About Next Level racing motion V3 for simming

Hi @TELLURICO1975, again - can only say a big thank-you. Got back to it a couple of days ago and found the NLR updates and fixed profiles all ready and waiting. Everything was just ‘plug-and -play’.

Have been flying the MilViz C310 with the GA profile and it all works very nicely together. I was pleased to find that there seems to be quite a bit more general air turbulence than I remember when I started with the V3.

1 Like

Hi @JCSLOVE, For what it’s worth, I’m using the HP Reverb G2 with the V3 platform and they work just fine together. BUT … after using the NLR motion compensation software (VR HeadWay) for a bit, I have uninstalled it: I actually think that for flight simulation (GA / Airline at least) it is better without it.

To be honest, you really don’t physically move that much and - for me at least - the sense of motion in VR without the compensation is more realistic. Now if you want to pick up a hot jet and work through Robert L. Shaw’s ‘Fighter Combat’ from cover to cover, it might be different, but for most low intensity positive G aviation it works just fine. Even the odd stall turn and lazy split-S in the Stearman puts a big smile on my face… :laughing:

1 Like

@ClayishCoast9 super happy you are having fun with my profiles! :heart_eyes:

For the motion compensation I agree, for slow fliers having a bit of “natural G effect” helps the brain to build up the G sensation. With aerobatic planes and jet fighters of course the effect may be too strong and push your head out of the canopy :rofl:

Happy flying everyone!

it seems that your profiles doesn´t work anymore with new firmware update from NLR. I can import your profiles but they are all set to standard values. Or am I doing something wrong?

Hi @SpurGiraffe8523, can you please provider V3 firmware and Motion Application versions?

Thanks

sure
Firmware 135.12
Platform Manager 2.121

Hi All,

first of all, so happy to have found this thread and you guys, feels like home for my “motion thoughts”.

Currently, I have a NLR GTtrack rig with a Buttkicker Gamer 2 (with SimShaker for flying, SimHub for racing), a Logitech X56 HOTAS, Fanatec ClubSport wheel and pedals system and I’m also dreaming of a motion platform (the :cherries: on my :cake:) for more than a year already.

My primary sims are iRacing and MSFS with some IL-2 and DCS leisure dogfighting in-between. As I’m a huge VR enthusiast and play exclusively in VR, I’ve set other priorities first and bought the Varjo Aero back in March. I really love my Aero (after Q1, Q2, G2), but I still have to wait before I can afford the next step into motion.

Now to my main concern. I bought my NLR rig already a year ago with the plan to upgrade it one day with the motion platform V3. I still love the idea, just got recently intrigued by the new NLR motion plus system. Very similar price-tag, full rig compatibility, small footprint and same as the V3: 2DOF. Its main advantage being the fact that the entire rig is moved instead of the seat only. I think this is less of an issue when flying, but for “serious”, precise racing I’m wondering if the motion plus may be the better choice. However, there are disadvantages, too. According to some Youtube reviews (I truly recommend the one from “Boosted Media”) it seems to be more noisy than the V3, which is an issue in my case. Also, the movement seems to be way less pronounced with just a tiny pitch because of its layout. I know this isn’t a big problem, because I trust many reviewers stating that with movement “less is more”, but still, just contemplating… :wink:

What are your thoughts on the NLR V3 vs. NLR Motion Plus?

It will be one of these two for sure for me, one day…

@TELLURICO1975 big thanks in advance for all the work on your profiles! Great to have someone here who understands motion in flight better than the manufacturer - you should be paid by NLR! :smiley: Hope you keep us posted with updates.

Last fun-note for all of us immersion geeks here: I got also the Hurricane Wind Set by SimRacingStudio recently mounted on my rig and it’s really awesome fun when racing open wheelers or flying a double-decker (Waco YMF-5 being my favorite) or the Spitfire with opened canopy. Just saying… :crazy_face::rofl:

@SpurGiraffe8523 tested right now with fw 135.12 and app version 2.121.1.0 and everything works like a charm. Be sure to have the latest app version and to have activated the correct profile. Try trashing all the custom profiles you had and reimport them from scratch after downloading the latest version from here: LINK

If you receive a specific error, please let me know.

1 Like

@TonyTazer1504 I would be just happy with a free 6DOF platform from Motion Systems like THIS for example… I could help them a lot with the programming of profiles :rofl:

As for the two options I have to say I am very happy with the V3 and don’t miss much the full rig movement, I have connected my warthog stick and throttle to the moving structure and it helps a lot with fighters and other planes with a stick. I also use the 787 yoke from Thrustmaster which doesn’t move and I can live with it as well. The V3 can be brutal in high turbulence or while driving (I am a avid driving simmer too), and this is what I like the most, even if I end up with an aching neck after a few hours of driving! :crazy_face:

I would be curious to test the new motion platform and compare it to the V3… (Motion Systems are you listening?) :joy:

1 Like

This thread is about the Next Level Racing motion rigs; however, I don’t like that the monitors with Next Level Rigs are stationary. I’ve been looking into the Gforcefactory Edge 6D motion rig. (https://www.gforcefactory.com/edge-6d)

I’d prefer it over a Next Level Racing motion rig. The monitors move with the Edge 6D. Gforcefactory maintains a list of known peripherals compatible with the Edge 6D. I was happy to see that Brunner peripherals are compatible with the Edge 6D. Looking at the Next Level Racing motion rigs, I wasn’t certain if Brunner peripherals, which include force feedback, were compatible with it.

