7950x3d Benchmarks for MSFS 2020

G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo 2x32gb CL 30 6000 EXPO kit is what you want.

This is the best memory on the market for the AM5 platform right now.

Put them in the correct slots, go into BIOS and select EXPO II and verify the bios should automatically select 6000mhz, enable PBO and call it a day until you want to play with it further.

If you’re looking specifically for AMD EXPO support, this is the kit I would get from Gskill. You could even try to push this to CL28 if it’s Hynix A-Die.

F5-6000J3040G32GX2-TZ5NR - G.SKILL International Enterprise Co., Ltd. (gskill.com)

This? 64GB G.Skill DDR5 Trident Z5 RGB 6000MHz CL30 1.40V Dual Channel Kit 2x 32GB Black

For AMD EXPO, you want the Gskill Trident Z5 Neo. The Trident Z5 (non-neo) you linked is for Intel XMP.

I’ll be going with G.Skill Trident Neo’s as well when ready to do my upgrade (currently using one of their DDR4 Trident options), but how can you tell which die it is? Is it luck of the draw, specific clocked sticks, or something else?

Unfortunately it’s a bit luck of the draw. The Trident Z5 6400 kit I bought back in November was Hynix A-Die. It seems like most of the high frequency (>6000 Mhz), low CL kits shipped today (like the DDR5 6000 CL30 kit) are Hynix A-Die, but it could also be Hynix M-Die from earlier production batches. I read somewhere that Hynix is phasing out the older M-Die in favor of A-Die, so it seems more likely newer production batches will be A-Die.

You can confirm which die you have by looking at the barcode on the actual RAM stick. If the long string of numbers and letters ends with an “A” at the very end, it’s A-Die - “M” for M-Die.

For what its worth, I am running the Gskill Trident Neo RGB 2x32GB Kit, F5-6000J3040G32GX2-TZ5NR. I have had zero issues. I am running it at EXPO I it is running at 6000mhz with the CL30 timings. I have not had any issues at all. Still trying to get used to the slower boot time due to the memory training though.

Thanks again guys - just ordered this. Should be here Wednesday or Thursday at latest. Not a bad price. I will get £303 refund from my Fury sticks (luckily I jumped on this this week as they need to know by Friday if I will be sending it back!) so it’s cost me just about £50 extra.

4 Likes

Me again guys. Just want to check in with you guys before I do the wrong thing when my new RAM arrives.

A few questions please:

1. Do I need to do any prep on the mobo (in the Bios) before taking the OLD ram out?
  2. Or just drop the new stuff in then go straight to Bios asap on first boot (don’t let windows load)?
  3. In Bios, I set EXPO II and it should automatically fill 6000 with the “best” timing?
  4. Does anyone know where Expo is hidden on the Strix? I could not find it when I was going through the pages with the guy from where I bought it from (but wasn’t really “trying to” and there are a lot of screen and sub screens! Just that I would have thought it would be easy to see / find up-front). I DID find something else called DOCP 1 or 2 (in AI Tweaker > AI Overclock Tuner options). Is that the same thing? Or maybe because the ram wasn’t actually EXPO compatible it just dynamically didn’t show that option in the drop down?
  5. And then PBO forced “on” rather than “auto”? Or better to try just the ram first before pushing that on?

Is that all?
Thanks again!! :slight_smile:

I would set memory related stuff back to baseline before installing new memory. It’s a good idea to check things are stable before turning on overclocking (which is what XMP/EXPO technically are). Since you mentioned finding DOCP, that is the memory overclock setting in your case. AMD use to call it that, but was supposed to be switching to EXPO for Ryzen 7000 series CPU’s. It looks like DOCP was developed by Asus, so maybe they are just slow to change the nomenclature.

As far as I know it will default to a lower state if non booting so that shouldn’t be a problem. Mine was always never having a PS/2 keyboard to hand with usb legacy disabled (or Fastboot) - CMOS reset every time although now Uefi seems to have our backs there too (or maybe it’s just the newer keyboards).

