Aerosoft Twin Otter baby!

We’re talking about the plane and right now the big news about the plane is a popular mod was taken offline. No one is being bullied or attacked in this thread.

That could be scriptable, of course, after first making backups of files to be modified.

It does kind of make that addon linker software pointless at this point, which is a great way of toggling addons on or off.

But I would still find it hard to trust the motivations of a developer that has behaved this way to its customers. I wish them luck with whatever project they push out after this.

True, but not be me - I know NOTHING about scripting! It would also antagonise Aerosoft’s legal department of course…

1 Like

No, writing your own scripts is nothing to do with Aerosoft thankfully, and I would gladly go to court to face them down over that. I don’t think even they are that arrogant.

If you had CCM’s latest mods, could you script them by any chance?

Possibly.

In essence you would be doing a few things. Getting the content of the file into a variable, searching for a string in that variable, and replacing it with another, then writing out the contents to the original file.

If you want an excellent example of how that might work, take a look at the work done by @anon50268670 in this thread:

I have that mod and couldn’t do without it, in fact it’s the reason I asked if you could script the Twin Otter mods. I appreciate it’s a case of finding what has changed and where, manually if necessary, so it wouldn’t be a quick job by any means.

In essence you would do this, mutiple times per file:

(Get-Content -path testfile.txt -Raw) -replace
` "Replace this", "With this!" |
Set-Content -path testfile.txt

You can add as many “-replace” arguments as you need per file, and one of these blocks per file that needs to be altered.

The changes could be found fairly easily with Notepad++. It does a very good job of comparing two open files, and showing the changes graphically, even if they have been moved to adjacent lines.

From a documentation standpoint, that can sometimes be a better way rather than making a backup file.

You make a copy of the line you wish to change, and paste another copy immediately above or below the line you mean to change with a “#” symbol, or whatever is used to comment out a line. The file contains everything needed to revert to the original.

This is what the Rad Alt needle is supposed to do. If it would stay at 2500 ft, it would be very confusing/misleading to the pilot. Rad Alt is not DH per say. The bug sets DH. You can have a Rad alt without a DH bug, although I have never seen one. On EFIS equipped aircraft Rad alt is displayed on the EFIS screen or EADI. It simply disappears above 2500ft.

2 Likes

This is an analogue, made in 1965, physical piece of metal needle. It doesn’t just disappear.

1 Like

The needle actually goes behind a little “curtain” at the top of the gauge so it’s no longer visible. The animation in the AS TO is a little janky but if you watch it, that’s what happens.

4 Likes

Other DH gauges with the same “curtain” don’t have their needles disappearing over 2,500ft. I’ve never seen this before in 20+ years of simming.

I have never seen what you are describing on real aircraft having worked on them for 27 years, including the twin otter.

1 Like

Brilliant!

Don’t use my mod then, it’s not compulsory.

I mean, the dude’s username kinda checks out though…

1 Like

I could change mine to Wright Brothers. My surname actually IS Wright, and I have a younger brother.
But I’m not an internet troll, so that would be pointless.

1 Like

Those credentials also check out :face_with_monocle:

I’m just having a lighthearted laugh.

Much appreciated my friend, we need a laugh these days!

2 Likes

Here’s the discussion on this exact issue on the AS forum from just a couple of days ago:

Decision Height selector knob - Systems - AEROSOFT COMMUNITY SERVICES

I was surprised by the answer (like you) but I have never been in a Twin Otter in real life so I have to go off what folks in the know have to say.