Achievements: Comprehensive List of Bugs and Workarounds

Below is a list of all Achievements in the sim as well as their description and notes on whether they are bugged based on my personal experience (Xbox user who started day 1 with the launch on Xbox which was also the release date of SU5).

I have seen many threads and posts where Achievements that I have completed seem to no longer work after any given update. On the flip side, there are Achievements that PC users (prior to SU5) seem to have had no trouble obtaining that have since become glitched after SU5, meaning Xbox users like myself have not been able to complete them. A huge source of the confusion comes from the fact that solutions that once worked are no longer viable so everyone has a different understanding of what works and what doesn’t.

This is an effort to consolidate, refresh, reset, and hopefully gain some Dev attention so that these issues can be acknowledged and fixed. The goal of this post is to be constructive and provide Devs with a single list of known issues as of SU7 so that they can be fixed; hopefully in SU8.

If you are experiencing bugs with any of the Achievements, please provide a description and I will update the status with a summary of your notes. The more feedback we can gather the better. If you know of any workarounds for bugged Achievements, I can add those as well.

Please also feel free to post if you want tips on completing any given Achievement and we can all share tips and help each other as best we can.

I have grouped the Achievements into three categories:

• BUGGED – NO KNOWN WORKAROUND
  • BUGGED – WORKAROUND POSSIBLE
  • NOT REPORTED AS BUGGED

BUGGED – NO KNOWN WORKAROUND

My Way

“Complete a non-stop 300+ mile flight from parking spot to parking spot, without assistance”

Bug Status: 1000000% Bugged (NOT User-Error)

Notes: The Holy Grail of broken MSFS Achievements. If you have this one, I envy you. You breathe rarified air and should go buy a lotto ticket. Since SU5/Xbox release you have a better chance of finding a snowball in the pit of an active volcano than getting this one to pop. The source of endless frustration and tears, it almost should be left alone at this point. This Achievement is cursed. More seriously, there seems to be a detection error at the parking spots. The sim is not detecting that the plane has landed and is now at the destination parking spot. Can the code be edited to widen the detection area?

Workaround: NONE. Prior to SU5 there was a workaround whereby users could enable the AI pilot to taxi to the exact location of the ramp. This no longer works as can be attested to by hundreds of depressed sim pilots.

Completionist

“Complete every activity”

Bug Status: Bugged

Notes: I’ve completed every bush trip (with associated Achievements unlocked) and completed every landing challenge multiple times as well as all trainings. I went as far as to uninstall and re-install the entire sim hoping that it would pop on a fresh restart. No joy. The Pilot Profile shows me as having completed “2/3” Bush Trips which is impossible considering I flew all 3 without assistance, and the sim gave me credit (Achievements) for completing them so I have the receipts to prove that this is broken.

Workaround: Unknown. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. Right now I’m in the process of restarting all three original bush trips to find the “missing” one and hope that it registers this time.

Decathlon

“Complete 10 weekly activities”

Bug Status: Not “technically” bugged but may as well be.

Notes: At the current pace, this Achievement will take Xbox users 3.1 YEARS to complete. And that’s assuming you see and can successfully complete each challenge.

Workaround: Asobo, please release weekly activities on a weekly basis and/or give us a predictable schedule. Please also consider not “vanishing” weekly activities. They’re good content and we need more of it at this early stage of development. This is a clear cut case of Xbox getting left in the dust. Most PC users have seen 9-10 weekly activities at this point while Xbox users only have one single activity. This needs to be balanced out.

Showing my assumptions:

• July 27th, 2021 (Xbox Release/SU5) to November 18th, 2021 (SU7/The first weekly activity for Xbox users) = 114 days
  • 114 days X 10 weekly activities = 1,140 days
  • 1,140 days/365 days (one year) = 3.1 YEARS to complete this Achievement. Come on guys…

BUGGED – WORKAROUND POSSIBLE

Service with a Smile

“Request each type of pre-flight Ground Service while at an appropriate airport gate”

Bug Status: Partially bugged

Notes: I tried to obtain this Achievement of the course of a week. I tried every conceivable configuration of airliners and airports and requested every ground service possible, again in a variety of orders and configurations.

Workaround: The Achievement popped randomly when I started at a gate cold and dark and turned on the AI pilot. If you’re stuck, my recommendation would be to request every possible ground service. Make sure you’re also requesting a ramp connection in addition to a gate connection. If it doesn’t pop, start cold and dark and enable the AI pilot to see if it pops.

Working for the Weekend

“Complete a weekly activity”

Notes: Not “bugged” per se, but there has only been one “weekly activity” (now called “spotlight events”) since SU7. Xbox users were able to obtain this if they completed the F/A-18 event with the release of SU7.

