After playing a few hours, FPS drops from 40 to 5FPS

766 votes since August 21. Likely many who voted never removed their vote after it was fixed for them, same goes for comments. I had also at some point this issue but on my end it was fixed so I removed my vote again :wink: so it’s not fixed for you by now which is sad but that’s not the truth for all users.

1 Like

Please, at the end of the day its still a game issue. Something the devs have yet to acknowledge regardless if you feel like your sim is working. Im sure the majority of simmers on this discussion forum fly 1-2 hours max. But i can guarantee you, for those hardcore simmers doing oceanic flights will come across the issue more often than not. People post screen shots of computer performance all the time, with the exact same symptoms. So what does that mean? Was it really fixed? No. You cant fix something unless the devs acknowledge the issue… let alone replicate it.

And not all users need to have the same problems. The fact of the matter is when you purchase a product, you expect the product to work. Everything about that product should work. Not a quarter of it, not half of it. All of it. This game is not usable amongst its full potential. And its sad because it costs alot of money to fully emerge the flying experience within this game.

3 Likes

Unclear as you did not provide any information on your system from what I saw in the whole topic (had a quick look).

It seems you only fly with unsupported community mods installed on an unknown sim and computer configuration with routes mostly unknown, unknown altitude and unknown waypoints. There are way to many variables in what you actually post here.

These screenshots mean nothing at all. I deal with performance testing and these are simply no metrics. To properly measure performance you have to hook up another computer which is monitoring the systems vitals in detail (not the stuff you see in task manager or sim debug!).
Also, as said, as much information as possible should be provided on such issues AND it has to be recreated using default aircraft in first place.

Saying that you got XXX CPU and XXX GPU on Windows 11 also is not enough to let them devs know your system. Which Windows build? Which .NET version? List of the latest patches on OS level, list of drivers installed (DX Diag), RAM type installed, Motherboard type and BIOS version. Then your sim settings, resolution, temps from flight start to end (would be part of the mentioned monitoring as your system may throttle down due to heat).

The developers have to be able to recreate the situation as close as possible using a virtual machine configured as close to your own environment as possible.

That would be at least helpful instead of a constant rant that it’s not fixed :wink:

1 Like

So basicslly what youre saying is for all these simmers who have experienced the same issue over and over again, its irrelevant because you think you know everything? Cmon man, be realistic. I dont need to state xyz when others already have. And to common sense knowledge, people can clearly relate to the same problem. Community mods OR not. Its also not uncommon for devs to hide information, not saying this is what Asobo is doing, but again you need to be realistic.

5 Likes

You are saying that you had the performance issues similar to which are described in this thread? Was it degrading performance over flight time, with decreasing CPU and GPU utilization? And, do you recall at what point, and by which update or hotfix your performance issues ceased?

2 Likes

No, certainly I don’t know everything but proper reporting is mandatory to get things fixed. Your computer is a black box basically, like the computers from others who just complain and don’t report anything helpful :wink:

And what does lead you to be so certain that it’s a sim problem and not anything driver/.NET or OS related as you said it clearly has to be an issue with the sim? Am really thrilled to know this!

Yes, that’s what I say :slight_smile: basically in my case I noticed a performance increase on SU9 in general compared to others but the over time issue stayed on any aircraft (default or not) and it even got worse after some Windows 11 update, so I did some research.

One of the Windows update had a known issue corrupting the .NET installation so I reinstalled .NET, rebooted and started a flight from OMDB to EDDK using the PMDG 737 (8h). It went just fine with around 40fps (capped 30 + G-Sync) on 4k. The next day I tried different routes (like EDDK to GCTS and EDDF to KJFK) and did not notice any CTD or decrease in performance at all - and it stays till today this way :slight_smile:

I also created some advice on this over here:

That may not help everyone due to hundreds of thousands of different configs but maybe some will benefit :slight_smile:

1 Like

Will try the Net framework re-install. Thanks.

EDIT: Hmmm, the fix in the video actually caused an exception error and closed the program. I did do a reboot. Will try again and post back.

Just completed a flight. No exception error this time, but also no difference in performance. My GPU is running around 60% at the terminal at KLGA after landing, CPU core working the hardest varies between 33 - 40%. Very stuttery as I pan around inside the cockpit. As soon as I go to Main Menu, what’d’ya know…GPU jumps to 100%.

I would really like to know why I get full utilization in the darn Main Menu, World Map, Marketplace etc, but lame performance in sim. This behaviour is recent. Until around the time I installed the latest update, my GPU would run at 100% from loading until closing the sim. There has got to be something that the software is doing that is somehow throttling my hardware. BTW, my GPU maxes out at 62 degrees and my CPU at right around 60.

1 Like

unfortunately I can relate to that 100%

you are right that all those metrics are needed to debug and analyze the issue. BUT none of us has a computer lab at home AND we are the customers it is not our job to debug everything for the devs. We see and experience it day by day that there are issues and we can at least provide some information / metrics about to issue to give some hints to the DEV team but the hard work of analyzing it down and finally debugging it is still part of their job and most probably only they have the proper equipment to do so. So yes I get your point and technically you are right but please stay fair and realistic about what can be done by whom.

2 Likes

Agreed in most of what you say but I was especially talking about the most basic information some don’t even provide like a list of drivers.