Also, this exact RAM can get it’s timings tweaked even further and oh my lord does it make a difference. I followed this guys exact timings and it woke up my Gskill Neo 6000 CL30. I got approximately 10-11 more fps in MSFS with Fenix A320 just by tweaking the timings shown in the video. For anybody interested in tweaking timings on these RAMS follow this. I believe it works for other AM5 RAMS as well.

1 Like
  1. No prep necessary. Just make sure you turn switch on power supply to off, then hold PC power button for about 10 seconds so that all electrical power has left the PC. Then just remove RAM and install new ones. Make sure you hear the RAM click into slots. Many times people think they have RAM issues and lots of time is just that the RAM was not seated properly.

2.It doesn’t matter, the system will automatically detect and start to train the memory on boot. You might see the system reboot 1-3 times. Just let it do it’s thing and go straight into Windows. This is to make sure system boots correctly into windows. Once it booted into windows with no issues, restart and go back into BIOS to turn on EXPO II.

1. Yes, once you set EXPO II press F10 to save and exit and it will restart with 6000.

4.Yes, AI Tweaker > AI Overclock Tuner options is where you would select the RAM EXPO I or II. But if the option you are seeing now is DOCP instead of Expo, then that means your RAM installed does not have EXPO.

When you install the Gskill Trident Neo 6000 CL30 it will show EXPO instead of DOCP.

Put PBO to enable.

In the advanced tab, go into CPU configuration and disable SVM. This will gain you a few more fps and unless you are using a virtual machine, you don’t need to have it enabled. It doesn’t affect anything on the computer, but for some reason MSFS works with a few more fps with it disabled.

In advanced tab, go all the way to bottom and go into CBS and disable SMT. This also gives a few more fps in MSFS. SMT is the multithreading. If you do a lot of heavy production work like video editing then leave it enabled. I only use my PC for gaming and normal work, so I have it disabled.

2 Likes

Super - thanks very much for that very useful info. I will follow this guide religiously :wink: :+1:

(
but again conflicting advice on this topic with @Mooncatt3953 saying I should set defaults before removing the Kingston ram lol)

That timings video looks really useful too - I will definitely try and do that after I verify everything works for a few days.

Yeah I think this is the case
 I see in the manual it mentions Expo in that list but it definitely wasn’t there. I feel like they mis-sold me this Fury ram as I specifically mentioned and asked if they would set up the Expo settings before shipping the tower to me and they said yes. So I will complain (not that it will change anything!) :smiley: But I am British - we are supposed to be good at complaining :wink:

Not so much conflicting, as just a different way of doing things. My personal preference is to check that things work out of the box before I start tinkering with them, especially if I’ve been meddling with a lot of settings prior to the hardware change. Nothing inherently wrong with leaving things as they are and simply swapping sticks (though I do agree on the power down/drain step first), as it should theoretically work. If it doesn’t work, you’ll want to go through all the troubleshooting steps, which would include setting back to default anyway.

Which way you do it comes down to personal preference based on how risk averse you are and whether you want to spend more time on a thorough initial setup or potential time on troubleshooting later.

1 Like

I would set the bios to default first too. After installing the new ram then I would turn Amd expo back to on again. Just avoid it using the older ram settings.

2 Likes

So the conclusion after the benchmarks is, almost the same or the same as the intel 13xxx?, Âżnot that difference like when the 5800x3d?, right?

Runs a lot cooler which means also quieter than the Intel. It’s a big plus point for me.

1 Like

To add something else to the topic. About temperatures.
My unit stays at 50°C when running MSFS. Using a 240mm AiO.
I was thinking about upgrading to a 360mm, but for the sim is not necessary more in my case.
For high load on productivity applications it will be beneficial to get the 360mm aio, but I’ll wait to the summer.

1 Like

Looks like the 5800x3d is still top notch after 7950x3d.

I hate the need to upgrade from AM4 to AM5 socket.

1 Like