7950x3d Benchmarks for MSFS 2020

Ohh Kay so I’ve done the ram swap, set DOCP (settled on 5800 as 6000 did rarely do some weird things but that could have been other issues) and SVM and SMT disabled. Now, PBO!? Which is the right setting. The text at bottom here says it lets it run OVER defined value for SOC which is the fire problem innit?!

Just “Enabled” and Auto scalar here?

Or Enhancement and Level 2 80 degrees better?!

Not gonna try the other stuff yet until I test this step. Undervolting (-15) and so on you were mentioning. Might need some more help for that! Maybe you should come in my discord as I really feel I’m taking this topic into the woods :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have mine set to 89, even pbo 90 is fine. all are pbo, the lower the temp with it, is setting where it will start to throttle. This is the temp it starts to throttle. Set 90. The lower you go is the more overhead for temps you remove.

I mean the other option is just plain old Enabled. In which case the drop-down below is Auto or Manual (the level temps is just if I select Enhancement in the drop down above instead of Enabled.

With Manual I get this list instead.

lets do that if you like. With pm’s you can only go so fast

just pbo enabled is good too. pbo 90 sounds perfect. PBO enabled will have you throttling at 95 degrees. I have never seen mine go over 70s\

EDIT: He passed a stress test with pbo enabled woooooohooooo. Sorry @Baracus250 I’m too excited to not share the good news

2 Likes

Wow, this is a great tip, I’m going to try it out when I can. Though using Varjo software. I wonder if it’ll help with Motion Prediction.

1 Like

Got CCD1 down to 15’s, Keeping it SMT disabled did the trick. Might push that further, but not as important. Not enabling SMT anyways. Going to shoot for -30s on CCD0.

EDIT : Thank you EK Nucleus AIO CR360 Lux D-RGB for the delish temps. This looks like its going to pass. Yeah I’m probs jinx’ing it

EDIT2: Andddddddddddddd. It passed. -35’s next. Really got the temps cooking at the end there. :smiley:

EDIT3: Not all cores going to hit on -35. whea error early. I know msfs runs on the core 3 from 0, if I can get that up

Goodness me!!! PS, if anyone cares. My 3090 is on a 450W BIOS. I’ll have to run it a couple more times, I think I can get a better CPU score, time to take the 3090 off stock voltage

EDIT 2000: I need to up my psu now from the 1000w, the trade-off in powering up the 3090 harder creates way more heat from both the card, and the psu, bigger will be cooler. Then getting into the OC hard won’t limit the cpu boosting. The card was running 60 celcius boosted, but nothing running with 100%fans. Or, maybe try a run with my A/C on :thinking:

EDIT: From benchie from userbenchmark Holy, Thankful. Left the vidcard stock to try and let the cpu boost in lower heat

That’s really good. I think my ram is the limiting factor at the moment. I’ve gotta try to get down to -30!

1 Like

Most ddr5 kits unless they are budget with do a cas30 on stock voltage, and thank-you for the kind words :slight_smile: I’m sure you’ll get -30 too. Big-ups and go for it!!!\

Purple’s Return!! Yeah it could be tidier. I’m built for speed, not comfort :stuck_out_tongue:

Went through 5 cores from ccd0 trying -35. whea errors. enough for tonight. tomorrow core by core with -1 at a time

Performance demands defo changed with the advent of AAU2 (I suspect this doesn’t only affect cpu, it’s a gpu crusher too). Went from a steady 51C with spikes into the 70s here and there when loading, cpu wise. To 61C spikes into the 80s. (This is sad that an extreme stress test doesn’t come close to heating my cpu as this update) I might have to switch my rad to a top mount, as It’s throwing my vid cards temps into 80 - 83C (I suspect this is more due to this update) and that is with reflections brought back to 256. Sure it’ll do it all day long. But I’m not used to seeing that unless I purposefully throw the kitchen sink at that 3090. Or, replace rad fans with Noctua and add an extra 1000rpm or so. Worked with my last rig Switched out the kraken fans for noctua 140’s ippc 3000rpm. I’ll continue to work that OC once I’ve reconfigured (What I’m really waiting for is a hot fix, literally. There is a hint of one coming in the AAU2 official thread). :slight_smile: PS I would typically run low 60C with DLSS DLAA or high 60s to low 70s TAA 135% resolution scale for 9 million pixels 3440x1440 on the vid card

EDIT: BAD addon, other users reporting similar. Update at same time frame as AAU2
EDIT2: Nope, it’s the update. Bad addon version removed. Seen at least one other user in 7800x3d thread saying same thing. Temps jumped after AAU2
EDIT 3: NanoVG Broken After Avionics Update Cockpits Entirely CPU Bound

Where?