There is a windows/DirectX tool called DxDiag (DirectX Diagnostics Tool) which can export a list of all drivers installed related to audio and video.

The build version of the OS can be viewed by hitting Windows key + Pause key. As well as the processor used.

Even a monitoring tool (perfmon) is actually part of windows, so one does not need to have a “lab” to provide a bit more than “This **** does not work fix Asobo!”. :wink:

That’s why I said "as much information as possible knowing not everyone is a QA out there. Anyway there is a lack of what kind of information a user should at least provide - that should have been described by the devs/community staff as over time performance related issues are hard to be analysed if they only happen on some system constellations.

Stop trying to shift the blame onto the users.

This is a huge show stopping bug that affects countless users and is unacceptable as is the current state of the ATC and a long list of unfulfilled promises and half finished others or things just turned off because they are so bad.

6 Likes

I have uninstalled the ‘game’ and i feel like it’s the best decision i ever made.
They clearly do not care about the affected users, if they would we would have seen clear coms and apologies.
When i see how others developers for other “!!!Sim!!!” communicates and share progress for upcoming release i am just blown away.
Msfs might get decent performances at some point, during su9 beta until last 2 patch, the performance was really good, since that they have made a choice and are betting on su10 and beta dx12 to compensate for the issues…(i doubt it would work as we hope as it will still be beta stage…).
Wasted soo much time with this game that i only come here to realise how good my decision was.
Uninstalled and parked, for good.

1 Like

That’s a fine post but in my case, using a high-end machine with all updates installed and drivers all current and in fairness MSFS runs very well most of the time, giving 50-65 fpm but… then I get the occasional day where the sim grinds to almost a standstill after 4 hrs+ use, giving around 5 fpm whereby I have to exit, and restart.

I have had this issue to varying degrees since Dec. 2021 to the present day. I had very good and consistant performance during the first six months of 2022, but now I’m having occasional severe loss of fpm after 4 hrs or so of flight with both default and 3rd party airliners.

Clearly there’s more going on than just a configuration issue with my rig. No-one can shed any light on the random nature of the problem.

My experience echoes that of so many other users that it’s too convenient to blame individual players. I strongly suspect the problem lies with Asobo rather than with the end-users.

5 Likes

Would an apology fix anything?

1 Like

That’s a fine post but in my case, using a high-end machine with all updates installed and drivers all current and in fairness MSFS runs very well most of the time, giving 50-65 fpm but… then I get the occasional day where the sim grinds to almost a standstill after 4 hrs+ use, giving around 5 fpm whereby I have to exit, and restart.

@Delta2k5 and exactly posts like that make it very unlikely to be just an individual issue for some users. It is remarkable that most of us complaining about those performance issues and stutters seem to have those effects occur after about 4 hours - coincidence? I don’t think so.

As of the progressing nature I would bet there is some memleak going on and finally the CPU/GPU gets too much load in a spike and then it’s over. Also the newly created issues with memory could not be read errors or breakpoints which have been reached are clear signs of bad programming which has to be fixed by Asobo.

I think it is also very strange why only one CPU core is utilized most of the time and the rest is almost sleeping. This behaviour has been reported like a year ago and still nothing happened? Multi-Threading is nothing new and should definitely be kinda Standard for a modern game which indeed requires a lot of ressources and power to deliver such a great experience like it could. Unfortunately we see a continuing decrease in graphics quality and overall rendering quality as this seems to be the only way the devs can achieve a little more stability.

I know it is easy to talk as a customer wishing this and that and complaining why it is not working. To be fair it is a mega project to accomplish what Asobo and MS have started here and there is so much potential in this sim. But on the other hand MS is one of the biggest IT companies with loads of manpower and infrastructure behind it and also Asobo is not new in this business so yes I think it is acceptable that we as customers who already paid for a “working” title expect this to actually work. I still don’t get it why Asobo continues working on new WU to give us more and more content while there are soo crucial defects? I would concentrate all my teams on fixing and analyzing those annoying defects to finally get a stable and solid base to build upon. You know what I mean?

2 Likes

The sim is fairly well multi-threaded already. It would not be playable on a single-core processor.

The issue is not so much the lack of threads, but the efficiency of the work done by the threads.

In my case yes, an apology would show a state of mind.

To be fair if you had some sort of Cray Super 20ghz single core machine it would run, probably with less stuttering :smiley:

I see what you mean. It’s possible it’s because this has been dragging on for a while.

When I was flying with X-Plane, and my sim crashed due to a bug in the then-new Vulkan version, I don’t remember s single user on the XP forums demanding an apology over anything.

When someone demands an apology for something, to me it always reads with an air of self entitlement. Personally I wouldn’t want an apology. I would want them to fix the sim. That is more important than Jorg, Seb, and Martial being paraded around on stream in sack cloths, and ashes, beating themselves with reeds.

On the issue of how multi-threaded trim is, it’s my understanding that one thread has to coordinate all the others, keep them in sync as it were, and that thread will most likely always be the busiest. That thread will run on one core, so the whole thing can only run as fast as the fastest core.

I will be interested to see how this pans out with Intels 13th gen. chips. Those chips will have so called efficiency cores. My hope is that this governing thread doesn’t end up on one of those.

The devs have probably already hard-coded thread priorities/affinities in such a way that it wouldn’t be playable on that theoretical PC.