU5

I have some comparison screenshots. The former photorealistic dream of cloud graphics and cloud rendering has degraded significantly in quality, but not the scenery.

Here is the Aokigahara and the Mount Fuji from third of September 2020

This is a screenshot from a similar angle from today:

Thankfully I have several thousands of screenshots for comparison since the first Day One flight in the new Flight Sim 20 :slight_smile:

(I have now disabled this HDR-overblooming for better screenshot comparison.)

Now the HDR/overblooming is deactivated. Here is a great improvement of water reflections noticable since the update, the quality how Mount Fuji and the clouds reflect is impressive:

(I have set the scenery and cockpit self-shadowing to a resolution of 4096x4096 and the simulated raytracing on for enhanced visuals.)

1 Like

Especially in the top two pictures, SU5 looks more realistic to me. Many people have complained that everything is too dark when there are few clouds in the sky or the sky is completely overcast. Now it has been lightened and looks better to me and you can see at least something. Just google Mount Fuji aerial photography. The top image has way too much contrast and saturation.

2 Likes

The screen becoming too dark or too bright depending on the camera angle is a feature called “eye adaption”.
I will try to disable it to see how the scenery changes.

The polished yet realistic worn and used-look steel design of the thrust lever that also came with the update looks absolutely photorealistic and awesome, the airplane did not have this reflection on the metal parts of the engine control levers but these parts were some kind of plain grey.

The seat belts are now missing in the Cessna Caravan, these seat belts looked awesome and immersive - why are they gone?

The update brought many good things - but like I said I absolutely do not like how the awesome quality of these photorealistic clouds from the early flight sim 20 days degraded over time patch after patch ongoing for months now.
I please want the original Alpha release clouds back these were absolutely intense, absolute photorealism! Pure quality. The fog was kinda half-transparent with not so sharp edges indicating where the fog “begins” and where it “ends” but like real fog fading out, the clouds had more realistic lighting and transparency and not so sharp defined edges but it was more like flying into a nebula instead of having a sharp clearly defined “mass of white” hoovering outside the cockpit windows.
I absolutely hope Asobo brings back these awesome clouds from the early release days.

Here is a screenshot of the early release days clouds:

2 Likes

I think all this talk about picture quality degradation in SU5 is complete BS. I think also the quality is almost the same, in fact, thanks to the performance optimizations, I can push the LOD further from the config file to 3.0 or 4.0 to get stunning views with acceptable performance.
Having said that, I do agree though that the stability of SU5 is questionable with the repeated CTDs even after the hotfix.

2 Likes

it did, on xbox lol

1 Like

hahaha put your glasses on!

1 Like

oversaturated, is what I think he meant, and he is correct

This is real world video from the cockpit view:

Are the visuals downgraded in your opinion? You have an eye for these things as a photographer I assume? I uninstalled MSFS some updates ago and haven’t used it until SU5. My dinosaur doesn’t run MSFS at Ultra anyway but at medium - high settings I haven’t really noticed a downgrade in visual appearance.

Could this all be a big placebo or maybe it’s caused by the over exposed picture now with SU5 being perceived as less crisp shadows etc.?

What settings do you use for this Nvidia after effect thingy (or whatever it’s called)?

@gordongreig Opinion on this?

Update: The time of day is different between the shots, it’s possible to make it look similar in quality:

Ground textures in the lower image are definitely less sharp. At first I was going to suggest a different focal point had been set, but the decals on the wing seem the same in both images.