Aerosoft Twin Otter baby!

Anyone considering the purchase of this aircraft right now, just ask yourself why a low-fidelity, $35 aircraft has a thread with over 2400 replies to it. Spend some time doing your research.

Caveat emptor.

6 Likes

Tbh, the sounds aren’t that bad necessarily, there’s just some awkward transitions that can break immersion. It’s still a very fun aircraft to fly and have fun with.

2 Likes

The new Wind System with SU10 infects all light Aircraft. It’s not the Twotter alone with this behavior.

2 Likes

True, but newer aircraft seem to handle it really well, that is why I think the Twotter needs an urgent update. SU10 beta was around for a while, plenty of time for a big studio like Aerosoft to prepare an update, this is what is frustrating.

1 Like

im actually gonna fly it again this week, give it another go

Flew around Mobile, AL area and when landing I had to give full aileron left or right depending just to keep it from tipping over plus rudder control.

Ridiculous.

Depending on the weather that really may not be unrealistic.
Flightsims are overly stable specially in the landing phases.

Watch landinggs with a bit of wind irl and large yet short aileron deflections are made quite often.
You now actually have to stay on top of the plane. Happens in not just the Twotter.
Landing in wind should be quite a bit of work.

3 Likes

The Twotter is a light STOL Aircraft with a big Rudder Fin, so Crosswind will hit it very nice.
Asobo has changed the Turbulence System and added Gusts. And they overshoot the Target a little bit. At higher Altitude, we had erratic changes in Wind Speed and Direction about 10 Times a Second. So every lighter Plane was wobbling around the Z-Axis. Even Asobo ones. Heavier Planes where less effected. This was very unrealistic.
It seems after the Canada World Update, this was changed. Gusts and Turbulence are still there, but at a lower Frequency.
Below 1000 feet, when Wind is effected with Buildings, Hills and Forests, the Gusts are at higher Level and it could be challenging to land a Plane at higher Crosswind Levels.
I think it’s still a little bit to rough some Times. But that’s on Asobos Side, not Aerosoft.
And watch out the max Crosswind Levels. If they are near the Maximum, it’s a Fight to land a Plane.
There are a lot Videos of Crosswind Landings for lighter Airplanes like the Dash-8 on Youtube. Not so much for the Twotter. I found this short one. Watch the Windsock at the End. High Wind and Gusts.

3 Likes

That is a nice video. That’s also why so many people love the Twotter. Such a fun and unique plane.

What I’ve noticed is that Asobo introduced a lot of new variables into the simulation with SU10 and this has caused problems to some plane’s flight models, specially aircraft released earlier. The Otter, at least on my experience, is one that suffers a lot, even a 5knot crosswind will make it unflyable sometimes. Tail is all over the place, it has this weird banking on the runaway, any crosswind will make it shake almost out of control, and I really think it needs some flight model refinements.

I have several planes and newer ones seem to work as expected. For theses planes, the new wind simulation works nice and makes sense, crosswind landings are fun… 414 flies fantastic, analog Caravan is great, even lighter planes are fine e.g. Tiger Moth.

Twotter is unflyable to me, unless you pick clear skies preset, or fly most of the time with AP on. Others have issues too, like the Arrow, with the weird jerky pitch. The Fox2 shakes too much, similar to the Otter, etc…

Last otter update was a long time ago. They have to update it urgently, in my opinion, to account for the new CFD models, new wind variables, etc. Sound could come after.

Fun plane, but unflyable in the current Sim build.

Just my 2 cents.

5 Likes

Yes, they added gusts and improved turbulence calculations in the SU10 but I pretty doubt they adjusted it with the Canada World Update as there was no update to the MSFS code. Only scenery files. Plus there was only one week between these two releases.

The Gusts and Turbulence System is not ready yet. Sometimes I have this Tail Vibes, the last two Days not. At the Moment, the way they inject the Gusts is to much. We will see the new Weather System with SU11. The Flight Model of the Twotter needs Adjustments, for sure. But some Asobo ones too.
But Asobo should finish their Work at the Weather System first before a redone of the Flight Models is useful. The Twotter is not unflyable. I fly it often. Yesterday in a heavy Wind with high Turbulence and Gusts around Tangier. It was a challenge but manageable. And I decided to Land at Tangier with a 38 knots Crosswind blowing from 10 o’ Clock. More a Helicopter Style Landing.
Lets wait for the completed Weather System and hopefully, Aeorosoft will redone the Flight Model and the Sound Setup at once.

Agree with your comments about the need to update the Otter.
Aerosoft are currently on my “No Buy” list .

9 Likes

Yes - I only started using civvy flight sims seriously with FSX SP2, and used freeware for years. The first payware I bought was Aerosoft’s Beaver - and I still love it and wouldn’t be without it in my Air Hauler freight companies, flying rough Alaskan and PNG trade routes.
Their two Twin Otter releases for FSX were great - the Extended series especially. I also have several of their other relases - their BroncoX is phenomenal imho.

This one is a dud compared to those. Not only that, I’ve lost all confidence in them for future FS releases and was on the fence about the CRJ, but won’t now be buying that.

It isn’t so much the failures, but the attitude.

3 Likes

so glad MSFS has wind effects now - especially on TO and landing. I think this is the first time most simmers have had to deal with crosswinds and gusts in a flight sim. Now the windsock MATTERS.
You also want to have really looked at the weather conditions and runway headings before you have pressed the ‘Fly Now’ button - finally. It especially makes light and high wing aircraft operations more interesting.

Folks, this topic is starting to drift off to a discussion of wind in the sim.
That can be discussed in the threads on that subject.
Please keep posts in this thread specific to the Aerosoft Twin Otter!

Yes, exactly, there are enough critical points to the Twotter, e.g. unacceptable sound and suboptimal FM. When these serious issues are solved then let’s talk about the influence of wind, sun and rain . . .

1 Like

Aerosoft has received new sound files and is looking for testers.

8 Likes

Hi all. Aerosoft just got some new sound recordings for the Twin Otter, to improve the sounds. If you have real life experience with the Twin Otter, Mathijs Kok is looking for people to help test the new Twin Otter sounds:

We are building a new sound set for the Twin Otter and we would like to invite some testers. Clearly we prefer people who have experience on the model because it has a internal sound that is rather peculiar (with nearly no sound dampening and the props directly aligned the the cockpit).

We do have some pilots assisting us but it is clear we have to find a balance between what it should be and what is expected.

Contact me on [e-mail snipped, go to the Aerosoft post for the e-mail] if you like to assist us.

Look at the previous post: it was already mentioned 13 days ago :wink:

The virtual spoiler used to simulate prop drag was a bit harsh at 60 degrees, so it was dialled back a bit in an update a few months ago. Now it has arrived at MP as well.