Bug Status: Not “bugged,” but “Weekly Activities” are released infrequently, and certainly not every week.

Workaround: N/A

World Traveler

“Land successfully at 500 different airports”

Bug Status: 5 landings should equal 1% of progress. The sim goes back and forth between tracking and not tracking. You can spend days landing at airports you’ve never heard of without result, then suddenly, the tracker becomes alive and you make progress.

Workaround: N/A. Just keep doing landings until the sim starts to register again. Make sure you’re coming to a full stop and make sure you’re landing at a “new” airport. Don’t expect your progress to always count. You’ll need to land at well over 500 airports to get this cheevo.

Jack of All Planes

“Complete a 300+ mile flight with every aircraft in the standard edition of Flight Simulator”

Bug Status: I’ve seen a few posts saying that this is now bugged (for certain planes only?). I was able to complete it shortly after SU5 release, but want to bring attention to it if others have been having issues.

Notes: Other than the (often unreliable) logbook, there is no in-sim tracker for the planes you’ve completed a 300+ mile flight that meets the Cheevo criteria. I highly recommend making a list of all default aircraft and checking each off as you go. Make sure that the Achievement progress has progressed before you check the box.

Workaround: Keep track of your flights with a spreadsheet or pen and paper. The sim won’t help you track your progress and you want to avoid a situation where you’re at 95% completion and don’t know which plane is “missing.”

Tour Guide

“Use the Smart Cam to view 25 star landmarks, from a distance of 550 yards or less”

Bug Status: Finicky

Notes: Landmarks don’t always register, even if you’re clearly focused on them. Volume is key. Just keep trying and eventually you’ll get it.

Workaround: Spam the smart-cam in high-density landmark areas (NYC, London, Paris)

Landmarks the Spot

“Use the Smart Cam to view 100 star landmarks, from a distance of 550 yards or less”

Notes: Landmarks often do not register. Detection is very inconsistent. Persistence is key and eventually you’ll get it to pop.

Workaround: Spam the smart-cam in high-density landmark areas (NYC, London, Paris)

Pilot Program

“Accumulate 50 hours of flight time in a single pilot profile”

Notes: Hours flow often do not register. Detection is very inconsistent. Persistence is key and eventually you’ll get it to pop.

Workaround: Keep flying.

Century Club

“Accumulate 100 hours of flight time in a single pilot profile”

Notes: Hours flown often do not register. Detection is very inconsistent. Persistence is key and eventually you’ll get it to pop.

Workaround: Just keep swimming flying

Journeyman

“Accumulate 500 hours of flight time in a single pilot profile”

Notes: Hours flown often do not register. Detection is very inconsistent. Persistence is key and eventually you’ll get it to pop.

Workaround: Keep flying. Eventually the sim will start tracking again.

Wing Commander

“Accumulate 1000 hours of flight time in a single pilot profile”

Workaround: Fly like your life depends on it. Use autopilot overnight. Circumnavigate the earth.

NOT REPORTED AS BUGGED

Short Stuff

“Land on a runway shorter than 2,000 feet, without using any assistance or bypassing any travel”

Bug Status: Not bugged

Notes: Not bugged as far as I am aware.

By the Book

“Request landing clearance from ATC at a towered airport, without using ATC assistance”

Mother Nature

“Adjust the weather during a flight”

Challenge Accepted

“Complete any activity”

Light Chop

“Land at an airport where windspeeds are in excess of 5 knots, without using any assistance”

Deadstick Landing

“After receiving landing clearance, switch off engines and successfully land on the runway”

Start Me Up

“Manually start the Airbus A320neo’s engines, without using Assistance”

A Few Bumps

“Land at an airport where windspeeds are in excess of 15 knots, without using any assistance”

Stay on Target

“Use the Instrument Landing System (ILS) to complete a landing”

Uphill Climb

“Land on a runway that has at least a 12 degree incline, without using any assistance.”

Bug Status: Not bugged (for me), but I remember seeing several posts saying that this one is bugged. Will leave on the “Not-Bugged” list unless someone chimes in.

Notes: See above

On the Green

“Land on a grass runway, without using any assistance”

Bug Status: Not bugged (for me), but I remember seeing several posts saying that this one is bugged. Will leave on the “Not-Bugged” list unless someone chimes in.

Notes: See above

Look Ma, No Hands!

“Utilize autopilot for a total of 600 miles”

Flights of Fancy

“Complete flights of at least 300 miles using a prop, jet and airliner”

Fill ‘er Up!

“Refuel at any ground fuel station”

Back-Up Plan

“Utilize pre-flight Pushback Service to move aircraft, for a total distance of 1 mile”

Rubberneck

“Use the Smart Cam to view a star landmark for 3 seconds, from a distance of 550 yards or less”

In the Wild

Use the Smart Cam to view animals for 3 seconds, from a distance of 550 yards or less.

