7800X3D Performance reviews for MSFS

Reviews of the new CPU are starting to show up.
MSFS included here:

Techtesters in English:

Peperaio Hardware, not in English:

Tom’s Hardware:

Paul’s Hardware:

Tweakers.net offers more detailed MSFS data, not in English, though. Lower numbers across the board.

Digital foundry:

PCGH Redaktion:

Bonus, my favorite reviewer: Level1Techs (not MSFS specific).

8 Likes

I just read trough some tests and it looks very promising. Lets see what the streetprice will be. This seems to be the absolut best CPU for games only on the market for a while. Good that i waited with ordering the 7950X3D.

Heads up for buyers:
AMD and also reviewer sites recommen a FRESH WINDOWS INSTALL for this CPU, keep that in mind!

4 Likes

It seems to be the best option for this generation. The rest of the money you can just save and get the next generation (8800x3d?) when it’s available and if it worths the upgrade.

It’s for these reasons that I wish there was a benchmark tool built into the sim. It would help standardize these results.

We asked for it, hopefully we’ll see it sooner rather than later: Built in Benchmark

7 Likes

Really, fresh install even if coming from another 7000x? What’s the reasoning there? Do you have a link that explains it? Thanks!

EDIT: This should only apply when coming from a previous double CCD chip

GamersNexus had an issue by just swapping the CPU. Reinstalling windows fixed the issue. Something to do with 7950X3D drivers interfering.

The Gamers Nexus video does explain the issue, but sounds like it’s not likely one most users will encounter. Basically the way Windows handles the dual CCD scheduling is unique to the 7900/7950x3d’s, and they had to revert some settings to test the 7800x3d. The problem was that even after reverting everything, something still wasn’t working quite right and applying some dual CCD logic to the 7800x3d that hurt performance. Apparently only a Windows install would fix this, but what regular user is going to go from a 7900/7950x3d to the 7800x3d?

Hm interesting how at times the 7800 is the fastest but sometimes the 7950 takes the crown and even the 7900 is faster in one test.
I guess it comes down to if the scenario that has been tested is 100% the same in every detail, between swapping CPUs, which I believe is not the case as MSFS does not offer a benchmark tool.

I think that advice only applies if you’ve previously had a 7900X3D or 7950X3D installed as many of the reviewers may of had.

For MSFS the 7950X3D is the better choice imo. Not if you are playing a vanilla sim, but if you are like me and fly on Vatsim, with Volanta, and enjoy to watch the occasional stream whilst flying, the 7800X3D is not for you. All the programms you have open in the backgroung (VatSpy, vPilot, Volanta, Chrome, etc.) deduct performance from the Sim and 8 cores are just no enough for all those programmes. The 7950X3D will still have the sim runnning on those 8 VCache cores, whil other programmes use the otherwise parked one. (the 7800X3D is like my 5800X3D, the extra programmes just take away core space that the sim could use, I lose about 30% FPS with all the programmes open that I need to fly)

So my decision is clear and has been set in stone weeks ago: I am going with the 7950X3D no matter what. The only problem now is that I have not able to get one since it launched, even though I checked every day. They have been sold out everywhere.

5 Likes

We, as flightsimmers, have a very niche usecase and no reviewer will prob ever test what we need tested: running other programmes while gaming. I would bet a lot of money that the 7950X3D would top every chart. But like I said, very niche usecase so no one is likely to test it.

2 Likes

Totally agree that the 7950 is the ultimate choice if you have multiple background tasks running while flying. But it’s so expensive that I consider getting the 7900 instead, depending on how far its price is going to drop in the coming weeks.

1 Like

Sure, totally understandable. Keep in mind though that with the 7900X3D you will basically oly have a 6 core CPU for the sim.

1 Like

Yep, realized this just after my last post. Clearly a reinstall is not necessary if you are going from single CCD to single CCD. The original post was way too generalist.

The question one then needs to ask is if it’s worth the extra $250 (assuming MSRP) for that potential extra performance. The sim doesn’t load up the entire processor at it is, so a player would be able to run some extra programs with little to no performance hit already. Even if there is an appreciable performance loss, would it even be noticeable? Above 60 fps, the sim looks almost fluid in performance. Anything over 90fps and I can’t notice any additional smoothness in motion.

You might be able to justify the extra price, but I think most people won’t be able to unless they just have money to burn. That $250 could be put to a lot better use in my opinion.

2 Likes

The following video is a good explanation of the core parking concept for the latest generation AMD CPUs.
Anyone who has or is considering the 7950x3D/7900x3D should watch this, imho.

2 Likes

Which is in itself not really a problem. Flying with a 7900X3D here now since beginning of march. Works nice :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not only that, but the higher end chips will consume more power.
Assuming the CPU is kept 5 years and depending on usage pattern and location, the total cost of owning 7800X3D could be 200 to 400 dollars less in power bills at the end, at minimum. That’s in addition to the difference in MSRP.
Assuming the performance is nearly identical to the other chips, it’s a no brainer for an MSFS gaming rig only.

If the system is intended for other uses, it’s a different story.

Just scored my 7800x3d…will be putting new build together today. Hopefully it lives up to these test results :grin: