A VR Success Story- IN PICTURES!

You shouldn’t be able to closing WMR Portal Window when in VR otherwise it should shutdown VR and probably FS2020 along the way. It is peculiar!?

As for the resolution(s) question, I’m describing in “My VR Settings” the methodology I’ve been applying which basically is finding I can push about 2K x 2K render res without reproj. or 1.5K x 1.5K with reproj. (on a 9700K+2070S) with a combination of FS2020 base settings and Win10+NViida fine tuning.

Once you’ve determined this target figure, you can then exploit the TAA/SS ratio to your advantage because FS2020 is not just simply “stretching” the render res. into the headset res. at all, it is more complex than this.

For example you’ve chosen a TAA/SS ratio which gives you close to G2 native panel resolution, but there are many different ratios giving the same render resolution than the G2 native panel resolution, not just one, and this is where it gets interesting because you can maximize the visuals (outside, less blurry) while minimizing the performance hit at the same time.

I’m describing the resolutions here:
Comparing Reverb G2 and Valve Index resolution and what does it mean with SteamVR and OpenXR

And the main points here:
EFIS resolution depends on render resolution, not post-processing resolution.

Take the Index for example, in choosing TAA 100 and SS 78 I get clear sharp EFIS but blurry outside world. However in choosing TAA 60 and SS 220 I get detailed outside view and legible enough EFIS. In both cases, the simulator is rendering the same number of pixels (about the same) and in both cases I get about the same fps too. The difference lies in how the simulator is rendering all this:

• FS2020 EFIS screen resolution depends on TAA scale only
  • FS2020 outside details depends on SS scale only
  • TAA 70 gives the best perf/pixel ratio globally, TAA 80 gives the best legibility/perf ratio on EFIS

I’ve nearly tested all combinations with both the Index and the G2 and this is why for the G2 I’ve ended up recommending these when not using reprojection:

FS2020 OpenXR Comments
TAA 70% SS 70% Well balanced gauges and external visuals with solid fps
TAA 80% SS 60% Best for Airliners where EFIS sharpness is more important than external view
TAA 60% SS 100% Best for analog gauges GA aircraft with super detailed outside view.

Please note: these are selected to match the unique G2 resolution and might not always apply to other headsets. TAA ## means FS2020 Render Scaling, SS ## means OpenXR Render Scale.

When using reprojection there is a bug in WMR OpenXR where any SS below 65 gets distorted, therefore the minimum I can use if OXR SS 65. It is fine because at SS 65 the reprojection algorithm has less pixels to process and therefore can deliver. From this minimum value I’ve therefore found for my test system I need to do the following if I want to use reproj.:

• OpenXR Dev Tools:
    Render Scale 65% | Motion Reproj. AUTO
  • FS2020:
    Terrain LOD: 50% | Render Scaling 60% | (Clouds LOW if needed)

All details here:
[Update 02JAN2021 - Settings for Motion Reprojection]

These settings are giving me at least 30fps with reproj., displaying as 90fps in the headset, in most aircraft and most areas. When flying over Hawaii or near Dubai, I can raise TAA to 70 instead of 60 with the K350, but not with the A320, and with the CAP10 I can raise it higher but there is no need with analogue gauges aircraft where 60 is really fine.

PS: We’re a little bit “forced” to optimizing all this because the simulator is under-delivering, but we shouldn’t be doing this as much with a 2070S which is already quite capable a video card. Furthermore I get much better fps with the G2 higher panel res and FS2020 higher rendering res. using WMR, than with the Index lower panel res and FS2020 similar rendering res using SteamVR.

However, in XP11 I get fluid stutter free 45fps with the B737 over ORBX LOWI with both the G2 and Index, at a higher resolution than the one I’m using in FS2020. I’ve for example tested the Index at 150% SS and it was running really fine in XP11, and was looking so stunning at 150% with the added benefit of the Index over the G2 I was almost considering the G2 is an investment for FS2020 only…

2 Likes