A320NX FBW Experimental Latest (09/19/2021 - 7de8f12) - Not allowing changing sim rate?

Thanks, I tried this today. On my low-end computer, ca. 25 fps, I was able to sustain 4x sim rate during cruise without problems. 2x during most of the flight also no issue.
Just another perfect uneventful flight, thanks for fixing this, I had forgotten what it was to perform a full flight from gate to gate without either a CTD or a plane crash by the autopilot :slight_smile:

I mean, it makes a bit a sad tbh that definition of “functional” plane is solely given when a sim rate other than 1x can be used
as if using sim rate 1x cannot be used to make a whole flight (which I personally consider as the usual case).

Important remark:
Do not update your experimental version for the time being if you want to keep the fix. I removed the fix from experimental version to follow QA process.

1 Like

I am a bit confused on the FPS thing. I always thought the sim just needs to be able to maintain a certain fps number, regardless of the sim-rate. I lock my fps to 30 as it’s the best experience for me. But it seems it doesn’t let me go passed 2x. When I increase the lock to 60 it lets me go further to 4x. That would suggest (which I think I already read somewhere) minimum fps = current fps/simrate.
In P3D (e.g. Aerosoft A320) days this “equation” didn’t really matter. You just needed to keep the actual fps above minimum.
Did this change with MSFS or is this “limitation” just a very conservative way of keeping things stable?

I too am one of those people that like to use higher sim-rates as my time is limited but don’t want to limit myself to only flying short-haul. And with the A380 coming soon I would love to at least use 4x, but keep my fps locked at 30 fps.

A few posts ago there was talk about “fixing” that limitation in ModelConfiguration.ini. I can’t seem to find that file. I am using the dev version.

Thanks

The key point is: with sim rate higher than 1 the sample rate for the FBW/AP is significantly removed. Imagine you look at something every second and now a time compression of 2 is used. You still look every second on it, but in the simulation 2 seconds have passed. We’re talking about a lot of control loops and filters etc and there are just limits when they can become unstable.

The ModelConfiguration.ini has to be created by you with the proper values. It’s intentionally not created by default.

To keep in mind is that any airplane in MSFS files differently than in P3D (less on rails) and turbulence can occur at any time which in some cases can be an additional challenge when flying with high sim rate.

Hi there @AGuther . I downloaded the last experimental version two days ago, and I see that the sim rate unlocking feature is enabled again, great news!
Your experimental version is now very stable at higher sim rates even on low-end machines (I even tried an autoland at 4x with my old and slow computer and it sort of works
).
In addition, I have only had one CTD during flight (actually, it was while taxiing) on more than 30 flights (plus another one with the Metar Printer - but this is a known issue so I stopped using it).
Performance is good both on a low-end machine at 1080p and on a medium-to-high-end machine at 4k.
And I love the new fix feature for TOD decision.
Thanks again for the great job!
:slight_smile:

Hey, how smooth is your framerate? I’m working on improving the screen impact on smoothness in the aircraft.

My framerate is capped to 30fps. On my “good” computer (3060Ti) I achieve that easily mid-flight (resolution 4K, render scale 100%, settings on HIGH - some ULTRA - LOD = 4), but it drops to the mid 20s in normal airports and to minimums of 13 - 15 on difficult airports (KJFK, KMIA by LVFR). etc.
In my low-end computer (1050 card), at 1080p, the frames are slightly lower, but it runs at 1080p and with most visual settings to “LOW”.
But in all cases and in both computers, the A320NX FBW Experimental is very steady and stable on AP, even at 2x or 4x simrate.

I’ve switched to Experimental (Dev before) and created the .ini file in the work folder with the value mentioned above, but no effect. How can I get rid of the simrate limitation?

Hi there, my config file is:
Path: C:\Users\MYSUSER\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState\packages\flybywire-aircraft-a320-neo\work
Name: ModelConfiguration.ini
Contents:
[autopilot]
simulation_rate_reduction_enabled=false
limit_simulation_rate_by_performance = false

It works for me

3 Likes

Many thanks, jfoguet61. I didn’t read the above carefully enough and wasn’t aware that two entries have to be made in the file. Not it works.

1 Like

Using stable version today and with the latest update and for the first time i can’t get to 4x. It puts me back to 2x immediately. is this a new thing in stable?

Yes. It seems your performance was very very low in that case and to ensure you’re not getting into oscillations the sim rate is reduced.

my FPS was btwn 38 and 42. So I’m not sure how you can say the performance was low. Is there a way to override this?

Remember if you enable 4x sim rate the rate the FBW and AP is not 38-42, it’s your frame rate / 4, so between 9.5 and 10.5.

Just read this topic. The info to override it on your own responsibility is in here.

Has this feature been reimplemented? Just downloaded the latest dev version and I cannot increase my sim rate even though my FPS are in the mid to high 50’s.

I second this. I think I get to two times sim rate and thats it with 60+ fps. Any news on this??

I cannot reproduce what you’re saying. I always get 4x at the same fps as you.

You can activate the dev mode and show the console, then try to increase the sim rate and make a screenshot of the console.

Beside that you can also disable the feature. See description in this thread.

It can also be found here apparently: AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator\Packages\flybywire-aircraft-a320-neo\work

That would be back when the FBW was in the marketplace. You should not have that version any more.