7950x3d and rtx4090 - not getting expected performance

For comparison purposes. Review published on March 23rd, 2023.
In the screenshot above, the difference between the old and new measurements is the chipset drivers.

The single threaded result with the latest drivers is 26% higher than OP’s latest run.
Multi is 6% higher.

The raw clock rate of DDR memory is half the rated speed, but the doubling of the data processing per clock cycle effectively doubles the speed. So a 3000MHz raw clock speed would make sense for a 6000MHz rated stick. I’ve also seen tech channels starting to refer to the rated speeds as megatransfers per second, which I guess is the more technically correct phrasing.

What is throwing me is your screenshot shows 64 GB memory, but your initial post said you had 32 GB (2x16). Did I miss a change somewhere in the discussion?

yes, when I got the machine it had only 32 GB and the memory was not optimized for AMD, so i ordered a new 64 GB GSkill Trident and enabled expo 1

Gotcha. I would still try swapping sticks around and only running one at a time just to rule that out, because that is very similar to @Baracus250 problem, and he got acceptable performance with only one 32 GB stick when testing.

MSI MPG X670E CARBON is the mobo I got coming. We’ll see how it does.

@kido007dz did I understand the comment to you on the thread about 7800X3d performance, is he saying we should expect to get frame limited long before the cpu reaches 100% utilization? Does that mean the 50-70% utilization I’m seeing is to be expected?

If this is the comment about LaGuardia, there was mention of an overall CPU utilization. So if you have a 16 cores CPU you can have 30% overall CPU utilization, and at the same time the main thread, the core that MSFS uses most can approach 100%, in which case you are CPU limited.
You can also be GPU limited, in some cases.
In some cases, one can be thermal limited: if cooling is not efficient, CPU can throttle due to high temperatures.
That’s why when troubleshooting, watching both RTSS data and the MSFS dev tool helps to have an understanding of the situation.

1 Like

Good board, congratulations. If was on my shortlist as well.
For my virtualization setup, very peculiar needs, it will be either the Asrock Taichi or the Asus Proart :wink:

did a cmos reset and tested again at inbuilds KLAX
TAA Ultra DX11

home screen

runway

away from the airport but still heavy pg

Is DLSS Frame Generation supposed to be greyed out for DX11?

here is DLSS DLAA

FG requires DX12.

here is a test with one of the memory sticks removed, I’ll try swapping the other stick next

Can you try VSync off, and post your Windows advanced display settings?

advanced display settings example

the other stick performs about the same.
turned off VSync in NVCP, didn’t notice any change but kept it off.

1 Like

What?

No! No! No!

Test duration - 2x10 sec :rofl:

testing in VR with Ultra this evening, Varjo Aero at 39ppd. dx11 DLSS DLAA
If I turn down the TLOD and OLD I can see it is gpu bound, but when they are at 200 it seems like it is going back and forth from gpu bound to limited by main thread.
the gpu looks like it is working hard
the cpu doesn’t look like it is working hard and frame times are long

@joeaudacious
For testing purpose turn of HAGS, Game mode, Xbox game bar, Core isolation. Restart PC

1 Like

Thank you for pointing that out. But you do not need to use large fonts, normal fonts would suffice.

The fact remains that the result of the Proline test is consistent with other reviews such as the one here, which is not limited to 10s:

The difference being the above does not test 4K, only 1080p and 1440p. Also EGLL. Duration : 2mn46.

My suggestion is to use a baseline for comparison, if you have another one in mind, feel free to share. OP is running the sim in 4K.

Also I fail to grasp how the duration is relevant when we are just trying to assess whether the same result can be achieved, in the same conditions.

Hope it works :slight_smile:

HAGS off Game Mode off, Gamebar off, Core Isolation, turned off driver monitoring, everything else was already off.
stuttery and image quality not as good as it was.

The above snapshot was used by @joeaudacious a few posts up and I just noticed something funny. Looking at the upper left hand side where it lists the L1, L2, and L3 cache amounts. L1 and L2 cache are correct for the 7950x3D, however, the L3 cache indicates only 64M and it should be 128M.

Perhaps another tool such as CPUID can be used to double check as perhaps HWiNFO64 has not been updated yet to support the 7950x3D.

does this look any better?
cpuz20230408

another question

My machine came with AMD chipset driver 5.02.19.2221 which is the latest one available from AMD website. I’ve re-installed it to make sure they installed all the needed things for cache parking. However, I notice that version Asus makes available on the support page for this motherboard is 5.01.03.005. Is there any point in trying this slightly older version?