40% of users experiencing CTDs

No one is claiming there are no issues. In fact I clearly stated they are making fixes in a controlled manner, and that is making progress towards stabilization. Everyone agrees the controlled approach is much better than the hotfix approach. And yet, people still want immediate turn around but have it controlled. It doesn’t work that way. Fixes take as long as they take, and they need to be tested before release to make sure it doesn’t break things.

So if I am defending anything, it’s that I am defending the approach that seems to be working instead of rushing out fixes every few days. That approach has been seen as a disaster. I’m sorry your particular issue is taking a while, but it will be addressed. It’s just nit going to be yesterday or even tomorrow.

2 Likes

Since SU5 ,
With Saitek Proflight sytem and switch panel at least 2 out of 3 flights caused CTD
Now with Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo as a replacement, after 40 hours of flight i never have problem with ctd
Maybe hardware issue?

Yes, they do get some sort of CTD info, but I’m not sure how full, how often and how accurate.

For example, when I have a crash, it often doesn’t try to switch me into safe mode when I restart. This suggests to me it does not always catch the crash at my end, and so would have limited information about my environment at the time, for example. Also, due to privacy concerns I’m not sure if they are allowed to take sufficient information about my system without asking my permission each time. For me, when a CTD happens it happens very fast, with no sign of activity from the sim such as you get when you close normally.

They can certainly pick up when the request for scenery from the server stops abruptly, without some sort of sign-out message. From their comments it looks like they can pick up the fact that third party software of some sort is being used at the time of the crash, perhaps because of interaction with the data requests, but I’ve never seen a comment from them saying a particular mod is at fault, other than when it’s been pointed out by simmers. And they’re still asking us to fill out Zendesk reports.

So I’m not convinced they really have much of a handle on this.

1 Like

Had a chat with another user earlier this year and after I advised to upgrade his usb drivers ( he was like 1,5 years behind) his system turned more stable with these peripherals.

I don’t think my account can do polls here yet. That’s why I made one on Reddit. I figured that although it wouldn’t be 100% accurate, it would at least give a rough idea of how prevalent the issue is.

Interestingly, the latest official poll here on the forum only had 1700 voters and the results were hidden. I would love to see an official poll on CTDs with transparent results. I wouldn’t be surprised if it mirrored the Reddit poll. In fact, I would bet the farm on it.

Careful now dear fellow. Farms are not exactly cheap these days.

If really 40% would suffer regular CTDs (not the incidental one), this forum would be a very different place. Does all the info in this post about millions of active simmers, a fraction being in this forum and of those (esp. After SU6) the most being quite to very satisfied even get to you? The point is that you are generalizing your experience to the whole community on the basis of a seriously flawed experiment.

Try counting the members in this post. Who would have voted what in your poll. My very unscientific hunch tells me less than 40%

1 Like

From any methodological perspective this kind of poll (there or here) is meaningless to draw any conclusion, including on the reliability of Asobo core simulation code. The 40% figure doesn’t make any sense. It is as worthy as the « polls » on the daily newspaper asking readers for their opinion on the world affairs :sweat_smile:

CTD do occur of course and reading forums and trying to help people, the empirical conclusion is that a minority of them comes from Asobo’s code (eg the early default avionics ) but that most are user induced, by addons or hardware.

1 Like

If that were true, how do you explain XBox users being affected just as badly by CTDs. :thinking:

Just as badly means nothing if we don’t know the facts.
For one thing it could mean that within the zillions of square miles of rendered world there are maybe ten places that are acting like bermuda triangles. Everyone wants to fly there like bees on honey. And indeed, boom.
This is a landscape bug which will crash pc and xbox.
There might be more examples of cross platform issues (because indeed there are issues in this mindbogglingly complex warehouse of software code).
The question that we need to ask ourselves is: is it flyable enough to have some serious fun?
I guess that such a question will render a remarkable positive outlook on the sim as a whole, which in itself is a remarkable achievement in the light of the mentioned complexity.
Cheers!

1 Like

The sim is great fun, right up until the point it crashes to desktop.

1 Like

I am in the 60%. I dont hack config files. My PC is not full of rubbish software. I have not massively overclocked my PC. I dont have tons of third party addons. Just a couple.

That seems to work for me.

1 Like

My conclusion comes from observing the PC user base. When you try to help a PC fellow simmer who has CTD you almost always come to an issue linked to an addon or hardware (USb connection for instance).

I do not know the technical side and not very interested by the Xbox world . One observation though. Lionel Fuentes explained in a video how they « optimized » like crazy the PC code to fit in the operational 6 gb of the Xbox S. Unkind people would say that they shoehorned the PC code in the S box. And may explain that box users have problems. Also, box users have access to addons on tbe market place which updating is erratic and have connections to peripherals.