When I said that I was looking into the Edge 6D, I meant that I’ve been dreaming about it. I can’t have something like a Next Level Racing motion rig or a Gforcefactory motion rig at this stage in my life.

1 Like

@FlightSimFan305 I use the Motion Platform V3 both with VR and Screen (with TrackIR). Considering the price tag (less than half of the Edge 6D) I am very happy with it. I would like to test the Edge 6D to compare the motion and reactiveness. Of course having the whole cockpit moving is a good thing for immersion, but with VR it doesn’t make a huge difference I believe.

The V3 motion platform is independent from the other peripherals you use on the system, as it gets the data directly from the simulators, so if the sim you use supports your peripherals you are good to go.

By the way, from this video: Gforcefactory EDGE 6D with HTC Vive and IL-2 Sturmovik at Flight Sim Expo 2019, Orlando, Florida - YouTube the motion seems very unnatural to me… I would like to know if they allow to create custom profiles as NLR does…

1 Like

Everything that you said is true. Thanks for the video! Like I said, I’ve been dreaming. When I was looking everything up, I was combining the Motion Platform V3 with the Traction Plus Platform. It’s great to know that the Motion Platform V3 is great on its own. I could find able myself able to pay for the Motion Platform V3, but I wouldn’t be able to make it work in my current place of residence.

Hi all,

Just wanted to give my impressions of the NLR Motion V3. This discussion was very helpful to me in my research, and I want to contribute to it. I installed my V3 a couple of days ago in a GT Track rig. Both the rig and the motion platform are very well built.

The advantages for me of the V3 are:

• compact
  • it reacts very quickly, there is no noticeable lag
  • the software is very easy
  • motion compensation for Open XR ( Reverb G2 ) is standard and works flawlessly
  • it’s quiet

My search for something like this started with looking at full motion platforms but I never found them to be convincing at this price level.
Yaw2 looks nice, but lacks the Open XR motion compensation, and I definitely did not want to go back to Steam VR for MSFS. Then there was the issue of community, support, legacy,… All a bit more unproven for the Yaw VR brand. The NL V3 is manufactured by Motion Systems, a Polish company with a lot of experience in motion platforms of all sizes and Next Level Racing is one of the original race and flight sim hardware companies. I do think Yaw VR has something going there, just not for me at the moment.
DOFReality seemed a bit too bare-bones and clunky for me, although I do think that if you are a dedicated tinkerer/hobbyist, it’s a great platform to extend and customize.
Mechanically, I did not think Yaw VR nor DOFReality could match the reaction time of the V3, I might be wrong, but I looked at many clips of the systems in motion, and the V3 seemed to be able to handle very quick reactions, which makes sense since its throw is small, but its acceleration is immense.

I also have the combat flight pack to mount the Warthog Hotas. For those feeling that the stick position is too low - which I did - you can extend the height by fitting the supplied shifter mount first, and then the flight mount on top. The clamping part is wider than the top beam of the shifter mount, but you can shimmy that ( I did it with washers ). Then fit the stick’s platform on top of it all, pointing to the inside, because otherwise the stick is too far out as a result of the two offsets you created instead of one.

Flying is indeed much more fun with a motion system, and also a lot harder, as it should be. Quickly shifting and juking your plane to still make an ill configured landing - the type where you dive bomb onto the runway in order to fix it all with a nice big flare - is a no-no. The motion you induce will throw you off and make it very hard for you to keep mentally or physically steady.

A good landing will already jolt you a bit, like an actual landing will, but a bad one will leave you walking away rather unhappy, as it feels like you actually did something wrong. ( of course you will also smile at the fact that that little thing can do that for you )

Is it like really flying? No, of course not. The way your chair moves and how you perceive the g-forces is different than in an actual plane. But does it come very close? Yes, it does. Probably close enough to make you appreciate handling your plane in a steady and professional manner.

5 Likes

Disclaimer: I am NOT a pilot, and probably have little to zero knowledge to share… but it is all the more reason I want to THANK those that take the time to share and help fellow enthusiast out!
Infact, I usually only “LURK” these forums for knowledge and ideas… but was compelled to create an account to thank this individual.

