7950x3d Benchmarks for MSFS 2020

I don’t know what application sitting behind Pico would be.

According to everything I’ve read, setting pre rendered frames to 4, gives the highest frame, at a cost of latency.

However, with these high end systems, its pretty much low latency all of the time anyway, thus setting to 4 gives best experience. Let me know what your experience is.

1 Like

So top end kit? This doesn’t sound like much of a revelation to me, rather common sense.

Tips worth noting though, should I ever buy a more modern VR headset.

1 Like

Yes, while it’s not a new relevelation as such, nobody ever mentions this setting, and additionally, we’re only ever told about adjusting fs2020 in the nvidia control panel…

Nobody’s ever mentioned adjusting mixed reality portal.

Those settings have helped eliminate stutters completely, something that was thought of as being elusive!

Let me know if it works for you.

2 Likes

Has anybody gone from 7950X to 7950X3D with an RTX4090 and thought it was worth the ‘upgrade’?

Well I am massively disappointed now. Don’t know what to think.
New RAM arrived, I don’t know if you were following the other thread where I was explaining my problems with the previous G.Skill kit I bought and tried (and returned), but same thing has happened with this pair. 1 long beep and 2 short beeps, won’t post. Take 1 stick out and it’s OK.

To be clear, the steps I just took are:

1. Still with the old ram, I reformatted a USB stick and put the 1415 bios flash file on.
  2. Rebooted to Bios and load defaults, reboot to bios again.
  3. Installed 1415 and load defaults again. Load windows to verify 1415 is on.
  4. Power down and swap the ram.
  5. Power on and it won’t post.
  6. Clear CMOS and same thing.

Now I am assured the board was OK when I sent it back, and it has been working with 2 sticks of the old ram in those same slots. I am totally sad and lost now. It can’t be defective G.Skill ram two times in a row?

1 Like

I bent a CPU pin once and I finally figured out that was my problem. To compensate for that I got a bigger memory module for the one good slot.

I have, and oh man!! That is terrible. Normally I would think the board is bad first. But you sent it back. I’m sure you tried the other slots too. Is there anywhere you can test that kit you just got in another computer? Even a small computer shop or something. It would help nail it I would think. Not at all saying two bad kits in a row isn’t possible. I wonder if the default voltage put to the memory isn’t high enough, and no post.

Has me thinking. Boot it in with one stick of gskill and manually set the voltage to 1.4 for the memory, then try the other stick in too

I did, but I don’t know what they really did to test it. They said they ran full stress test. But they never tried it with the G.Skill I sent them. Not happy with them coz I specifically asked them to do that, and they had it a whole 2 weeks. He said they had on the phone, but when it came back to me I discovered that they didn’t and the Fury was back in it. Was miscommunication their side internally - not good.

If the board was running fine though, even with 64gb of the Fury (all 4 slots used) then can it really be a problem with the board?

Since writing that post above I have tried each stick alone in A2 slot and they both work individually - no problems. Turned EXPO on at 6000 and it’s stable (rest of board settings are default), did some flights with each stick and it’s fine.

I will try what you said about forcing 1.4v and then adding 2nd stick on B2. Think I can remember where that was done (VDDC and VDDQ or something right?!) Worried about overriding SOC due to the “AMD Fires” still so this isn’t affecting that? :smiley:

At least this time the 1415 bios seems OK installed!

I did not try other slots as I thought really only A2 + B2 is the best for speed - and seeing as I am doing this to extract the best, there isn’t much point getting it working on other slots than those?

EDIT: Was just looking if there is another brand of ram I could buy and try. Someone upthread mentioned the Dominator Platinum, but on QVL for the Asus that is not listed as EXPO. There is only 2 other options from brands I never heard of! Adata and V-color. Not touching those so this is my only option for 64gb EXPO!

I’m going to have a quick look at your mobo manual and I’ll get you straight there. It will affect nothing other than the memory controller. You’re safe, and that kit will take 1.55 volts in xtreme oc, maybe more. 1.4 is the default with expo

I got this off the teamgroup site said its asus mobo, should be same looking bios even if they are older ones
this one

1 Like

Thank you very much - gonna give it a try right now and report back. :crossed_fingers:

Don’t hold out much hope TBH. Pretty sure I did this before and it’s the same behaviour again now.

Also shouldn’t it just post at base settings (4800 speed I think, maybe less) regardless of voltage, or just because it’s 32gb sticks it “could” need more even at base settings? I know next to zero about all this!

1 Like

It might just be the default voltage isn’t enough to boot in the gskill with two sticks at the memorys’ default settings.

EDIT: Maybe something that would get worked out in future bios updates. If the 1.2V or whatever the default is, is really only 1.15 or something too. What is set, isn’t always what you get exactly, with voltages.

1 Like

Looks like by switching EXPO on, it’s already pre selected (grey) 1.40.

Second screen is in Advanced Memory Voltages.

1 Like

yes!!! Not sure if you can do it that way, but it won’t hurt to try booting in two sticks now. It should work though. If not try no expo and just 1.4v for both of the same settings

I mean, it was already like this after I enabled EXPO. Ah but yea, I had to remove a stick to get to Bios to see this and enable it, so yeah I have not tried with 2 sticks like this (but I did not change anything here just now is what I meant). OK trying to add the other!! :smiley:

Do what?

VDD and VDDQ you mean? (will try 2nd stick now first anyway… brb)

1 Like

Oh sorry, I meant enabling expo with one stick then adding the other. But, I can’t also see why it wouldn’t work

Yes please, those two if it doesn’t work this boot, with no expo

Still not booting with 2 sticks expo. But behaviour was different. One medium length beep and orange light. Not long and 2 short this time.

Will try one more boot here then try remove that stick, bios, switch off expo and set 1.4. But really what good will that do me? I need expo to work that’s the whole point?

EDIT: 2nd try boot I got the long and 2 short beeps lol

It might have to be enabled once it boots in with both sticks. It might be configured for one stick expo

1 Like

try going in again one stick and disable expo and just adjust those two voltages manually and then try two sticks again

Is not even booting with 1 stick now after taking 2nd out.