Add support for AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution (FSR 2.0)

I’m on the verge of building a MSFS-only gaming PC based around 5800x3d and just waiting for GPU prices to fall. I assumed that I’d want to go with Nvidia, but it looks like it will be safe for me to choose AMD if MSFS is supporting FSR so this is good news. I was thinking either 6800XT (if prices fall a bit more) or 6700XT (looks like just released 6750XT offers little in the way of performance increase over original)

You can go completely native with that CPU and GPU, I’m running RYZEN 7 5800X and RX 6600 getting over 120 FPS at 1440p on default Ultra setting. In the cockpit it’s over 150 FPS and outside is around 130 FPS. The 6800XT is WAY faster than the 6600 so 4K native should be well over 100 as well at least with High End preset. I can’t see any difference between Ultra and High End myself so I use High End because I run dual monitors (4K & 1440) taxing the GPU less. High End can be over 200 FPS for me on 1440p. All of these are overkill for MSFS IMO, it’s not like it’s a fast paced shooter.

Wow, I’ve never heard of FPS numbers that high in MSFS. How are you achieving this?

I have dual monitor like you (4K + 1440p), play on the 1440p monitor, 8C/16T i7-10700, RX 6800XT, 32GB RAM, mix of Ultra and High settings, and I get half the frame rate you get.

AMD GPUs seem like a much better value than Nvidia (unless you can get those at msrp, which I can’t) and the only game I will play is MSFS. Comments above make me wonder if for 1440p (no VR) I could get good performance with new 5700x and 6750xt combo and save money over x3d and 6800xt which would be overkill? I’m coming from xbox x and want something on PC that will be at least as good as that.

Nothing out of the ordinary. 32 GB RAM as well, 3600 MHz DOCP enabled so RYZEN infinity fabric runs at ideal 1800 MHz, Resizable Bar enabled. Default High End preset with Vsync off and refresh rate lowered for PFD & MFD dropped to Medium, it has a stuttery effect switching from instruments to windshield view on High. That doesn’t effect framerate as far as I can tell though. No overclocking, nothing out of the ordinary as I said.

Wow, would love to see your graphics settings page and the dev mode FPS counter to see what I’m doing wrong!

Funny you should ask I thought you might, I just uploaded a down and dirty video a few minutes ago. To my dismay Radeon settings metrics overlay doesn’t work in msfs and every time msfs loses focus AKA you click anywhere else the frame rate switches to N/A but as inelegant as this video is you will still get the idea. The lowest it gets is in the upper 90s but that’s while I’m swapping all around between monitors trying to get the frame rate to display at the same time as the video but generally it’s around 120 FPS average. YouTube may not have processed it to 1440p yet but again you’ll get the pertinent data. As I explained I’m not doing anything unusual other than resizable bar you don’t have or an AMD RYZEN CPU. Please ignore the sloppy flying too while I try to deal with all of this.

Thanks. I’ve never used the AMD overlay tool, so I’m not sure how it works or what it measures. I always use the built it Windows game bar (Windows key + G) to check my frame rates and HW utilization. Maybe these two tools display different calculations and that explains why our frame rates are so drastically different.

They are the same, they measure FPS like Afterburner or any of them.
The built-in developer tools FPS counter uses such a tiny font I don’t bother with it, that said I don’t run around checking FPS all over the place anyway, the only reason I did was because I just got this RX 6600 card. I thought it was going to be a real quick simple thing to launch the sim, set up a flight and record it with OBS with the overlay but it wasn’t and I work nights so it was way after my bedtime and I wasn’t going to fool with it anymore. You got the idea anyway.

One last question before I possibly try this myself.

Do you have all of your popped out windows and the AMD overlay on your 4K monitor and the actual flight on your 1440p monitor?

Asobo, make it happen…baybay!

Please??! :sweat_smile::sweat_smile::smiley:

They did say it is coming. FSR 1.0 might be SU10, FSR 2.0 maybe later.

1 Like

Really? Man,this is exciting. Flight simulator running at a higher frame rate would be a dream come true.

3 Likes

offers tea with room for cream, sugar or a bit of lemon

I believe we would want a smoother frame rate without regard for their number.

:wink:

1 Like

Since most people are main thread (CPU) limited in MSFS, it probably won’t do much. DLSS and FSR will be nice for people who are GPU limited, but that’ll mostly only happen on 4K or in VR.

3 Likes

I used to be firmly in the “it won’t help” camp, but I’ve changed my mind for two reasons:

• CPU usage has improved dramatically in the last few months
  • CPU/GPU balance varies significantly based on scenery/location and weather

In some circumstances I’m actually firmly GPU limited today, and would benefit from DLSS or FSR. (DLSS should work in my case, I have an RTX 2070S.)

And if I swap my current 1440p monitor out for a 4K one, I’d benefit even more from a high-quality scale-up tech.

2 Likes

Not sure about PC but FSR 2.0 should help Series X users, especially if Asobo make some optimizations of their own. I am of the opinion that the sim can stay at a consistent 60fps with tweaks and a few compromises perhaps.

I say let the user decide if they want absolute best fidelity or a smoother and more seamless frame rate. Should really help with the immersion and sense of speed when flying fighter jets as many of us fly the fast jets only. Fps in a game where things are constantly moving forward are very important. I was kinda disappointed to not see 60fps implemented as a standard across all SX games.

1 Like

It would be great if they implemented it, and with that lowered the internal resolution of the game. Currently, resolutions look like this on consoles:

Series X: Internal rendering - 1440p, upscaled to 4K
Series S: Internal rendering - 1080p, with the same output

With FSR 2.0, it would be possible to lower the internal rendering resolution to 1080p on X and 720p on S while still outputting great image quality at 4K and 1080p respectively. This would help overall performance and sticking more to 30 fps, or even raising the framerate on glass cockpits. Currently they run at 15 fps on consoles, it would be great to see them run at full framerate.

1 Like

15fps in glass cockpits? So fighter jets are going to be 15 fps if you fly cockpit?

That has to be some kind of bug surely?

If only game developers considered poor performance as a bug…