At this point I feel I should disclose that I am an actuary and, as such, feel that I can speak with some reasonable authority on statistics and other related matters.

Having given this problem the thought you requested, I have concluded that the fact that your biased poll “only managed to garner 40%” tells me that the true number is overwhelmingly likely to be below this and highly likely to be very significantly below this - and that is even taking into account the inherent wooliness of the question which opens up a YES answer to anyone who has had any CTD at any time whilst using MSFS in the last 15 months - even if that was 14.9 months ago.

Your poll has more holes in it than a cheese grater.

6 Likes

For the first year I had absolutely nothing in my community folder and experienced no CTD at all.
Lately I have the h145, g3000, and some airports, 10-12 in all and now i get then sometimes but nor often.

who cares if it is 40%, 70% or 20% ?

Point is that it is happening too much for a triple A game in 2021.
Asobo have themselves stated that fixing CTDs are their nr1 priority and that its something they are working on continously. They would not be doing that if it was not on their end. Ive been a gamer my entire life and played more games than any human should, and I never seen a game this unstable in my lifetime.
Yes some issues are caused by mods and some arent. Its not that difficult to understand.
Asobo is on it, as they should be!
Personally I wish they would use more human resources on fixing issues rather than creating more pretty scenery and pleasing xbox-gamers (race mod).

Its not good when the advices for fixing issues are re-installing the game or re-installing your windows.
And the users are left to themselves troubleshooting all these issues with zero word from Asobo.
Myself I have installed the game over for a reason that turned out being a Asobo issue.

Why are there no log that explains what causes the crash? That would help!

3 Likes

Well, millions that don’t report them perhaps. The forum doesn’t have millions of members, for one thing. If you look at the forum badges, and we look at the most basic forum badge you can get we have a number:

That’s for forum access, far short of the millions you quote. But fair point, if you are reporting them through proper channels that would be Zendesk, which could be a separate account? I can log in Zendesk with my MS account, and a different account. Both show different tickets logged. I’m not 100% certain that it is the same as this forum account.

But in any case it would be fair to assume that of those 93092 forum users, an even smaller subset will have created a Zendesk account for logging tickets.

1 Like

Having initially bought, installed and played Flight Sim on my Dell XPS15 9500 late October 2021, after 2 main updates, the first having issues with the update from store which I over came by following a suggested fix for the store issue. This seemed to work ok but I then discovered after the update that all aircraft had a pink leading edge and the view from inside the cockpit was just pink, no outside detail could be seen at all from inside the cockpit. Now the sim just crashes after checking for updates. Its running 1.20.6.0.
Seems to be on going issues most of the time.
I originally did a complete reinstall which didn’t solve anything.

Any known fixes for this?

TIA
Kevin

Exactly, and this has been the case with previous debates about how prevalent CTDs are, before you get to the variety of causes and the resulting challenge of fixing them.

I haven’t flown them in a while, but I used to fly the Arrows all the time, and suffered badly from CTD’s. Almost every other flight it seemed. One suspect for me was that I had both the 530, and 750 modded GPS’s, both of which are supported on the Arrow. The advice I believe was not to switch between them.

One change I made was to only have one of those mods active at one time, which could be a pain if I wanted the 750 Arrow on one flight, then the 530 BN2 Islander on another. I had to stop the sim, change the links to the mods, then relaunch , but that did help.

The other change I made, months back, was to completely disable terrain caching.

I’ve been flying the NXi Caravan a lot recently, and I’ve not had a single inflight crash since SU6 released, and have taken part in many group flights without issue as well. Even SU5 was stable in that respect, despite its other problems.

Playing on Xbox Series X and i mostly fly airliners / long-haul flights
at release i had CTDs on nearly every second flight (!!)
this would be no problem if FS2020 would be a game where you can save and load your game/flight without any problems (you know its not possible since elementar data input etc is missing when loading a saved flight (fmc/mcdu/ifr flightplan etc)

with the current SU, the CTDs have become less frequently (now its maybe every 3rd or 4th flight when i get a CTD, still a shame)

Asobo: “we have a ZERO-CTD philosophy!”

also Asobo:
“how many CTDs do you want your players who payed for you game have?”
“Yes.”

honestly Asobo, your flightsim is a beautiful game, but its very sad that it is by far the most unstable game i ever had to play on console, way worse than cyberpunk

the amount of CTDs should be your NO.1 Priority, not world updates, not reno air races etc

2 Likes