A game for gamers

The multi monitor setup has been discusses and will be addressed at some point.

Indeed. Real procedures, piloting skills, navigation skills…they are all secondary in this program.

For us ‘serious simmers’, it shouldn’t have come as a surprise given the very first splash screen you see when launching the program:

‘Xbox Game Studios’

Pity though; it could have been brilliantly accurate; but it was always an Xbox game…and a good game at that - just not a realistic flight simulator.

1 Like

Wow, over 80 likes for my comment at the start of this thread. It must have struck a note with people.

I think everyone should just get on with enjoying FS2020 for what it is and if some people really want it to have certain study level features because they play it as a really serious simming experience I guess they just need to be patient and see what third party developers and Asobo bring to it in the future. Clearly there are issues with it currently that need to be ironed out before any of it moves a more complex direction.

For me I just don’t really think about or care whether I’m a gamer or a simmer. I’m both I think. I’ve got all the nice hardware to go with the sim including Logitech flight panels and a decent X56 HOTAS. I’m pretty well kitted out for some reasonably serious flight simming. But what I love about FS2020 is I can make it my own. Sometimes I just want to muck about in an F14 pretending I’m Tom Cruise or using my old school as a target for bombing practice in the F15.

Other times though I want to fly the A320 from London to Edinburgh doing everything as realistically as possible, even with live ATC for extra immersion. In other words going closer to the full simulator experience.

So yeah its a game, its a sim, its what you make of it. Just have fun is most important thing and don’t let anyone look down on you.

4 Likes

Secondary? Every single one of those can be covered in MSFS the same way as in XP / P3D. If I had the time I would fly from Montgomery to Blyth in IMC using paper charts and navigating the airways using a CDI and DME and end up shooting the VOR/DME Runway 26 (and circle to land if needed) in all of them flying a Cessna 152 and post videos of them here.

3 Likes

Of course…but if you want to fly IFR at 40k using ATC it is a different story - unless you are suggesting that airliners do not require piloting skills, navigation skills etc, which I am sure you are not suggesting.

Skeaping with and reading MAtt for example, but some others, and sourcing some internal librairies) nav system, Autopilot managment, ATC and link between them come from FSX for example. and there are important features for a sim (at least for simmers), features kept are more important than pourcentage kept (than means nothing as this).
source : 25 years as C++ (only) software developer :wink:

1 Like

Never heard of it.

The flight sim sim knows where it is because it knows where it isnt?

There is no way the current autopilot come from FSX, or perhaps that’s why it was completely broken at the beginning because it was utterly incompatible with the rest of the codebase, given the physical engine is entirely new, and probably a lot of ther things as well, hence they had to rewrite it entirely from scratch.

For the ATC, perhaps it comes from FSX, and that’s why it works so badly, but then again, the voice synthesis didn’t exist in FSX, and the entire GUI is new.

The nav system as well, they most likely had to rewrite it almost entirely. Just like pretty much everything else.

Then you have to account for entirely new graphics, netcode, real time data management and caching, multiplayer, multithreaded engine, data description, visuals, weather, instrumentation and instruments script engine, lobby, marketplace, dynamic worldmap, etc, etc, etc.

So yeah, 90% of the code is new, that’s for sure.

Again, if you have really done 25 years of C++, you should know all that.

1 Like

I have, it’s lacking a LOT. It’s very pretty, but like a lot of FS2020 it’s shallow.

It’s far from shallow, even in it’s early development it’s very good.

You need to just give it rest, it’s incredibly boring

1 Like

Early development? The whole thing already exists. G1000 NXi PC Trainer for Cessna NAV III | Garmin

Does it exist in msfs2020, no it doesn’t. It’s in early development for this sim.

1 Like

Here is where I see the issue, it is discussed ad nauseam that MSFS is not serious enough for those that actually put a lot of time and money into this hobby. I have spent a lot and I mean a lot of time and money into this hobby over the past 20 years and it quite frankly saddens me to see posts that when I read them make me feel I can’t be considered a serious simmer because of what I see as a good sim simply with flaws currently.

Look, I really enjoy MSFS and do acknowledge it’s issues. I can compare these issues with P3D and XP which like I said I have a boat load of addons for. There are issues that I feel should simply not exist however that doesn’t mean MSFS itself isn’t for the diehard flight sim enthusiast.