Wheels Up, Wheels Down

Complete a non-stop flight of at least 300 miles from take-off to landing.

Greased

“Complete every Landing Challenge”

SIDs and STARs

Land at 25 star airports shown on the World Map.

Goldrush

“Complete the Nevada Bush Trip, without using any navigation assistance”

Notes: Make sure you don’t touch the “Back on Track” button at any point during the flight.

Fire and Ice

“Complete the Patagonia Bush Trip, without using any navigation assistance”

Notes: Make sure you don’t touch the “Back on Track” button at any point during the flight.

Anemoi

“Complete the Anemoi Bush Trip, without using any navigation assistance”

Instrumental

“Accumulate 50 hours of IFR flight time, including at least one take-off and landing”

Night Owl

“Accumulate 50 hours of flight time at night”

Hydroplaning

Accumulate 50 hours of flight time in rainy weather.

Job Shadowing

“Create a flight plan based on a Live Traffic aircraft, then fly the route without assistance”

Saddle Sore

“Complete a flight of at least 8 hours with a propeller or turbo-prop aircraft”

Frequent Flyer Miles

Fly from LFBD airport near Asobo Studio to KSEA airport near Microsoft HQ.

Notes: This is a long flight. Avoid CTD at all costs. I got this one by turning off all live weather and traffic.

Road Trip

“Taxi aircraft for a total distance of 100 miles”

4 Likes

Hopefully My Way will be patched soon, I’m gonna give it a few more attempts but I’d much rather be certain that it works, rather than spending a couple of hours on the off chance that it pops.

Also hoping there are more spotlight events. One thing though, not sure if you’re aware but if you happen to have a PC that is capable of running the game, if you complete the current event on PC as well it counts again so you will have 20% towards Decathlon and hopefully if they all work that way, we’ll only need 5 events so it will be more like a Pentathlon.

3 Likes

No way! Thanks for the tip.

I don’t have a PC but my brother does and casually mentioned installing MSFS since he has gamepass.

1 Like

I’ve experienced (I read many of the items above, not all) the achievement progress sometimes resets at a new update but not always. The bush trip’s progress sometimes do reset, depending if the new update fixes bush trip issues.

Also for airport landings, (500 different airport landings), my experience is it doesn’t count unless the logbook appears. The action of the logbook popup effectively “adds” the landing to the existing list of landings.
I did a landing at one airport without triggering the logbook, then took off and landed at another airport. The second airport landing appeared in the log, not the intermediate airport landing.
So I suspect the landing counts are tied to logbook entries.

2 Likes

On PC, I had no trouble with this one. The spinning white circle appears in the lower-right corner when you are using the Smart Cam and are close enough to the POI. You have to hold the Smart Cam for a few seconds before it registers, I believe.

The tricky part is switching ‘targets’ with the Smart Cam. Despite configuring various keyboard commands I could never get good control over the Smart Cam. The “next/previous target” commands don’t seem to work properly. I found that by using “reset Smart Cam” command and then mashing the Smart Cam view, I could sometimes get it to switch the POI I wanted (usually the nearest).

I noticed there’s an ever-growing discrepancy between the hours shown on your Profile page (big number on the left side of the screen) and the total hours shown on your logbook. I think the achievements only trigger based on the logbook hours, so you will likely hit 50 hours on the profile page before your logbook hits 50 and the achievement pops. Check the total at the bottom of the logbook for the ‘true’ figure that is being evaluated.

I seem to recall I had 102 hours on the profile page but only 99.x on the logbook, then the 100 hour achievement popped soon after that. Cause is either the slightly broken logbook, or lost time when the game crashes perhaps.

1 Like

Last weekend I lost my logbook. Accoring support no chance to restore.
Before I los sometimes some flights at the log.

I was few hours before 100 hours flight. With this loss, some achievements calculations are lost too. Even the data are not lost at statistics an even the reached achievements are not lost.

My polfile say now: 5 hours flight (4:39:04), my stats 427.289 second i.e. 118:41:29, the achievemenst says 50 hours reached, but 5% for 100 hours achievement.

This means some achievements are calculated by log book and others by profile statistic.

My observation:
log - taxi trip
log - pilot program
log - greased
stats - hydoplaning
log - century club
log - night owl
stats - SIDs and STARs
stats - World traveler
log - Jack of all planes
log - Journey man
log - Wing Commander

Due to Microsoft does not support restore of the previous successful stored logbook, achiements in MSFS means your flight statistic combined with logbook stability of MSFS and it´s cloud service :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Hope SU8 brings more stability and standard mechanism to prevent data loss.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.