Aerosoft Twin Otter baby!

It now sounds like a twin otter. At long last!!! Thats exactly how they sound when passing our house :+1:

2 Likes

I doubt it. The manual is actually a book on the Twin Otter and it is excellent. It alone is worth the price of the plane.

1 Like

Besides the sound was anything else fixed?

Yes indeed, with my older Altec Lansing surround system and sub, the new sounds are just so immersive. Comparing with video, it’s spot on. Really enjoy the Twin Otter, and new even more (no longer will use the FTSim+ sounds on this bird).

Only saw new sounds in the release notes.

I was hoping for some FM tweaks and after a first flight it seemed better, but I tried again and it is the same. Very unstable under minimal wind, feels too light and fishtails a lot. Excessive banking on takeoff, even with almost zero crosswind.

New sound is actually really good. Hope they give some attention to the other issues too.

1 Like

Thank you for going through the trouble, very useful video!

Startup unfortunately doesn’t sound much improved. There is still a significant lack of transition between the engine spooling up and the prop taking over.

Throttle input transitions do however sound much better all throughout.

They fixed the sounds. It took forever, but give them credit, they came through and made good on their word. And the sounds are fine. They’re good.

Howeverrrr. (You knew one was coming, didn’t you) - after a year (when was this thing released?) are you seriously telling me they could not be bothered to change/fix/patch another single thing about this aircraft? Nothing at all? So literally all they released was the new soundset?

The sim has undergone multiple updates, flightmodelling changes, weather changes, CFD stuff… All of that was added to the sim, but Aerosoft are seriously saying “Nah. Plane’s good.” No bugfixes? (there are bugs, would you believe it). Flight model improvements? Quality of life improvements? Nada?

Here’s your sounds, now sod off. That’s the feeling I get a little bit. Shame.

20 Likes

I agree 100%. Very frustrating. So many single devs and other much smaller companies doing amazing things on this Sim and they can’t even keep their plane up to date on the new physics and other SDK improvements.

3 Likes

“We are planning to do so with SU12.”: Flight Model? - Manual Flight. Auto Flight - AEROSOFT COMMUNITY SERVICES

2 Likes

So far the sound is quite an improvement on the previous sound package… but…
still a couple of remarks:
positive:

1. I like the added bass in the sound
  2. the interior and external sounds (with 1 exception) are very smooth
  3. no bleeding ears anymore
  4. no talking people anymore while shutting down engine

negative:

1. if you start engine 2 first, after starting up in non/feathered way, the engine sound goes mute after a couple of seconds while the engine just keeps spinning
  2. I bound the proplevers to a controlwheel on my joystick, while making adjustments it gives a non-smooth sound
  3. when shutting down and putting the throttlelevers to the off position, they “start” a separate sound without a smooth transition from the current soundlevel
  4. touchdown sound of the wheels are to loud and to artificial in my opinion.

Despite the negative points (maybe Iam the only one suffering from it, but please let me know)
its an overall great improvement of the sounds. Unfortunately it took way to long in my opinion, but it was well worth it waiting for.

3 Likes

Yep, I noticed that yesterday when testing the new sounds. Kinda disappointing.

Still waiting for Orbx to update Orbx Central so I can get my update and checkout the sounds.

Commercial TTS sound set with the old mod from flightsim.to is still way better. Reverted to that one after testing the updated sound. Otherwise nothing at all. What a disappointment. Never bought anything from them since the Twotter and will stay with this.

3 Likes

I wonder if the fishtailing is (at least partly) accurate. This video of landings at St. Barths shows the twin otter fishtailing and fighting the wind significantly more than the Cessna Caravan and the Pilatus PC12:

3 Likes

A testflight I made tonight with some of the issues i mentioned in the previous post
Testing the new Twin otter sound update to st Barth - Twitch
I think I also hear some small voices between 0:14:37 till 00:15:03. Could be some other interference but i didn’t noticed it throughout the rest of the flight.

1 Like

Hello,
Specifically for someone looking for a nice VFR plane, is it worth it?
I would like to have it but the opinion of the community is more important than the videos of youtube influencers.

I like the basic side of the instruments and the dual motorization

(I already have the kodiak and the 414 for info)

Thanks

I consider it as a fun plane. Its not in my top 5 anymore. It gathered dust in my hangar for the last couple of months because of the flightdynamics and especially the sound. Only today i took it out for a spin to check out the sounds. They improved a lot but still needs some work.
But it you like to take a fun classic plane for a flight to lukla or st barths, and dont care about the issues mentioned above, than the twotter is a great plane for you.

2 Likes

if this was a year ago and there weren’t as many choices for great planes this might make my list but given that there are so many great choices out there (and a lot of them for a lot less money) i wouldn’t recommend this one.

the blackbird Cessna 310R is a great vfr (or ifr if you’re so inclined) airplane. it’s quite a bit sportier than the 414 you have already and if you need a short field bush plane you’ve already got the kodiak.

the big radials goose is a wonderful multi-role plane with amphib and ski capabilities. the viz (for vfr sightseeing) isn’t great but it’s not great in the twotter either.

there are lots of other planes but those two come to mind right away for me

2 Likes

That is a great video. The Twin Otter looks like it has to be downright driven down to the ground.

3 Likes