7950x3d and rtx4090 - not getting expected performance

with the other monitor it looked very promising on the home screen

but when I loaded into KLAX

That’s normal FPS for this airport. I do not even get 35 fps there and started to save my time optimizing when there is nothing to optimize

yeah, it is very heavy at KLAX inibuilds.
after work I’ll do more extensive tests and see what happens away from that airport, will be interesting if the monitor change has any impact on VR, wonder if it is possible that VR was being limited by the 60fps limit on my other monitor.

In order to assess whether or not OP’s numbers are to be expected, here are numbers from an online review. Could be used as a baseline for comparison purposes.

Test conditions: PMDG 737 sitting at gate 322 @Heathrow, DX11 TAA, same CPU/GPU/RAM as OP, B650 motherboard, Nvidia Studio 528.49 drivers, ultra details.
Live traffic disabled. 20/03/2023 - 11am, so daylight conditions, with light clouds.
No companion apps or add-ons. No VR this is in 2D, in 4K. Measured with CapFrameX.

FPS reading, external view of the plane sitting at the gate:

FPS reading of the plane in flight:

2 Likes

are those results on a 4k monitor?

Edit: I wonder also is that the default heathrow or an add on like inibuilds? I’ll try that airport later to get a more direct comparison. Would also be good to know the TLOD for comparison.

Yes this is 4K, sorry forgot to mention that. TLOD is not mentioned in the listed test conditions I’ve seen, I think it’s safe to assume it is the default Ultra setting.
I believe this is vanilla EGLL (London Heathrow) selected in the game as per the following screenshot from the review itself:
Notice the drivers are Nvidia Studio, which the reviewer is praising. Apparently he initially installed them because he had issues using Adobe Premiere with the Game Ready drivers.

External view of the plane where the FPS was measured at gate 322:

1 Like

on the runway at heathrow DX11 TAA
TLOD 400

TLOD 200

TLOD 100

It"s getting closer. The difference could be explained by different settings, for instance live traffic disabled on the review. The plane they use is more complex though, so there’s that.
The closer your test is to the review conditions, the easier it is to tell the difference.

In any case, if your monitor is set to 60hz, FPS will top at 60. <= strike that, new monitor with much higher specs.

1 Like

I hate to say it, but I think you might of gotten a bad CPU. There’s just no way you can be getting only 40 fps especially on a GA plane.

In KLAX I don’t go under 75 fps while on runway with engines running. That’s with Fenix A320 and Ultra settings and TLOD at 205. AI traffic off.

are you using inibuilds KLAX? I can try remove it and test in default KLAX.

Edit:I’m using only multi player traffic no AI traffic and this monitor is not limited to 60, on home screen seeing 139 FPS

I just tried removing inibuilds and using default KLAX

DX11 Ultra preset with no overrides (TLOD 200)

seems like I’m back to neither GPU or CPU working hard

OK I am going to advise something I refrained from doing so far.

Frankly if I were in your shoes, at this point I would:

Then measure FPS in the same vanilla conditions as the review above, without any add on or any companion app installed, with just one 4k monitor plugged in the GPU.

Check if the results are close those shown above:

• 67,8 avg at EGLL
  • 107 avg in flight

If the results are consistent with the review then I would proceed with:

If the results are not consistent with the review and not satisfactory, I would consider an RMA.

1 Like

hello, are you using multi screen ? that is enought imo to explain the differences

I’m using a secondary monitor for other apps but not using multi screen in the sim.

1 Like

just got my highest score on 3dmark so far, still just ever so slightly lower than average for this hardware.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D​,ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. ROG STRIX X670E-E GAMING WIFI?

Looking at your specs and having two sticks of 6000MHz ram, I would double check what the actual speed being used is. Simply turning on XPO may not mean they are running at full speed and can indicate a hardware problem. I would also try running it with one stick, and swapping stick positions (make sure to note/mark which one is where initially) to see if that changes anything. AM5 seems finicky when it comes to memory.

It does seem like sometimes when I reboot I get better or worse performance rather than it always being consistent, and it takes a long time to boot like it is training the memory every time.

I will look to see if I can add memory speed to the overlay. Running cinebench again now.

Yes. I’m also using iniscene KLAX.

1 Like

I think CPU-Z has a memory tab to show it without running the sim or overlay. Memory speed is a static value that doesn’t change based on load.

1 Like

latest cinebench
cinebench20230407

and am I understanding this screenshot from hwinfo? does it say my memory is running only at 3000?