7950x3d Benchmarks for MSFS 2020

Yeah I could definitely take 2 sticks out (for now at least) if it lets me run back at 6000 32.

But let me see how it goes (performance and stability wise) with this at 5600 40 timing. I can’t play until Friday now so it will have to wait hehe.

I guess when the drivers catch up I might be able to throw the other 2 sticks back in. Do you know if it’s the 2 slots nearest the CPU I need to leave in?

At this point it looks like you have an issue with your RAM that your vendor needs to fix. That very well may mean sending you 1 or more new sticks of RAM. Again, the vendor needs to take care of this along with getting all bios settings squared around.

To get you working in the interim, your vendor needs to either have you remove the bad stick(s) of memory or just find slower memory settings that will allow you to at least use the computer in a stable manner. From what you have indicated, none of your issues are software related.

With regards to your chipset drivers, keep the latest version from AMD (v5.02.19.2221) since you have verified they installed properly.

Gamebar software and PBO settings are good for now.

Again, if you paid good money to purchase a high end system your vendor should work with you and make it good.

Yes. Try two, see what happens.
Generally, it is easier to get higher memory speeds and lower latencies with fewer sticks.
There is a chance this ordeal would not have happened with 2x32Gb, although I understand this option is not offered by some PC vendors. Some of them only have 16gb modules in inventory.
One of the advantages of building a PC yourself, is you have more flexibility with the parts.

Why would core parking be required to ensure gaming is only on the v-cache cores of the x3D cpus? Turning on Windows Game Mode will enable Win 11 to manage the v-cache cores for gaming and the non-v-cache cores for other non-gaming tasks. All cores can and will be used as needed without parking.

From my understanding with these chips still being so new, Windows likely isn’t able to natively know what cores to use on what game. Call this speculation or an educated guess, but I’m thinking game mode only addresses how much attention is dedicated to the foreground game vs background processes, and works independently of the power profile. Running high performance apparently does not allow core parking, which could lead to running a game on the wrong cores and increase latency and/or generate extra heat that reduces clocks. Xbox Game Bar is probably used by the chipset drivers to detect gameplay and schedule cores accordingly. This may change and improve over time, but that’s the understanding I’m finding so far.

The reason it doesn’t matter for your processor and won’t matter for the 7800x3d is it only has one CCD, so there’s no scheduling concerns to worry about. It is what it is, whereas the 7900/7950x3d can be seen as something of a hybrid design.

1 Like

They have offered to send replacements but first need to be certain which ones (if any) are duff or if it was just the settings. Worries me that the red light on mobo was on once or twice though. But the stress test was pushing CPU 100% for 30 mins and was OK.

At the end of the day I might just buy 2x 32 sticks and ask for a refund of that Kingston stuff. They would do it I’m sure. They are good on the phone so far hehe

In your case, use the second and the fourth slots (counting from the CPU).

If you look on the motherboard (close to the slots) you will see the indications telling you what slots to use first being able to keep the dual channel active.

If this works, ask them if they can get you a 2 x 32GB kit instead.

1 Like

I was just watching a Jayz Two Cents video and he mentioned AM5 won’t boot if using mixed RAM kits. He was looking at a 128 GB video editing setup, using two 2x32 GB kits, and it was an offhand remark. I got to looking, and G.Skill does not offer a single 4x16 GB kit. That would mean your builder used two kits of RAM, and it does seem DDR5 in general is more sensitive to mixing kits. I also looked up the official RAM speeds of the 7950x3d in the full specs at https://www.amd.com/en/product/12741 and found this.

Screenshots_2023-03-16-12-22-10

Pretty sure you have a 4x1R (four sticks, single rank) setup, which has a lower official speed than running 2 sticks. I now suspect running a mixed set of RAM, plus trying to run full speed on all four is the source of your problem. I know even the two stick rating is less than the 6000 that it seems capable of, but the point I’m making with that reference is the general principle that 4 sticks will likely have stability issues without down clocking.

Definitely try running only two sticks. If that works, I would either try to get a refund on the extra sticks (try to make sure they are from the same kit), or try to exchange them for a 2x32 GB kit. When you try running two sticks, you use every other slot, not two adjacent slots. It doesn’t make a big difference which pair you use, but the mobo usually has them labeled as such, and the manual would say if there is a preferred two stick slot pairing.

OK thanks for that useful info. 3600 seems REALLY low though!?! At 5600 now it passed a stress test so maybe that is also fine.

What I still don’t get is why it was running perfectly for 2-3 days after I first got everything installed. I was flying for like 6 hours straight each day, some of it in heaviest conditions I could try to test things and apart from lower frame rate as shown, there was never a hint of being unstable. And on the first day it was switched on and downloading all the MSFS content for like 6 hours before I played.