The only thing I saw was a fix for the white dot/screen outline “in a future update”, which could mean anything from a patch to another SU to even a WU.

Did you see something more specific than that? Or one that pertains to a fix for the performance hit you’re describing?

2 Likes

Yeah, sorry. I think that was just my wishful thinking. I saw the same thing. Was early this AM

1 Like

looking for a new gaming laptop

curently I have a i7-10750h that must be underclock at 3.6ghz to keep it under boiling temp

looking for a new one with a 7845HX

Would the difference be worth it?
/ what kind of gain can I expect?

PBO scalar x10, Boost override +200. Still tinkering. Game mode off, don’t need this as prefer cache was set. task manager shows the action happening, or happening mostly on ccd0. Will do a run with these settings game mode on to be sure, and get back to undervolting further.

1 Like

I used to have my boost override at +200 via PBO but have since scaled it back to 75. The reality of it is that the cpu hits the max boost rate for just a very, very brief amount time off and on over time mainly due to the heat generated at this high frequency. The typical cpu frequency that’s more or less maintained while stressing the cpu for long periods of time (i.e. MSFS) is several hundred Mhz less than max boost. You can see this with a tool such as HWiNFO64.

What I saw is that if I have my max boost at just 75 along with under volting, my 5900x of course didn’t briefly boost as high, however, it was able to maintain a higher frequency by several hundred mhz under stress. The key is the under volting reduces the heat factor allowing the cpu to maintain a higher frequency under stress which helps maintain the smoothness in the sim (for me at least).

I know you have a different cpu but the theory is still the same. Take a look at the link below and it will show you what I’m saying in more detail.

(1) AMD Ryzen Precision Boost Overdrive & AutoOC Benchmarks & Explanation - YouTube

2 Likes

Well, I am learning some things along the way. After 2 days I have my percore undervolt complete on CCD0 sheeeesh. took many 10 min runs occt going core by core only running against the core adjusting. Then it took many runs to finalize it. Core 4 turned out to be the weakest link. When other cores started to get pushed harder, it exposed this. When I first ran all cores, I crashed immediately after starting occt. turned my scalar up from 1x to 10x that got me running long enough to see the errors on cores 4, and 6. Ended up having to keep adjusting core 4 down and an overall bump down everywhere of 2 to get me running 45min runs of occt for long term… till next bios update stability. On the second last run I got a whea error at 33mins. I am not going to touch CCD1 today. It’s left at -15’s. No matter what I have not seen CCD0 boost past 5250mhz, but I haven’t benched it. CCD1 I have seen one core cross the 5700mhz line so far. I have a Boost override of +50.
Here is what’s under the hood.

Best boost

typically what I saw during runs

2 Likes

Lordy. I will post again an actual result, after CCD1 is tuned. And after I put a hard OC on my memory. I am defo holding a good boost now on average :smiley:

EDIT: Can’t stress enough, On these high end builds… get that thingy on the right. 1500W Cyberpower UPS. Voltage regulation, and stabilizer, battery back-up (Yeah, I know that’s not a consumer model). There are some good consumer models that aren’t as expensive. Nothing will harm… or stop it… plug your router and modem to it. Play a bit through blackouts, or many hours of netflix :smiley:

EDIT: Looking to put my 2x32 gskills to a cas 28, possibly 6400. let’s see?

EDIT2: Oh my goodness, that is going to be tough to pull off :point_up:. Found myself resetting my bios twice already pushing this ram that hard. I’m not done yet.

2 Likes

Thank-You!!! I certainly don’t know everything. I’m a vertan of OC since the days of Celeron D. My first Red build since their K7 days Athlon XP, when they had team blue beat for a touch. Put me on the right path with boost overrides. Might fiddle with it more yet.