20 fps on 3440x1440 ultra 5900x 6800xt

Have you tried it with SAM disabled? My point was to try the opposite of your current setting. There coiuld be an impact.

1 Like

I have tried without sam :slight_smile: also tried without d.o.c.p and without any overclocking at all. But i think seth was on to something when he saw that rendering was the issue… when i go from 200 terrain LOD to 10, i go from 20fps to 50. even on low end preset with 200terrainLOD i only get 20fps

Because they buy AMD junk.

Just because im having issues with one game… does that make AMD junk? :rofl: when i buy hardware i look at price to performance. not branding :raised_hands: And here is my justification for this rig.

CPU:
5900x i paid retail price, about 550 usd aprox. 10900k was 650usd aprox.
12 cores vs 10 (10900 was flagship at the time i bought my rig
5900x is more powerefficient. wich saves me money in the long run. 105w tdp vs intels what? 300?
pci-e 4.0 on amd, pci-e 3.0 on intel (futureproofing for GPU upgrade in a couple of years

GPU:
3080, 1000usd aprox here. 6800XT LC OC same price
10gig on 3080. ( i use vr alot, so again, more VRAM for future proofing. paying 1000usd more for a 3090 for 10-15% performance increase is just… No. Same with the 6900xt… paying 50% more for 10-15% more performance is just… no

My old rig was a 7700k with a 1080ti incase you think i am a AMD fanboy

Now if you got any arguments to my logic here… id be happy to hear them :slight_smile:

The problem is you think MSFS is a game, it’s not. MSFS is processing thousands of calculations a second, pulling in data from servers and connecting you to multiplayers in your area. In reality MSFS is more closely aligned to the Boeing Simulators you see at training facilities. In AAA title you simply move around a 3D lifeless dome.

In MSFS wind and atmosphere are a live entity and there’s hundreds of sensors on your plane. It takes a **** load of processing power just to get you in the air.

Once you change your perception you’ll hopefully understand that and start to triage what’s going on with your system.

Game or Sim?
If you’re just wanting a game experience head over to the settings and change the flight model to legacy. That should remove all the new MSFS stuff and free up some processing room.
If you’re wanting the sim experience then get your hands dirty and work the settings. We’ve all done it and it’s part of the sim unfortunately. One size does not fit all.

Your old rig would run MSFS better too. Should of just upgraded the video card and more faster ram.

1 Like

I know its a simulation… but its also a game :slight_smile: ive been a “simmer” since the commandore 64 and atari 2600 era. i know these things a rescource intensive on the hardware. however… when my old pc, 7700k with 1080ti gave me better performance, i know that something somewhere is wrong… and its not on my hardware end. every other game i play performs as expected. like i posted earlier, 75-80fps in cyberpunk all maxed out at 3440x1440

Also i see that nvidia users have to go into the controlpanel and disable MSAA to get the sim to run properly… Now… is that the drivers fault? or the sim`s fault… like they report, no issues in other games with MSAA on in the control panel

And it did :slight_smile: i was on 32gig 3200mhz B-die ram with CL14-14-14-34 on my old rig. so not much more to get in terms of performance there… however, 4 cores vs 12 for simming when DX12 comes to msfs is not excactly futureproofing :stuck_out_tongue:

Try turning off SAM. I’ve seen benchmarks where it hurts FPS in FS2020.

Man, there are some amazingly unhelpful posts in this thread. The lecture on this being a simulator and not a game followed by a suggestion to switch to the Legacy flight model in particular was priceless.

I’m interested in following your progress as a fellow 5900x user, and I think you’re hot on the trail with the Terrain LOD tripping up the 6800xt, but it sounds like you may be approaching the level where an Asobo engine developer would have to take your rig and sit down with an AMD engineer.

For reference, I matched your ENSN flight setup as closely as I could. I’m getting 50 fps at 200 LOD, and 65 fps at 10 LOD. FS reports GPU limited in all cases (even though MainThread timing is higher?) running at 4k scaled to 80% and Ultra on a 5900x with the 3090 instead of a 6800xt. The 3090 is faster than the 6800xt, but it’s not twice as fast at 50% more resolution.

4 Likes

Apparently it does. Yet the 6800XT overall absolutely trounces the mid range 3070 in real world benchmarks and trades blows with the NVidia high end cards , they’re everywhere to see. You know that, and others do too, except apparently one person with a honking great big chip on their shoulder.

As you said, performance or current lack of it in one title hasn’t influenced your buying decision, nor should it rationally influence anybody else’s unless the rig is being used for one specific purpose, and that isn’t limited to just ‘gaming’.

So your ‘cheap junk’ 6800XT OC is demonstrably better overall than the (cheap :thinking:NVidia option) GPU the person imparting these wise words of “AMD junk” wisdom actually has. So we have a clear case of do as I say, not as I do. That’s funny.

Add on the fact that they use an old gen I5 mid range CPU , and things start to become a lot clearer. Your CPU is vastly superior, GPU is the same, yet you bought junk. Right oh.

You know what performance you can get in other titles as you listed your Cyberpunk stats. You however, like a good selection of genuine users here on this forum including RTX 3080/3090 ones, aren’t seeing the performance you legitimately should be in this sim. I don’t see the juvenile retorts being thrown at those high end NVidia card users though.

Whatever the real issues are between this sim and certain current gen high end components (and that includes both AMD and NVidia), it’s blatantly obvious that it isn’t down to them being junk.

1 Like

Thnx for sharing this :slight_smile: yee, posting “Dont buy amd junk” wasn`t excactly the answer i was looking for to solve my problems :rofl: :rofl: i see your rdrthread is at 7.5ms. Mine was at 46ms when screenshot was taken, so there are definitly som rendering issues with the terrainLOD… And not having any problems in any other game, tells me that this is most likley msfs, and perhaps not the driver itself, as some nvidia users have to turn off msaa in the controlpanel to regain frames. thats not how you fix game engine problems :stuck_out_tongue:

LNTJF, What powersupply do you use?

this might be helpfull

Solved: Rx 6800 low fps and gpu usage - AMD Community

1 Like

If the ppl complaining about my hardware can absolutly crush my 80fps in Cyberpunk with 0-5 year old hardware all maxed out in 3440x1440, ill listen to the critics, if not, then ill call this a game/driver bug and move on :stuck_out_tongue:

Im just using that game for reference, since it is a pretty demanding title in terms of hardware

1 Like

Did you reinstall MSFS after swapping GPU`s?

1 Like

Thnx for the link :slight_smile: i appreciate you taking the time trying to help me. Ive allready tried to turn sam on and off… no difference in performance

When i built this computer, i wiped the whole hard drive… so everything is freshly installed… no old traces of intel chipset or nvidia drivers are present on the drive

Ok… so that`s ruled out…

Here`s a YT vid of a guy testing MSFS on almost the same hardware as you have…

(11) Microsoft Flight Simulator : RX 6800 XT + Ryzen 7 5800X - 1440p \ 4K Ultra Settings - YouTube

Afraid so :slight_smile: im on stable 2.3.1 in terms of gpu driver… tried the optional one, but no difference… im also on the latest chipset drivers, and the latest bios version

That video is from november 2020… interesting find though :thinking: There is no way i can replicate his game version, as i own the game digitally

But atleast your video will hopefully make those ppl saying AMD ■■■■!!! and NEED BETTER HARDWARE!!! shut up now :slight_smile: thnx for sharing

1 Like