Aerosoft Twin Otter baby!

I have that mod and couldn’t do without it, in fact it’s the reason I asked if you could script the Twin Otter mods. I appreciate it’s a case of finding what has changed and where, manually if necessary, so it wouldn’t be a quick job by any means.

In essence you would do this, mutiple times per file:

(Get-Content -path testfile.txt -Raw) -replace
` "Replace this", "With this!" |
Set-Content -path testfile.txt

You can add as many “-replace” arguments as you need per file, and one of these blocks per file that needs to be altered.

The changes could be found fairly easily with Notepad++. It does a very good job of comparing two open files, and showing the changes graphically, even if they have been moved to adjacent lines.

From a documentation standpoint, that can sometimes be a better way rather than making a backup file.

You make a copy of the line you wish to change, and paste another copy immediately above or below the line you mean to change with a “#” symbol, or whatever is used to comment out a line. The file contains everything needed to revert to the original.

This is what the Rad Alt needle is supposed to do. If it would stay at 2500 ft, it would be very confusing/misleading to the pilot. Rad Alt is not DH per say. The bug sets DH. You can have a Rad alt without a DH bug, although I have never seen one. On EFIS equipped aircraft Rad alt is displayed on the EFIS screen or EADI. It simply disappears above 2500ft.

2 Likes

This is an analogue, made in 1965, physical piece of metal needle. It doesn’t just disappear.

1 Like

The needle actually goes behind a little “curtain” at the top of the gauge so it’s no longer visible. The animation in the AS TO is a little janky but if you watch it, that’s what happens.

4 Likes

Other DH gauges with the same “curtain” don’t have their needles disappearing over 2,500ft. I’ve never seen this before in 20+ years of simming.

I have never seen what you are describing on real aircraft having worked on them for 27 years, including the twin otter.

1 Like

Brilliant!

Don’t use my mod then, it’s not compulsory.

I mean, the dude’s username kinda checks out though…

1 Like

I could change mine to Wright Brothers. My surname actually IS Wright, and I have a younger brother.
But I’m not an internet troll, so that would be pointless.

1 Like

Those credentials also check out :face_with_monocle:

I’m just having a lighthearted laugh.

Much appreciated my friend, we need a laugh these days!

2 Likes

Here’s the discussion on this exact issue on the AS forum from just a couple of days ago:

Decision Height selector knob - Systems - AEROSOFT COMMUNITY SERVICES

I was surprised by the answer (like you) but I have never been in a Twin Otter in real life so I have to go off what folks in the know have to say.

The Twin Otter Extended for FSX/P3D did the same thing, that doesn’t make it right. No other DH Gauge needle I’ve seen since FS9 (the NextGen EMB-110 is a current example) does the same disappearing act - the needle always sticks at 2500. As I said earlier, I make no claims to this being accurate, true to life or whatever, so if you don’t want it - DON’T DO IT!

Asobo has done a great job with the weather. Flying the TWotter is very addicting to say the least.

The TWotter is a amazing all weather aircraft. Since the weather is very improved in the sim it makes flying the plane very enjoyable. I just got the Kodaik 100. It’s in my hanger.

Scouting for a frozen lake landing in Alaska near Dillingham. The Twotter is the go anywhere toy in the sim… I really like the low altitude performance.

5 Likes

Well, a clever way to make a needle disappear from view available in 1965 is to make it go behind a black disc. It’s quite common for radar altimeters. See this picture of another model of radar altimeter in a real Twin Otter. You can clearly see the black disc in the upper left quadrant where the needle can hide.
No magic here.

3 Likes

Fair enough, but that’s not the same type that’s modelled by Aerosoft. As I said earlier for the deaf and blind among us, I make NO CLAIM to accuracy to any true-to-life example you care to upload here - if you don’t want to make the change, DON’T DO IT!

Maybe surprisingly, but it actually is. In the topic linked above someone has a picture from the sim looking at an angle and you can see where it disappears.

Sure doesn’t look like it from the front, though.

3 Likes

As I said earlier, this also happened on the Twin Otter Extended for FSX/P3D. Why does the gauge increment STOP at 25? Why doesn’t the needle ALSO stop at 25? What other gauge behaves like that?