After playing a few hours, FPS drops from 40 to 5FPS

Does the same thing happen when alt tabbing alot? I usually alt tab alot and this is the first time i’ve come accross it, though i didn’t use live traffic before which would explain it. I’m surprised this hasn’t been fixed as the thread was started in april

Joining the club, have this issue as well after SU5 hotfix2

1 Like

I have the same

1 Like

I’ve submitted a bug report to asobo and refered to this thread, hopefully the more reports they get the faster they will fix it.

3 Likes

Hello everyone,

there are multiple topics on this issue, that have been closed.
This should prevent the splitting of votes and it may help in finding a solution.
Since they may still hold valuable information, these are the links:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/possible-memory-leak-with-live-traffic/432655

2 Likes

Hello.
TY for the solution. It happens to me after 2h flight, down to 14fps, GPU lazy and CPU low usage. Turn off then on live traffic made the trick.

3 Likes

I have the same problem , fps drop from 80 to 20 and I have the Live Traffic off

2 Likes

So I have no idea what’s going on and what the variable is that’s causing this issue.

1st Flight - Salty mod 747 from KSDF to OMDB and all mods in the community folder. Over the ocean the performance started to degrade with dips into the low 20s. Approaching Dubai, my fps dipped into the teens and remained that way until around 2500’. After touchdown, fps improved back to normal.

2nd Flight - Using stock 787 from KJFK to PHNL with no mods in my community folder. Performance never appeared to degrade and remained constant. Flew to PHNL and turned around and went back to KSFO. No change and performance stayed the same.

3rd Flight - Using stock 747 from KSDF to OMDB with no mods in my community folder. Performance never appeared to degrade and remained constant. Flight had no issues.

4th Flight - Using Salty 747 mod from OMDB to KSDF with all of my mods in the community folder. The entire flight went fine with no performance degradation. Was really surprised to see this and it was after hotfix #2.

5th Flight (Currently on the flight) - Using Salty 747 mod from KSDF to EDDK with all of my mods in the community folder. The flight was going fine until over the ocean when I got the dips in fps again. Just got over land and my fps randomly dip down into the teens and jump back up to the 40s. Limited by main thread. CPU and GPU performance appear to be decreased. I’ve tried turning things off and back on again without any success of improving the sim. Will update when I land how things went.

One thing I will say for this last flight I tried. I saved my flight progress. Exited to the main menu without closing the sim and reloaded the flight. All seemed to go well and performance went back to normal

1 Like

In conclusion, we are forced to leave our flight to find our fps

Great! So, I’ve wasted half of my day with a flight that started at 40fps and is now at 20fps. Can’t wait to see how this ends.

A user on AVSIM suggested on a slightly older thread that P3D has a similar problem and that it may be some “similar code” that’s been brought over. I think that’s a reasonable suggestion with some truth in it.
EDIT: Turning off live weather brought the fps back ever so slightly, but still not enough for me to continue the flight. Oh well, the ups and downs us simmers have to go through! :sweat_smile:

Guys you just have to turn OFF real trafic and than back ON, the FPS will be back to normal, other suggested to turn OFF live weather and than back ON! For me live traffic workaround works!

1 Like

If you are using real time traffic, try toggling this off then on again.

1 Like

Live traffic works on about a 15-20 minute lag - so when you first start the sim, limited traffic will appear until a period of time like that has passed. So when you toggle off and then on again, the “feed” is reset and I suspect you’ll need to wait a few minutes again until the traffic starts to appear.

Same problem here, but I don’t even use live traffic.

7 Likes

There may be more than one thing going on here, at least in my specific environment.
After some hours of playing, flying on autopilot:

Live traffic enabled - In stationary cockpit view, FPS drops from 30 (capped) to 11-12. Shut off live traffic, resume. FPS goes back up.

Live traffic disabled - In stationary cockpit view, FPS remains near 30. When panning view from inside cockpit - severe FPS stuttering and audio crackling.

3 Likes

Same problems here:

Aircraft is 747 or airbus.
Flying region makes no changes.
Weather updates are off. No changes on day / night.
GPU: 5700XT ~ 40%
CPU: 10900K ~ 10%
RAM: 64 GB DDR4 3600 ~ 11GB Usage

Same problem here, using both FBW A320 and PMP A330+fbw compatibility patch.
I7-9700f, 16GB Ram, GTX 1660 6GB, 1TB SSD dedicated to MSFS only. After 3-4 hours I start getting degraded performance, crackling audio when I pan around the camera and FPS down to 12 when I started at 30 (locked at 30). I don’t use Live Traffic so that’s not the problem, also I tried both with Live Weather and with presets and there’s no difference, so must be something else. Also I tried an entire flight without alt+tabbing in and out of the simulator and the problem is still there. I reported everything to zendesk 4-5 days ago but no answer yet. Anyway, no issues if the flight is shorter than 2 hours, only on longer flights I start having degrading performance. To me it looks like a bug or some poor programming in some part of the code. Definitely not a CPU/GPU/memory issue as they run well below 100% and temperatures are well within acceptable limits.

6 Likes

Had the drop again today. From range of 45-50 felt back to 10fps for the last 25mins of flight. Tried to switch off multiplayer, weather, traffic, you name it, couldn’t increase it. GPU’s performance went down to 30% and 40C (instead of ~70C). CPU felt on a holiday itself as well instead of hard work.
At landing it was 5-7fps only. Looks like have to put away the sim until the next patch :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

I get this aswell. Very frustrating…

4 Likes