3 CTD in one Sunday afternoon with zero mods loaded

A underpowered psu…yes, especially if overclocking. And there are cheap and nasty PSU’s out there as well. There are psu’s on the market which are absolute rubbish and will fry your PC.

The latest update improved stability for me, up until yesterday.

This morning flew a short flight from KSAN to KCMA in the Baron without problems.

But yesterday… three CTD events in a row, at the same spot on the map. I’m beginning to think there are “hot spots” in the scenery that cause these crashes. My frame rates have averaged just under 60 fps, even when flying in dense Class B airspace near (or landing at) large international airports like KSAN, KLAX, or KSFO. No CTD events, or even stutters to report. Overall pretty smooth flying.

I gave up yesterday, but - as mentioned - this morning has been smooth sailing… er, flying… so far. :slight_smile:

This is a true statement. I had an old PSU fry and take out a motherboard last year. It wasn’t cheap, just old.

However, if your computer runs everything else just fine - even highly demanding software like Adobe Audition or Premiere, or other simulators like Train Sim World - why would you go chasing hardware to solve a very specific problem that no other software has on your computer?

This is a classic case of Occam’s razor: if all other software runs fine, it is MSFS causing the problem, not a bad piece of kit.

1 Like

Ok this is probably the fourth or fifth time I have said this but I distinctly remember as far back as the early nineties the whole streaming graphics on the fly for gaming being tried and given up on for various reasons. In fact its the first thing that came to my mind when I started reading about this sim prior to release.

Yes we have come a long way since then but perhaps not far enough and it could vary well be that the servers are at the root of some if not all of these performance problems. Might explain why not all are effected.

Guys,i sadly don’t remember where i saw it and by whom,but that dude is a life saver (until now that is😎)
I did what he said and CTDS are long gone for today.
Do a clean visual drivers uninstall with DDU and then install only the drivers you want to (either AMD or Invidia)
I did it and it works.

I think you may be right. Coupled with the complexity of the software, it’s a wonder it works at all! :slight_smile:

I’ll check my bios.

Cooling seems fine - I’ve a Meshify C case with 4 case fans. CPU temps are 50-60C, GPU gets a bit warm but sits at 70-75C, so tolerable (should be).

Interesting to note about Seattle area. 2 of 6 crashes on Sunday (the 3 in the subject is after I removed the small handful of basic mods - G36 and G1000) occurred when loading into SeaTac (the game didn’t make it past the loading screen), 1 was flying over Bellevue in approach into SeaTac when using the drone cam, and another was flicking the external camera 90° right in a remote area.

Final one was on approach to Portland Int.

A couple of those were when the PC was under strain (drone cam whizzing back to the plane and flicking the external camera 90° right).

I saw that this morning, that some people are experiencing low fps on Doom, etc. I will try removing this :+1:

All three of my CTD events yesterday happened in the same spot in the Salinas Valley, right about KKIC.

I’ve since flown (today) from four different airports, all far south of that area without any issues. Same aircraft, no changes to anything.

It’s looking more and more as though this is location related…

I am constantly having CTDs in and around the Southern France since WU IV.

Me, who have never had any CTDs since day one back in past August up until WU IV.

I have also experience several CTD’s since the latest update, and all seems to be location related.

Toronto for me. If I am flying around there I will get random CTDs. I also get a CTD when I try to set the pilot VFR view in the Carenado Mooney (Ctl+F10)

Turn off overclocks.
Run 457.30 NVIDIA driver.
Delete and create new rolling cache.
If still crashing view event viewer crash log and google your problem.
Otherwise delete and go back to COD/P3D/Xplane.

Last night I flew Portland International to Crescent City with the exact same setup as my first post.

Zero crashes.

The mysteries of life. Fair to say it was a pleasant flight.

1 Like

You may want to erase your personal data, they could be corrupted (no worries, the relevant ones are saved online).
This has solved many issues for me here. Unfortunately, it also meant a complete reinstall of the game. But at least I can play.

2 CTDs so far on final into KSFO.

It looks like a memory leak or something is going on?? In the background I had a single Chrome tab open, playing music from the BBC’s website and the tab ALSO ‘crashed’ gracefully, with a Chrome “Oh Snap, something went wrong! Out of memory!”

Is there a memory leak in the game perhaps?? Any way to troubleshoot this further? I have 16GB installed, which should be sufficient…

This in Event Viewer: Windows successfully diagnosed a low virtual memory condition. The following programs consumed the most virtual memory: FlightSimulator.exe (17528) consumed 35705106432 bytes.

35GB of virtual memory consumed :-o

I’m going to increase pagefile size as per this thread and see if this magically solves… everything. Wish me luck.

After increasing pagefile size on both C and D drive I have been able to land at KSFO without the game crashing. Fingers crossed this is the solution to all my CTDs, in which case this realllllllly needs to be more widely known. Phew!!!

Glad to see you had success with it finally. Not sure on the memory leak issue personally. I can say that I always run music from a web source AND usually some live ATC going at the same time. And I run the default page file size on my PC because I have not seen a real need for changing it yet. Now I did have a CTD the other day while flying the FBW DEV mode A320. I took the same flight again using the stock A320 and completed the flight with no issue, so I attribute that CTD to the FBW 320. I expect that to happen on occasion with DEV or EXP FBW 320 though.

I had the same issue yesterday. Never have CTDs and it was a flight out of Juliana. Anyways, froze and crashed just after takeoff and the start of my turn. Today, no issue. The difference, I turned off all multiplayer. I think there’s an issue with ai aircraft and multiplayer aircraft so I decided to forgo it until things are fixed. It seems to run much smoother. Not perfect but close.

Unfortunately, I don’t count the number of times anymore, or I crossed my fingers thinking that I had “maybe” found THE solution.
I believed it, after having flown for 15 hours without CTD. But at the 16th hour …

1 Like