7950x3d Benchmarks for MSFS 2020

This is just not true as AMD has recently re-released these power plans and they are much improved. I have an AMD Ryzen 9 5900x and I use the AMD Ryzen high performance power plan. This plan prioritizes a high boost clock over saving power like in the Windows balanced plan. For example, I had minimized my browser and started Task Mgr and then took the screen shot below. As you can see, my cores/threads are not running crazy generating a lot of heat because of my power plan. As a matter of fact, the instant when I took the screen shot, the CPU speed of one of my cores boosted to 4.89GHz (see highlight). Thatā€™s pretty darn good for a processor thatā€™s specā€™d at 4.80Ghz max boost clock and just doing a simple screen shot!

Most importantly, I can notice a difference in MSFS with my 5900x boosting and maintaining higher GHz under stressful situations like dense airports/scenery. My temps are never more than ~75-80 degrees C being undervolted and air cooled - far less than the 90 degrees max thermal limit it would throttle back at.

1 Like

Pls see all of the AMD recommendations for the 7950x3D at the link below.

How To Set Up Your System with A New AMD Ryzenā„¢ 9 ā€¦ - AMD Community

Those extra power plans come in the latest Ryzen chipset drivers. This is the most current version on AMDā€™s web site for your Asus X670E-F motherboard:

Pretty sure thatā€™s what I installed yesterday (from the post below?) and those plans donā€™t show up:

This version?

You have the X670E motherboard, not the X670 board. I would recommend you reinstall the chipset drivers.

Oh! Could this be why it failed to boot today then?! It did boot OK after the restart after installing, but this fail was first time after a full shut down (overnight).

No, that executable contains drivers for multiple chipsets. Regardless, chipset drivers would not cause a boot failure.

1 Like

Agreed it would not cause the boot failure but itā€™s suspect for not having all the power plans installed. So installing the chipset drivers for the X670E would be recommended.

Agreed, itā€™s easy and worth a shot. Typically AMD will roll drivers for different chipsets in the same driver package. You can see the download location and file for both the X670/X670E is the exact same.

1 Like

Perhaps not all of them got installed the last time.

Dude I added that link to one of my answers to @Baracus250
I have a 7950x3d with all perfectly set up. Donā€™t need the same info. I was answering to a question related to Xbox Game Bar version.
About the power plan. CPU minimum and maximum % state in the power plan advance settings. Thatā€™s what I was referring to in my comment. But thatā€™s right, it seems that is not completely a simple template for all.
/processor-throttle-ac and /processor-throttle-dc are powercfg settings that do NOT show up in the advanced power settings. And they change the cpu clocks even with cpu states set at the same percentages.

I pre-ordered 7950x3d and Iā€™ve been waiting for 3 weeks. He should arrive next week. I think that for the 3800x3d it will be the same. You will have to be patientā€¦

Yep - sorry didnā€™t notice that embedded in the middle of your response up above. Typically I try to put links by themselves within a response but still my bad for missing it.

Great article and all that @Baracus250 needs to get him started.

Do you have a source for this change, as Iā€™m not finding it. Your 5900x could benefit from the high performance setting, but it prevents core parking needed to ensure gaming is only on the v-cache cores of the 7900/7950x3d chips. MSFS (and most games) favor the v-cache over clock speeds, as shown in some of the charts already referenced.

With my ASUS Rog Strix B650 board I am now on my FOURTH set of RAM chips from three different manufacturers (Kingston, G.Skill, Corsair) - two of which were EXPO optimised.

Three of those four sets would either not boot up at all, would only boot up with default settings (i.e 4800MHz), or be unstable (tested with MEMTest86+ and Prime95)

Three of those sets - incl the one I am currently using - are on the ASUS list of approved ā€œcompatibleā€ RAM chips.

The one I am currently using is a Kingston Fury Beast 5600 CL40 (Intel optimised).
This one seems to work.

Now I have only find a way to persuade the 7900X3D to boost beyond 5200 MHz.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info. Mine was stable for 3 solid days before this - that is the strange thing. Itā€™s SINCE I installed those chipset items that problem happened.

It did, I checked the log after and it said ā€œsuccessā€ for all of them.

