471.96 driver cured my CTDs

For any Nvidia users… not sure if this is old news, but after trying literally everything suggested online and failing to cure my repeated CTDs, I believe I have found the cure to my issue.

I had tried two recent GPU drivers with no success and was thinking about rolling back to an older version. However, I spotted 471.96 and thought I’d give it a go.

I now appear to have 100% stability, even if I do stupid things mid flight. Thought I’d share in the hope it might help someone else…

1 Like

Happy for you.
I doubt that it will be a solution for everybody, but my latest test shows that since SU5 the venerable 457.30 no longer has any advantage on my system.

Thanks for the HU - downloading now.

Moved to Self-Service, pc

I wonder if it is not the new driver necessarily that cured the CTD though but rather if a reinstall of the drivers in general that cured it? Never the less, glad you’re not crashing to desktop!

I have had a couple of CTDs and I’m running this driver also…

Interesting, perhaps try reinstalling the drivers then? It may be worth a shot to look in event viewer at the times of these CTDs to see if any errors coincide with graphics driver errors and not .dll files associated with .Net. I am and have been running Nvidia Graphics drivers version 466.11 and have not once got a CTD with graphics drivers errors of any kind. And that is a pretty significant step back from 471.96. I have crashed to desktop in the past because of mods though, particularly the FBW mod but the current dev version seems stable now.

I don’t believe my ‘cure’ was just due to a driver install per se, as I had unsuccessfully tried several drivers before (always using DDU in safe mode). I think there’s something about 471.96 that helped me.

Just downloading WU6 so I expect it all to go wrong again…

1 Like

Yep, depending on your hardware it may very well be, a certain hardware combination perhaps. I mean, reading the full release notes for the 471.96 is there anything listed in there regarding support or enhancement for MSFS? Hopefully WU6 don’t give you any issues. I still can’t get the update on my end here. Will wait an hour or so and try again.

my mid flight CTDs stopped when i rolled back to a older driver 466.77 not updated since…ROFL! not touching nothing!!! lol

1 Like

No mention of MSFS. Updates seem to be directed at improving stability in laptops :laughing:
WU6 not wanting to download all the way so still don’t know if that will wreck things…

1 Like

me too since updated the newest driver 471.96 i have a CTD.

Protokollname: Application
Quelle: Application Error
Datum: 08.09.2021 07:19:39
Ereignis-ID: 1000
Aufgabenkategorie:(100)
Ebene: Fehler
Schlüsselwörter:Klassisch
Benutzer: Nicht zutreffend
Computer: OM-PC
Beschreibung:
Name der fehlerhaften Anwendung: FlightSimulator.exe, Version: 0.0.0.0, Zeitstempel: 0x00000000
Name des fehlerhaften Moduls: FlightSimulator.exe, Version: 0.0.0.0, Zeitstempel: 0x00000000
Ausnahmecode: 0xc0000005
Fehleroffset: 0x0000000001230ef6
ID des fehlerhaften Prozesses: 0x2624
Startzeit der fehlerhaften Anwendung: 0x01d7a4677aa9bd6f
Pfad der fehlerhaften Anwendung: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.19.8.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Pfad des fehlerhaften Moduls: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.19.8.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Berichtskennung: 51d420cc-68fb-46d8-82ea-f1eb1d133615
Vollständiger Name des fehlerhaften Pakets: Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.19.8.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Anwendungs-ID, die relativ zum fehlerhaften Paket ist: App
Ereignis-XML:

0x80000000000000

Application
OM-PC

FlightSimulator.exe
FlightSimulator.exe
c0000005
0000000001230ef6
01d7a4677aa9bd6f
C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.19.8.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.19.8.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
51d420cc-68fb-46d8-82ea-f1eb1d133615
Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.19.8.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
App

Same Probleme here…CTD during downloading the WU6 in the Marketplace…CTD or sometimes freezing the sim

1 Like

Can you clear out all the events in event viewer, then reboot your PC, then run the sim and when it crashes to desktop make note of all the events in event viewer at the time of the crash? Surely there will be more than the one event you posted.

Do you have other games that crash as well?

I can confirm.

For some reason I started to get crashes in FS with my 3080 in spring/early summer this year.

The only solution was to select „debug mode“ in the Nvidia Control Panel to set card clock settings to factory values.

With this latest driver all issues seem suddenly to be gone. My card even overclocks now to 2025-2040 mhz when it wants to (boost clock per default is 1965 I believe).

All runs stable.

The only down side I monitor since the same time of period: AA is bad… tight lines far away close to each other do flicker or create a moire effect. Especially seen on buildings far away

Yeah the TAA needs enhanced for sure or even just some variables exposed that we can then edit in the User config or even in the game settings. TAA is pretty robust in terms of configurability. I stay away from the overclocking all together. But I have an FTW version graphics card from EVGA which is factory overclocked so I then just use EVGA precision and select that Boost Lock Feature witch prevents the card from down-clocking and perhaps increases stability.

Quick update following World Update 6. I did start getting CTDs again. This was possibly due to the offscreen terrain pre-caching (which I have on Ultra) working my 2080TI too hard. Anyway, I seem to have cured it by under-volting the card. I have it locked at 925 mv which gives me a locked frequency of 1830 MHz and (it seems) to be back to 100% stability.

1 Like

I know just enough about drivers to update them using Windows 10 “Update and Security” and/or “Device Manager”.
Reading this and other Nvidia driver posts, I looked for the version in my Laptop with a RTX 3070. I find it is a 27.21.14.6280 from 6/9/2021 and see no indication of a newer version available. Plus, that numbering format doesn’t even match that of the 471.96 or 457.30 being discussed???

FYI, I have been getting CTDs lately for the first time since I started using MSFS almost a year ago.

If you go here

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

you can get the latest driver direct from Nvidia. I don’t have laptop with an NVidia card, but I’ve heard people complain that the Windows update route does not always give them the latest driver.

1 Like