I feel like I am being thrown in the “gamer” category here (e.g as someone who doesn’t take this hobby with seriousness nor enthusiasm). How many who can simply be thought of as “gamers” that get bored with MSFS within 10 minutes spend over $1,000 on a yoke (with another near $2,000 yoke on it’s way), over $800 on rudder pedals, almost $600 on a MCP, almost $800 on a throttle quadrant and much more? How many who don’t take this hobby seriously spend over 4,500 hours on a realistic ATC network (VATSIM) and are in training to become a controller?

The meat and potatoes of a flight sim come from the addons, even in XP. Compare the Airfoillabs and SimCoders 172 to the LR, the LR one can’t hold a candle to them. Take a good look at FSElite and Threshold, there is a lot to look forward to.

5 Likes

If it would be possible, I wish Asobo could outsource more of the code to 3rd party devs. Example, instead of FBW working on free A380, they could be outsourced to improve those weather APIs they expressed their desire for. I know it’s never this simple, just my thought.

They know what they want and what needs to be built for more realistic plane-weather interaction, so why not give that project to them, if Asobo is not skilled enough or too busy with other parts.
3rd party devs of realistic planes know best what needs to be put in the sim to make it even better for their planes. They can push the realism bar the highest, while the gaming content still remains there to play with.

But if MS sticks with Xbox and Top Gun, I guess the wait for new xplane is all that’s left… In the end it’s all their decisions where they want to take the game-sim-whatever.

As has been a ton of other issues that have yet to be fixed. I’m not holding my breath. :wink: The point being FS 2020 isn’t ready to be used as an “extreme” flight simulator, which was the claim being made.

If you were not a serious simmer you would not know about CDI, VOR and DME and I am not suggesting that you are not a simmer.

What I am saying is that landing challenges, bush flights, screenshot competitions are ‘game’ elements and that FS2020 seems to be more accentuated to such things rather than decent AI aircraft, decent ATC (I use Vatsim and Pilot2ATC because the ATC in the program is so unreliable), reliable FCMS, night lighting for gates at airports, correct taxi procedures, accurate weather and ATIS and so on…none of which matter if you just want to go sight-seeing, which it seems is what most people want to do - and to crash into their house of course.

As I have said before, MSFS could have been a brilliant and accurate simulator but, regrettably, it is not.

People can use MSFS however they want - and they should do so. It doesn’t alter the fact however that as an accurate flight simulation medium it is poor.

Let me just reiterate that I am in no way criticizing you or how you use the game.

Maybe it is just that having retired after 30 years as a RW pilot (RAF and commercial) I am somewhat disappointed at the ‘gamey’ direction in which this program seems to be headed.

3 Likes

Yet the “cheaper” Toyota won the 24 hours of Le Mans this year. :slight_smile:

just sayin’ :wink:

Let me a question, when high-end and pinnacle level addons are released for MSFS will your view change on this? The Fenix A320 in my opinion looks better than the FSLabs A320. The PMDG 737 is due for release and then their 747 and 777, there is hype about that. What is going to happen when A2A starts bringing their addons? A2A are renowned for their light GA aircraft with extreme fidelity. A C172 from A2A would sell like hotcakes in MSFS. From what I recall A2A are simply waiting for one thing to happen for their “magic” to work in MSFS, they’re currently working on their PA-24. There is a 23 page thread over on another flight sim forum that asks (and suggests) MSFS has a better flight model than XP, a sim that many claim to be the Holy Grail of flight sims.

You’re using the word “could have” here, that is being under the pretense that MSFS will not improve in this regard. I’m almost postive that I saw a screenshot of a Discord message saying that all aircraft are going to receive a major overhaul with their flight model (and it was on this forum too). You’re saying there is no point in sim updates to MSFS. It was just in SU4 where a number of aircraft had their flight model tweaked. I went ahead and tested this myself and it was true. I even have a video saved on the release day of SU4 when I tested this.

2 Likes

The short answer to your question is a resounding ‘Yes’ - if that is, MSFS steers back to the centre where, as well as being a game platform, it also supports the ‘more serious’ perspective of ‘flight simming’.

I too am looking forward to the things that I believe Microsobo will never produce,aircraft such as the Fenix, perhaps proper AI Traffic, as in Aerosoft’s Simple Traffic - which they have currently shelved because they cannot access the necessary files, accurate weather and so on; all of which requires a stable and working platform upon which third party developers can build their products.

I really want MSFS to be what I would call a ‘real’ simulator for real pilots and serious simmers but - and it is a big but - MS may not allow that to happen.

I have no doubt that Asobo are passionate about this program. MS on the other hand will do whatever is necessary to satisfy their shareholders - which ultimately is their only purpose in life, given that they are a commercial corporation.