Ah ok. Havenā€™t had trouble with the Chipset drivers AFAIK. I also had contacted ASUS Support and the sent me a link to a new Firmware as well. Havenā€™t hat a chance to test that yet though.

I believe theyā€™ve removed them for the latest Zen 4 processors - Iā€™ve got the latest chipset drivers installed and they donā€™t appear (x670 motherboard with 7900x3D).

A little update from me!

• It didnā€™t want to boot again this morning, but different behaviour. Small beep first, orange light on mobo (RAM problem?) and stuck, black screen.

• Called the vendor and they sent me instructions to reseat the RAM and reset CMOS. Did the reseating, first and booted and this time was stuck with red light on mobo (CPU?). Said might need to test each stick individually in ā€˜slot 2ā€™, and see which one may be a problem, but the red light suggested CPU problem - though it could still be ram triggering it.

• We did the reset CMOS (button on back of mobo with all power disconnected and peripherals out), this time it went to BIOS setup. All peripherals except mouse and KB unplugged.

• Set it to 6000 32-38-38-80

• Windows loaded OK. Downloaded and ran OCCT (stress test). Ran Memory test and after 17 seconds the whole system rebooted. Came back to windows fast, but with a countdown saying it hadnā€™t shut down properly and was gathering data and needs to reboot (automatically). After 2nd reboot it was on Windows recovery screen! I clicked Restart Now (not advanced recovery options) and desktop came back.

• Rebooted again and went straight to BIOS and lowered the Ram to 5600 40-40-40-80 (I think, not sure about the 2nd-4th numbers but first was defo 40!)

• Ran Memory test again (30 mins) no problems. So seems it is the ram speed causing problem? But the timings I posted upthread was better than this originally I think (and was ā€œstableā€ for 2 full days running)!

• Strangely, the UI for the memory test only showed like 48,800 odd as a value (not 64gb) but the slider was at 80% to test (not 100% on slider) so maybe that is why. In Window System Info it shows 64gb seen. The guy said to leave it at 80% for the test. EDIT: Re-ran test with slider at max (95%) and then it shows as 52864 MB which is still not 95% of 64Gb?

• Whilst in BIOS I found PBO and it is on Auto (didnā€™t change it - want it stable first!). Everything else untouched. I really donā€™t know what else I can change here but I think the timings are not ideal now - there was other frequency options below in the AI Tuning section but he said just use the top DOCP 1 (could not see EXPO) options. There was only 6000 / 5600 or 4800 there with some not great timings - the only 32 was 6000 in that drop down but that seems to bomb the stress test. The lower dropdown below has all the way from 2000Mhz up to over 12k but did not show timings - and then more options for advanced timing but I am not brave to go there!

• Now it seems to boot faster, but I am nervous to power down and reboot again :smiley: (this could be coz I see the boot devices since CMOS reset has only the C drive now. Before, it had 2 LAN entries below that, which I will never need?!)

• Checked GameBar in Store, and there WAS an update available. Now I am on 5.823.1271.0 but not run the sim since.

• Searched for my exact MOBO AMD Chipset drivers and downloaded but it seems like an OLDER package (called Version 5.01.03.005) than I put on yesterday, but the version numbers of each element inside are the same with ONE being older (AMD PPM Provisioning File Driver is 8.0.0.17 here, but yesterdays package was 8.0.0.19). unsure if I should install again this lot? Also it says to uninstall the others first but not sure how. EDIT: I see what I grabbed today was from Asus site. Found on AMD site and itā€™s 5.02.19.2221) and this is exactly what I installed yesterday so the -E motherboard variant seems to offer the same download package here.

• Main goal for this weekend is STABILITY - I donā€™t care about maximising perfomance yet. I have an event on Sunday that I need this all working for (Wilga Bush Race - all welcome to join :slight_smile: )

I would be very appreciative if someone could perhaps connect with me on Discord and do a voice call to talk me through potential BIOS settings to make things right :slight_smile:

2 Likes

AMD is still sh*t in RAM compatibility. You can check DDR5 is coming with Xmp compatible versions (they already have higher clocks and lower timmings) and AMD EXPO compatible versions.

Also, you have an even harder scenario in your case, overclocking 4 sticks. If you can, try using only 2. 32GB is more than enough. 32GB with better timmings and higher clocks is better than unstable 64GB.