Disappointed in Sim Update 5

The only grief I have, and not for me but for other, is CTD. I didn’t experiment once from SU5 and I have more than 14h in, but due to the amount of report, it’s a real problem and it need a rapid fix. I saw a hotfix is on its way (CTD with some other bug fixes) so that’s pretty cool they react quickly.

Other problems I saw or that was reported are fine tuning, small bugs, etc. nothing really game breaking that can be fixed quickly. People complained clouds was grainy, now they are too cartoonish, need tuning, no more. Pop-in? don’t bother me, they need to add a setting and everybody happy, etc. Nothing which worth what I read so far with all those hates and those “I’m done and I reinstall MarioKart”, “I sold a kidney for this Sim and now I have a console bad game”, etc…

Best post resuming exactly my feeling was made above, it’s mature, and constructive. Not from me, but I’m also a casual simmer and VR enthusiast so it ring a bell to me:

That’s the way I would like things to be reported, smartly. I understand frustrations, not the way they are expressed, so i’ll take some rest from the forum until all those hates cool down.

its not perfect but it works fine even excellent on my machine so by normal logic the issues must be individual hardware related. It really isnt brain surgery !!

1 Like

Couldn’t agree more.

Mine just constantly crashes now…

this update kills the immersion for me big time…
Guess it’s time to downgrade

1 Like

■■■ !!! Those are my screenshots.

ultra settings

24 Likes

Developer: Boss, I don’t think people will like this.
Manager: Nonsense, no one will notice. Well done!

4 Likes

It didn’t look like this before… who cares about perfomance on xbox really…

6 Likes

A picture is worth a thousand words.
Thank you.

The sim looks like Strike Commander from year 1980 that came on 20 floppy discs.

5 Likes

Need help to toggle the spoilers on Eurofighter Typhoon after the update. I can find the button for closing it, but not open it. Using T.16000M FCS Hotas Flight

I don’t usually feel the need to complain about updates but this one has been truly awful for me.

With SU4 the only issue that really bothered me was the stuttering in some of the larger airports. I was getting a steady mid 30’s smooth fps with lovely visuals.

SU5, a minor increase in FPS (maybe 2 or 3 fps), Stuttering at large airports about the same or slightly worse.

Clouds look pretty bad now even on ultra.

The AI generated buildings are shimmering like there is no AA at all and they pop in and out of existence from about a mile out.

Tree draw distance is drastically reduced, I was quite happy with it in SU4 was well over 5miles out, now like the ai buildings they are popping in and out at about 1 mile, and past that it looks like they don’t exist at all.

I’m getting a fairly regular freeze of over 5 seconds where my cpu and gpu usage plummet to zero and it looks like the game has crashed, but it eventually recovers.

The lighting and reflection quality is pretty bad compared to SU4 looks very unrealistic now.

The elevator trim control on some aircraft causes a clicking sound and rather than incrementing in small amounts it goes to full up or down causing me to lose control.

The heading bug I used to be able to rapid click and it would accelerate or slow click Icould do 1 degree increments it’s now so slow it takes me about 2 minutes of clicking to turn 90 degrees.

Clicking on the fly button would usually get me in the plane within a few minutes, it’s more like 10 now.

There’s many other issues too, but I’m giving up on this for now until they fix it (assuming they do and it’s not how they intended)

So to sum up SU5 = no real performance gain for visuals that are far worse and some extra bugs that make it a chore to fly.

13 Likes

The mods closed our voting wishlist thread saying that the dev team is unable to make two separate versions :nauseated_face:

Looks like we’re stuck with shoebox-hardware anchoring us down for the next 10 years.

7 Likes

Its always a bad idear to put PC and Xbox togehter in one executable.
The Xbox will pull down the PC quality!

4 Likes

This didnt work for me… Would you mind sharing a screenshot of your nvidia settings panel please?

1 Like

CheapestFinest

1d

Had a perfectly working SIM in SU4, everything set up and tuned to my liking. SU5 completely obliberated my game…

• No Approaches or Arrivals in World Map (with and without NaviGraph data installed)

• Key Bindings broken - appears the custom bindings that I created in SU4 and that are stored in the cloud did not get updated to include new keys. I have placeholder text in the World Map and in-flight.

• Attempting to download purchased 3rd party content from Content Manager would fail with “package failed” message

All of these I resolved by:

• complete fresh install of the Game (148GB base, 43GB Content)
  • Duplicated SU5 “Default” Keyboard, Mouse and Joystick keybindings and customizing them again to what I had in SU4 - that was pretty painful.

Numerous CTD, from Update Screen, over World Map, to flight loading screen, to in-game.

So far resolved by:

Outstanding issues:

• Attempting to load any flight plan generated in Little NavMap 2.6.15 crashes the game on world map
  • Most keybinds double trigger, e.g., [ALT + Arrow Up] should only translate cockpit view forward, but in addition to doing that it also translates cockpit view upward [Arrow Up]. Similarly, selecting saved camera 1 [Alt + 1] also triggers ATC Menu option 1 [1]. Double checked - the exact same setup did not double fire in SU4.
  • State is no longer present in “Legacy” tooltips, which is a shame, because I rely on that information a lot when flying.
  • New “locked” operations don’t work for me, again as actions double-fire: selecting a know with LMB and then turning mouse wheel, turns the know but also zooms the cockpit view.
4 Likes

do you always need to hack things for get something working as intended in this game?

1 Like

To be honest- I have been flying msfs since the 2000 version. It has always been buggy and still with msfs2020 it remains buggy. After the new update my sim will not stop crashing. I’m basically at the end of my simulation experience. I stopped flying msfs after the last version they made (before msfs2020). I just couldn’t take the bugs, crashes, no volume etc… nothing but a pain. Then I discovered XPlane 11. I never had a more stable simulator than xplane 11. Never crashed always ran very well with little to no issues. Now I am back on the sim and happy. Next comes msfs 2020 and I am super excited about the game. Basically nothing but problems again and now I remember why I left msfs in the first place. It’s just too frustrating. I need xplane to get a sim using google earth imagery and I am back in. Yes I’ve uploaded google earth imagery to XPlane. I don’t want to go through all that. I want to pay and fly. Not be a computer programmer

2 Likes

Either that or such an item would have looked very bad on the weekly feedback snapshot.

In all seriousness, I’d like to thank the mods - it’s got to be very stressful having to monitor the forums those days.

1 Like

Antialiasing - Mode ---- override

Antialiasing - setting ----- 2x
Antialiasing - transparency ------ 2x

Msfs PC 2d display settings to “high end"
msfs AA set to TAA in vr