[TELLURICO1975]

Just recently built my first “motion rig” (VR, NLRv3, Virpil, Monstertech…etc). I stubled onto this threat and Tellurico1975’s profiles casually surfing for info and settings ideas on the V3. – What I found TRANSFORMED my experience. From a “gimmick feeling” device to a TRULY immersive experience. (Totally wrong verbiage I am sure, for again… not a pilot)… but the difference between NLRv3 built in profile and Tellurico1975’s profiles is NIGHT/DAY. – Stock profile: feeling like I was on and amusement park ride, (very fake/artificial feeling)… Tellurico1975’s: OH MY… I don’t know what kind of “magic” you have done… but “side drifting” in something like a helicopter or small plane… ■■■■, I feel like I am traveling and about to go through the side of my house. AMAZING!

If you have somewhere to donate “Tips” for others to share their appreciation, let me know!
GREAT WORK! - THANK you VERY MUCH!

(mentioning a different sim: but you don’t happen to have any DCS profiles do you) :slight_smile: :eyes:

2 Likes

@JrodGoats thank you so much for your feedback! I am very happy you are having fun with my profiles!
I have profiles for DCS as well, but I didn’t share them yet because those are still a sort of work in progress. I will probably finalize a few things during the weekend and send them to you in private.
I will also send you in private my donation address, I am not allowed to post it here :slight_smile:

Have a great weekend!

I second that… The Kodiak profile is great. The Kodiak is my current go-to, since it offers so much realism. ( I wish there was a King Air with that kind of realism, the stock one is not bad but has too many buttons set to inop ).
When you make a turn, it really feels like in the seat of an airliner. You first get the inertial force, caused by your body resisting the plane’s movement, then you settle into the plane’s banking forces.
The GA profile I have only used with my Zenith 701CH. And it is a handful. Not sure yet if I prefer it over the stock profile, I will have to do some more flying, although some effects are very realistic.
I feel the Zenith would need its own profile as it is constantly being blown around by wind and air masses, and this translates to a lot of ( too much? ) g-forces. Gauging from Youtubers flying it, I don’t think it feels that twitchy, but I may be wrong.

1 Like

@QBziZ thanks for your feedback. Please remember you can use the sliders in the control panel to tweak the various forces of my profiles to your liking. I worked a lot to isolate them and assign each slider to a specific “feeling”.
You can also use the curves in the post-process tab to make things softer or reduce the excursion on each axis.

Indeed, I should do some more flying and tweaking. In any case, you have done a great job with these profiles. The feel is definitely spot on. For the first time taxiiing feels like taxiing, and banking feels like banking.

1 Like

@QBziZ what I did to achieve that was the simplest thing that came to my mind: capture the “real” G-forces from the simulator’s telemetry (instead of the banking angles as the stock profile does, which is a very wrong concept in my opinion because the platform moves in the opposite direction) and try to make the V3 move in the more realistic way to second that and trick the brain, especially when using VR.

Of course it’s impossible to do miracles with a 2 DoF platform, as you miss completely the “real” axis needed for the feeling of G forces: up and down. I had to make it move “forward and back” to give a faked acceleration feeling, but I think it’s the closer to what our brain can interpret as positive/negative G forces. I would be very curious to put my hands on a 6 DoF platform to see what I could squeeze out from it.

Banking moves the platform in the opposite direction of the given control (as it should be to simulate the lateral G forces) then, as you said, settles back if the turn is coordinated (in real life, when the side-slip indicator is centered, you are experiencing a 1G acceleration as when the plane is straight).

Yaw is really faked, because we completely miss the “rotation” degree of freedom needed to achieve the correct feeling (you would need the additional super expensive yaw module for that), but to my surprise it works really well and the brain is tricked to believe we are in a side-slip if we push hard on the rudder and counter that with the stick. This is a feeling of which I have a strong memory in my brain after many side-slip landings with real gliders.

Also taxi and ground effects are basically taken from the actual Gs you have in the sim: the texture of asphalt and grass is present in the Gs of the telemetry output from FS2020, and you can really feel the difference when moving from tarmac to grass. Try taking off from La Salette (with the appropriate free mod) in a Cessna 152 if you want to experience a rough ground effect (keep your neck’s muscles tight LOL) and then an immediate feeling of “clean air” as the wheels leave the ground!
I just amplified the ground forces a bit, otherwise it would be hard to notice them, but you still have the slider in the settings to manage that. Having a Buttkicker here adds what’s missing and I really think it’s a must for who has the V3!

Have a good day :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yes a Buttkicker. What I have is two Dayton BST-2 shakers mounted on either side of the seat’s platform. Nothing fancy, I just fixed them with zip-ties, and it’s rock solid. That was actually my mockup as I was thinking about more permanent ways of fixing, but it turned out to be firm enough by itself. Driven by a Nobsound amp and Simshaker software.
I think Yaw is nicely done because, although the proper axis is not there, the g-force can actually be simulated quite well with a combo of pitch and roll.
And a good day to you too sir!

1 Like