Also what prompted me to be comfortable with going to the Kingston Fury Renegade is this review for the 7950X3D here where it says they are the Best Performance but expensive – but that report states 7200Mhz (!!) CL38, where mine is supposedly 6000 32. People earlier said that that stated Max is not a strict rule too. All very confusing I must say :frowning:

I took the sticks out to reseat today and I can see there are chips on both sides (and heatsinks) so maybe it is double? Or I misunderstand what you mean and it’s all internal lol

I will do that on Friday yep. So remove alternate sticks (1 and 3 I guess, as he said if I only run 1 stick to leave it in the SECOND slot from CPU but I will try and read off the manual or the PCB!). How would I make sure they are from the same kit? Serial numbers?

Thanks for your time (everyone!) :+1:

3600 is low indeed. Also, don’t bother about those max speed numbers from AMD, it’s just them saying “Well, if it doesn’t work, it’s not our fault, we never said it would be compatible”. You should always look for the compatibility list from the memmories manufacturers. The RAM manufacturers are the ones testing all their memmories with multiple CPUs and Motherboards.

For real world use, AMD themselves recommend 6000mhz:
AMD Confirms DDR5-6000 RAM Is The Sweet Spot For Ryzen 7000 CPUs | Tom’s Hardware (tomshardware.com)

At these speeds it’s unlikely you will ever need 64gb of ram for MSFS or any other game.

I know MSFS won’t really need it currently but I run a few other apps in the background, want to record gameplay footage and also will be doing some video editing / rendering and other application work (Photoshop / After Effects) on here, maybe whilst MSFS running on autopilot behind, so with this high end system I thought I should not skimp on “only” having 32gb. Maybe that was a mistake though — but yeah I can easily remove 2 sticks haha

As far as I know, AMD dumped their own power plans about 2 year ago and told people to use Balanced. Their own “AMD Balanced” are form the past and are deprecated.

1 Like

[quote=“Baracus250, post:395, topic:578422”]
I took the sticks out to reseat today and I can see there are chips on both sides (and heatsinks) so maybe it is double? Or I misunderstand what you mean and it’s all internal lol[/quote]
From what I have read, only 32GB sticks and above are dual rank, but that actually doesn’t really matter according to the chart I posted.

Possibly, or maybe a batch number? Without having seen the sticks myself, I’m not sure.

Think of ram as a fuel tank and your MHz as the diameter of the fuel pipe to your engine; as long as the tank never runs empty you won’t be missing out no matter how big the tank is. Even allowing for reduced timings (fuel pressure) 6000MHz can still shift a lot more data than 3600MHz.

I don’t think your RAM is unstable, but the poor memory training on X670 chipsets can sometimes cause the training to randomly fail. I suspect it’s retraining at every startup, which gives about a 30 second delay and can cause a short boot loop during training - there’s lots of people complaining about this training behavior on X670 chipsets.

Sometimes the training will fail for whatever reason (despite earlier passing). Normally it should train the memory once and memorize the training for subsequent boots, and only retrain if a memory setting has changed or the motherboard lost power. My Z790 chipset behaves this way, and the training will be usually be memorized for months until a power loss.

You can try a few things to help this along. Obviously using 2 sticks might help as its less stress on the memory controller, but it’s always possible you have a weak memory controller that will always give you issues when training at 6000 Mhz. Increasing VSOC and/or DRAM voltage is also easy and worth a shot to help training stability.

Sounds like what you are saying could be the reason indeed. And perhaps that is also something that will / can improve over time with firmware and driver updates?

Easy when you write it. Not easy for me that doesn’t know what he’s doing in there or where to look! :slight_smile: :rofl:

Increase from what and to what?

VSOC = System on Chip (SOC) voltage. Powers (among other things) the memory controller on the CPU. Giving it more “juice” might help training stability, although I’m skeptical this will help. You can see your current VSOC in ZenTimings.

I have all my main gear, PC and powered USB Hub plugged into a mains extension tower with a master power switch. I turn that single switch off when I’m done, otherwise my second screen keeps waiting for a signal for ages, FFB Joystick power light and a light on the mobo (ROG Logo) stays on and the Logitech panels stay semi-lit because the hub is still “on”. Would removing mains power to the PC in that way when it’s “off” make it lose memory or should the CMOS battery hold it?

OK I will have a closer look at the weekend. But are you talking just increase by the smallest possible amount or what? I don’t want to fry anything :smiley:

And/or? Remember you are taking to a total N00b here :wink:

Based on what you posted earlier on ZenTimings, your current VSOC = 1.335V and VDD/VDDQ (voltage to the RAM sticks) = 1.35V. You could try a modest bump of VSOC = 1.35V or 1.375V and VDD/VDDQ = 1.375V or 1.4V. VSOC in particularly can be very sensitive to load on the memory controller, and usually memory stability scales directly with VSOC. In other words, higher VSOC = more stability for higher memory frequency.

Change VSOC first, save the BIOS, let it reboot, then try to enable DDR5 6000 Mhz, save, let it reboot and see if training is successful. You can bump up VSOC even higher if you want - up to you. If still not training successfully, try to bump up VDD and VDDQ (these will be listed as separate voltage fields) voltage using the same method: change and save first, then apply memory frequency.

These voltages I suggested are safe, so don’t worry about it. VDD/VDDQ can be safely pushed to 1.55V for most dies, and VSOC can go up above 1.45V if I recall.